You're the Reason Why

Truth Time

The sky was so light outside, I slipped on my sunglasses as I sat in the tall grass. I hoped nobody decided to take a stroll today, but since it was a pretty day they would.

Sure enough, as I sat there for no more than ten minutes, a couple walked by. They held hands and giggled at each other. I just rolled my eyes and continued trying to remember by past. Logan said Jean could help, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the offer. Did I really want to know my past? Maybe there was a reason I hadn't yet.

I leaned back on my hands and stared at the clouds. Watching them move slowly, and take the shapes of rabbits, turtles, stars, buildings, and other little things. I smiled. One thing I could remember about being little was the father/daughter cloud watching times. This couldn't be made up, I've seen videos.

After an hour of laying out in the sun, I decided to get up before I started to burn. Of course, when I stood up I ran into Jeep. I jumped back, almost falling over as he looked down at me, a tear falling down his cheek. "What are you doing out here?" He asked.

"Is there a rule that says I can't?" I asked, crossing my arms. He shrugged and started to walk on. I grabbed him by his black skull shirt and pulled him back. "Jeep, what's going on?" I asked.

He looked down at me and tilted his head. "Sorry?"

I rolled my eyes and dropped my hand. "I want to be caught up. Do you really think I want the rest of my life to be a lie? I believe things that didn't happen, and things that may have happened that I'm not sure I want to know."

"I don't think you want to know your past. Rooney, it's not safe." His voice cracked a little. I think this hurt him more than it hurt myself.

I shook my head. "I want the truth, Simon."

He jerked a little at the sound of his real name. But he nodded and waved to the ground, telling me to sit down.

I did as was told, watching him sit down in front of me. "Rooney, when you were little, you were just figuring out your powers. You never knew what they were, or why you had them. But you liked to try new things out, no matter if it was in front of me or your parents or friends." He started. I stared at him, confused.

"I've always had powers?" I thought they were given to me by another mutant. I figured that's how I could soak up other mutants powers.

"Yes, and you have so much more than you know of. Your real mom died giving birth to you because you were so powerful. Your dad swore he'd raise you, but it turned out to be a real job. So he got married to another mutant, hoping she'd take care of you. But one day you took all her power and she, too, died."

"So I kill people." I nodded. I knew I didn't want to know..

He sighed. "You wanted to know. Then.. one day you wanted to try out her powers. I tried warning you that you weren't going to be able to handle it, but you're stubborn. So.. the test failed and you lost memory that day." He muttered the last part.

The part I was more worried about was the fact I killed people..