The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

Leave the Dreaming to the Dreamers

Raven's P.O.V.
I woke up the next morning feeling absolutely bubbly, which was odd for me. Bubbly is not something I feel very often.

I walked down the stairs after taking my shower and doing the other necessary things for work and found Casey still passed out on my couch. We had hung out here last night and Casey had had too much to drink.

I shook her gently causing her to grumble. "Hey, I'm going to work. There are pain relievers in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom if you have a hangover."

"Okay," she said groggily and fell back onto the pillow. I chuckled and headed out the door.

"Good morning Darren," I cheerily greeted as I walked into the store. He waved as I took my place behind the counter. I put some music on to play over the speakers and started my daily routine. So far, today was going perfectly and I had a feeling it was going to stay that way.

Zacky's P.O.V.
I barely slept last night. I felt terrible and I haven't done anything yet. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I do tell her.

I pretty much just laid in bed until about 10:30 just thinking about how I was going to tell her. Every way I thought of sounded too harsh or too stupid. I don't think there was anyway of not hurting her so I'm just going to have to get it over with.

I got dressed (very slowly) and grabbed my keys. I had just started out the door when I decided to see what was on T.V. first. Yeah, I know I'm procrastinating but I don't care.

After going through the channels at least five times, I finally told myself to stop and get this over with. I picked up my keys, got in my car, and drove to Raven's.

I rang the doorbell and waited about a minute. Just as I was about to leave, Casey answered the door.

"Where's Raven?" I asked her.

"She's at work," she said, somewhat annoyed. Damn it, i was hoping to catch her at home.

"Okay, thanks Case."

"Yeah, whatever," I heard her mumble as I walked back to my car.

I walked into the CD store and probably one of the worst songs that could be playing at the moment filled my ears: Sweet Child O' Mine. Of all songs that could be playing it has to be this one. This is just my luck.

Raven was behind the counter reading a CD booklet. The closer I got to her, the more nervous I felt. I don't even know why. I knew she'd understand. I guess it was because I didn't want to hurt her...again.

She looked over at me when I was about five feet away and smiled sweetly. "Hey Zacky. Whoa, you don't look too good. Are you sick?" she asked, her smile becoming a concerned frown.

"No, I just didn't sleep very well last night." She nodded, but I don't think she believed me. In truth, I really did feel a bit sick.

"So, what brings you here?" she asked as I sat next to her behind the counter. "Were you that eager to see me?"

I actually managed a smile as I said, "Well who wouldn't be?" She giggled and pressed her lips to mine. She pulled away and rested her head on my shoulder.

"I love you Zacky," she said. Okay, now I really had to get this over with before something bad happened.

I sighed. "Raven, I need to talk to you." She lifted her head off my shoulder and looked into my eyes. "In private," I added. Raven nodded and led me outside in the back.

Raven's P.O.V.
I'm worried. What could he need to talk to me about while I'm at work? What's one thing that couldn't wait? So many things rushed into my brain: most of them were terrible things.

We stood outside for a few minutes before anyone spoke. I guess he was looking for a place to start.

Finally, Zacky placed his hands on my cheeks and said, "Raven, I love you more than anything. I wish I didn't have to do this."

I nodded but couldn't say anything. I think I know what's coming.

"The thing is," he paused, searching for the right words, "Kate's pregnant and I don't want my baby to grow up not knowing his dad and I don't want to have to keep shuffling it from parent to parent."

Tears started streaming from my eyes. I should have known all this was too good to be true. I mean, look at my luck in the past; whenever something great happened to me, something went horribly wrong in return.

"Raven I'm so sorry."

"No, it's okay. I understand." I didn't want to be selfish; he wasn't after all. He pulled me into a hug and I cried into his chest.

It was at least ten minutes before I calmed back down. Zacky lifted my head by my chin and wiped the remaining tears from my cheeks. I then backed away and stared at the ground.

"I better get back to work," I whispered.

Zacky nodded and said, "I'm not going to kid myself, I still love you and I think I always will."

"Me too," I agreed.

"Well, maybe I'll see you around. Bye Raven." I heard sadness in his voice. Obviously this was hard on him too.

"Bye." I watched him walk away and I re-entered the store. Well, this day has officially become horrible. And to think I thought nothing could tear us apart. I guess I should have left the dreaming to the lucky people.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait again. I didn't want to mess this one up. I might get another one up tonight.

Comment?

M. Vengeance