Status: Contest entry//finished

Gray Lady

One.

March 15th 1917

“Cobi no, you cannot go and leave me here alone! I will not allow it!” Anastasia half shouted as her husband of only four months told her the grim news. He stood in the door frame stiff but a grim look plastered on what would otherwise be a handsome face.

“But I have too, it is my duty.” He replied softly as she shook her head, the clip that was holding up her dark hair fell out letting her dark hair tumble down her shoulders to the middle of her back.

“I thought your duty was at home, with me.” She replied as she passed her hand over her stomach. Anastasia didn’t speak the words, she didn’t need to, the meaning was clear enough.

“It is.” Cobi started as he watched her face tighten, he was going to have to phrase this very delicately or else risk starting a fight. “But right now, my country, and yours needs people to fight. Without people to fight home will not be safe anymore.” Cobi watched Anastasia for a moment as her dark eyes filled with sadness and then with tears as she pressed a hand to her mouth, unable to believe that this was happening. “Anastasia.” He whispered hoarsely, his Russian accent taking over as his eyes blurred with tears, despite his attempts to blink rapidly. The girl looked at him before rushing into his arms as he pulled her close to his body hearing her sobs and barely managing to hold back his own.

“No, no you’re not allowed to go, I forbid it.” She told him through the tears her Russian accent almost taking over.

“I still have a week before I leave, and it’s not for good, I’ll be back.” He whispered as she slipped her arms around him and he stroked her hair, willing to spend as much time with her as he could before he left, potentially forever.

March 22nd 1917

“No don’t leave, stay just a little bit longer.” She told him in a playful tone as he let out a groan. Anastasia had been doing to Cobi all day, dragging him back inside whenever he mentioned that he was leaving.

“I have to go Anastasia, you have to let me go.” Cobi told her softly as she wrapped her arms around his waist and his around her.

“You’re not allowed, I said so.” She whispered back before he pressed his lips to hers for a moment before pulled away. She looked up and down at his green army uniform not believing what was going to happen, that her Cobi was going off across the world to fight. To die she couldn’t help but think painfully before pushing that thought to the back of her mind.

“I love you.” He told her as he held her tightly, not wanting to let go.

“I love you too.” She kissed him again, a quick peck on the lips before he smiled at her and pulled away from her.

“Now I have to go, but I’ll write every chance I get, I will see you again, and the baby too.” He promised her before he walked off the driveway as Anastasia watched him walk down the road. He looked back once and waved to her, with a sad smile she waved back as a tear slowly rolled down her face.

June 23rd 1917

Smiling brightly to keep the dark thoughts out of her mind Anastasia walked to the front door. It was Monday evening, which meant that mail had been delivered during the course of the day. She put a hand over her stomach; it was just starting to show that she was with child. Sure enough as she approached the door there was a little pile of white letters on the floor. She approached them quickly as her heartbeat began to race, so loudly she could hear it in her ears. She bent down close to the floor and picked up the mail, going through the letters furiously praying that she would get a letter back from Cobi. It had been weeks since she had gotten a letter and she had begun to fear the worst. She found the last letter which she tore open quickly seeing that the address on the front was handwritten but not noticing it wasn’t her Cobi’s writing. She scanned the letter eagerly for more news of when he would return home safely, that perhaps this would be the last letter to her. She read the letter once, then twice as it hit her that it wasn’t his writing. Her face turned into a look of horror before her eyes filled up with tears as her knuckles turned white from gripping the thin sheet of paper that made her worst fear come true.

“No, he said he would come home. He promised me.” She whispered to herself fiercely as the tears began to roll down her cheeks. He was dead, he was gone forever. She had lost her Cobi.

August 13th 1917

“I’m sorry Miss but you lost the baby.” The doctor said as soon as she could open her eyes. She was groggily and wasn’t sure where she was.

“Where am I?” Anastasia asked in a dazed tone as she tried to sit up but a hand on her shoulder held her back. The walls were white, the coats were right, even the man who had spoken to her seemed to be unusually pale.

“You’re in the hospital Miss. You were hit by a car while crossing the street….” The man went onto explain as she stared at the wall in shock. “I’m sorry Miss but we couldn’t save the baby.” He finished with as her eyes filled up with tears again. The baby, it was gone, the one thing that she would have had left of Cobi other than memories, it was gone. It was all gone. The doctors continued talking but she didn’t hear them. The tears were already flowing freely, she didn’t need to hear anymore.

June 23rd 1950

Anastasia waited at the window as she brushed her gray hair back behind her ears and passed a hand over her wrinkled face. The years had not been kind to her, they had treated her with divorce and despair. They had been a mess without Cobi. Despite the many long years that had passed and how memories faded and eroded the memories that Anastasia had of Cobi remained almost clear as day.

“Cobi, why did you have to leave me?” Anastasia asked out loud as she stared out her window, like she had done day after day since news of Cobi’s death had travelled to her, she was waiting for him to come home. To walk up the drive and catch her when she ran towards him so she could kiss him and she could show him the baby, their baby. Every day that passed she waited proved to be another day of hopelessness, because her Cobi would never show up, she would never see his face again, never kiss his lips again and never hear his voice again. She would be alone for the rest of her days.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so slightly depressing right now. It gets better. This will be a two part thing.

Comments are always appreciated