You're the Reason Why

The Promise

Fully dressed in dark blue jeans, and a black lace shirt, wearing combat boots, Rooney followed Kitty around the grounds outside. So far, she'd been loving being here. She'd met a few good people, and a few that had already threatened her. Kitty assured her that nothing could go wrong because Professor X had been in charge. But Rooney was sure even he couldn't always protect her.

"Rooney, I want you to meet somebody." Kitty grinned and walked over to another girl. She was a little taller than Kitty and Rooney, and had a white streak in her brown hair. "Rogue, this is Rooney. Our new school mate."

The girl, Rogue, turned around and smiled. "Hi, Rooney. Nice to meet you."

Rooney smiled and held out her hand, in which the girl stepped back a few steps. "Uh, you, too?"

"Roon, you can't touch her." Kitty whispered.

The girl smiled. "It's fine. Alot of people don't realize, and forget. See, I don't have a very good power, but at the same time I do. One day, you'll find out." She smiled and walked off towards a flower patch.

"I'm so lost.." Rooney whined as she played with her shirt slightly.

Kitty grabbed her hand, walking her towards another mutant, one that was taller than any one she'd seen so far. "Jeep!" Kitty called.

Rooney gasped as the guy turned his head. His brown long-ish hair blew in the light breeze. Shaking her head, she started to remember things she knew didn't belong to her anymore. She closed her eyes tightly, wishing they would stop.


"Don't you dare, Simon!" Rooney called out. "Don't you dare!" She growled ducking behind a tree.

"Do you really think that saying my real name, and hiding behind a tree will save you?" She heard the smirk in his voice. At the time, it had been deep, and strong. He had a tiny country accent, since he had been from Texas.

Her heart beat faster as she climbed the tree. Sitting high up, but how she got there, she had no idea. "Not getting me!" She called down, smirking as she hummed their favorite song.

She heard him spray the water gun on the tree. Sure that if she had been down there, she would have gotten wet. "Missed?!" He groaned, looking around for the white haired girl.

She giggled. "Miss me, miss me! Now you gotta kiss me!" She sang.

"I'd love to." He walked down towards the other end of the house, looking around those trees. "Where'd you go?" He whined.

Rooney laughed as she tried to get down. But she realized how afriad of heights she was, and chickened out. She turned around, hoping it be able to sit back where she'd been. Her footing was lost and down she fell, towards the wet ground. The grass getting closer. She screamed.

"Rooney!" Jeep called, but she knew he'd been too far to save her.

She kept waiting to hit the ground, waiting to break a neck, arm, something. But never did she hit the ground, never once did she get wet. Opening her eyes, she realized she'd been in Jeep's arms. Holding her like he hadn't seen her in years, and afraid she may have forgotten him. "How'd you.." She muttered, looking at the other side of the house.

"Rooney! God, that was close." He whispered in her ear.

"Simon, how did you do that?" She asked, looking back up at him.

"Roon, didn't you see? I went into the shadow."


Rooney shook her head. She couldn't believe she could remember that. It must have been two years ago, if not longer. She couldn't believe remembering every detail.

The guy had been shocked, too. His green-grey eyes grew wide. "R-rooney?" He asked, clearly thrown off.

Kitty looked from one to the other. "You... you know her?" She almost sounded let down.

Jeep nodded. "She was-- I mean.. we were.." He looked at Kitty, then back at Rooney. "We were friends." He shrugged.

"Friends?" Rooney laughed. "The one thing I do remember about you, is that we were more than friends. I don't think friends would lay there with each other all night, making out and touching each other." She rolled her eyes.

Jeep blushed as Kitty looked at him, even more hurt now. "You told me you'd never done those things. You said you'd never had a girlfriend because nobody ever liked you."

"Baby, I swear, when I met you, I forgot about everything else. You were all I could think about!" His accent was almost gone, but Rooney could still tell he had one. It was sexy, and made her melt almost as much as Logan's did. But she didn't dare tell him she still liked him, and after this, she didn't think she did.

Kitty shook her head. "You lying bastard.." She muttered. Tears in her eyes.

"No! Kitty! I swear, I hadn't had a girlfriend. I mean, yeah. Rooney, but that's it. I really didn't have another, and I had forgotten about doing all those things!" He tried, and failed to get out of his lie.

"Kitty," Rooney started. She felt sorry for them both. She knew Jeep meant well, because she never wanted to remember him either. "See, this is the truth. When we broke up, we decided we didn't want to remember each other. We realized that being together for so long ruined us, and we wanted a new start. We promised each other that we would go out, find somebody new and start from scratch. No matter what." She stated. It had been the truth, with a small lie.

There had been no promise. They each had been together so long, they wanted to start something new. New lives, that's all they wanted. The break up was too hard to handle, so that's when they promised to forget each other.

Kitty nodded, seeming to buy this truth, and the small lie. "Okay, I guess I can understand that." She nodded again. She let go of Rooney's hand and hugged onto Jeep. "I'm sorry!" She sniffed.

He rubbed her back, assuring her it was alright. He winked a thanks to Rooney, and then carried Kitty to a tree nearby.

Sighing, she sat down on a small lawn chair she had been standing next to. She looked up into the sky, it had been cloudy, so not much sun was showing. She wanted to remember exactly why they broke up. She knew bits and pieces. Maybe he cheated? No, Jeep may have been a jerk back then, but not to that point. Maybe, just maybe, it was Kitty. How long had they been together? Maybe she had been the reason. All she knew was that the break up had been hard on her, and on him. She could remember the phone call she had gotten late one night, two weeks after they split.


Rooney picked up her phone, looking at the name. Not wanted to, she answered it. Tears welling up in her eyes once more. "What do you want?" She asked coldly. She pulled at her black pj pants with little red hearts on them.

His voice sounded just as sad, just as lonely as she knew hers was. "Roons, I want to make up. This is killing me!" He whined.

She laughed, covering up her sobs in the middle. "No, no it's not. You're the one that wanted the split, you got it." She bared her teeth as she talked.

Sighing, Jeep said, "Yes, I wanted to break up. But I've realized I can't live without you."

"I can't live with you."

"I need you, baby."

"Don't call me baby, or I'll call my daddy on you." This shocked her as much as it did him.

He sobbed a little before saying, "I'm sorry. I think we should start all over."

"I agree. Let's start all over. I don't remember you, you shouldn't remember me. We've been together for years and nothing good ever came out of it. I think it's time we started our new lives away from each other." She added.

"No, please, no." He begged over the phone. His voice sounded snotty.

Tears left Rooney's eyes as well as she glared at her sheets. "Simon, I think this is the best thing for us. If we ever come across each other, years and years and years from now, and we still haven't found happiness. Either one of us, then we can try it again. But until then, I want my own life. I don't want a guy in my life anymore. I want to be free like I never have been."

"Fine, as long as you promise one day we can be together again."

"There are no promises, other than the promise to forget each other for now. And to start living life as it was meant to be lived."

And then he hung up after saying a, "fine!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! I quite like this chapter as well xD
Comments are lovely!