New Direction

Ohio, Here I Come!

“I’m not going,” I didn’t shout, I didn’t scream, I didn’t yell in her face; I said this calmly, only stating a fact.

“Joey,” Short for Joanna, I’m a girl. “This is a great opportunity for your father- for all of us,” I stopped reading my latest novel and stared at her over my glasses.

“Mom, this is an opportunity to leave everything I love behind,” I continued reading. “If that’s a great opportunity to you, then so be it. But I’m staying here,” My mother sighed in frustration, slamming her fists against the table. I didn’t jolt, I was used to this kind of behavior. My defiance was more then irritating.

It was down right annoying.

“Joanna Nicole, you’re going, whether you like it or not,” before I could think of something to say, she stormed out. This whole thing felt so cliché, like a teen movie. I shook my head, placing my bookmark between the pages of Cell before jogging up the stairs to my room. I could struggle and say that I wasn’t going hundreds of thousands of times, but I had no choice. They were the only family I had - they’re both the only child and their parents were dead- and, since I’m not a legal adult (only a year away, too) I had to go, anyway.

I sighed, grabbing my backpack and tote bag, setting them on my bed and continuing to my dresser. I was sad, of course, but I was proud of my dad for getting us through. I made a mental note to thank him on our way to our new home. It wasn’t something I wanted to think about, but it was something that couldn’t escape my mind. It was going to be fun to live a new life. But, everything I loved was here in L.A. I was going to miss every inch of this place.

Luckily, I had no one to say goodbye to. I was the outcast… not that I cared, in the slightest. Everyone who’s ever laughed, pointed, or threw me down is going to regret it.

They’ll all be working for me one day.

Joanna Nicole Perkins, 17, Los Angeles, California. Incredibly smart and talented, and not afraid to show it.

They’ll regret it one day.

They will.