New Direction

Deep Blue...Secret.

School was school.

There was nothing special about it.

But, as Will drove us back to my apartment, my head was spinning.

I was going on my first date tonight, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready.

“Do you want me to help you pick out something to wear?” My mom offered, already starting for my closet.

“He said he’s taking me somewhere with fish…”

“The aquarium,” my mom laughed, shuffling through my dresses. “He’s taking you to the aquarium, then you’re going out for sea food.” I was shocked at how amazing my mother was at reading men.

“This is perfect,” she brought out the only black dress I owned, matched with shoes and a jacket.

God, she worked fast.

“Put them on!” She tossed the clothing to me, shoving me into the bathroom with considerable force.

My head was spinning, thoughts of what would happen tonight clouded my head, and I found it hard to get my mind off the fact that I was going on a date with someone who made my friends miserable. Sighing with frustration, I finished getting dressed, slipping on the heels and jacket, looking in the mirror. To my satisfaction, I actually looked really good, aside the flat hair and smudged make-up, of course.

My mom wasn’t finished yet.

I stepped back into my room, clearing my throat at my mom.

She turned, smiling, accessories already in hand.

It didn’t take long for my mom to finish my hair and make-up. Once she finished, she stepped away, tears welling in her eyes already.

“Ah, mom,” I giggled, squeezing her tightly.

“You’re growing up too fast, Jojo,” my nickname. Of course. I smiled, looking in the full length mirror.

I looked…incredible; so to speak, not like myself at all. My bland hair was curled, my short legs looked like they went on for miles, and my smile practically lit up the whole room. It was a change, but a good one.

“There he is!” my mother exclaimed as the knocks echoed up the stairs. I suddenly felt the butterflies that had built their home in my stomach as my mom ran down the stairs. I heard David’s voice and I smiled as he chatted with my mother about how he was going to take very good care of me.

And he also complimented her hair.

Bonus points.

I took a deep breath, saying to my reflection (as I usually do before big occasions):

“Good luck, Joey. You’re gonna need it.”

I made my way down the hall, pausing at the top of the stairs, like this was an important entrance.

And it kinda was.

David’s face went from laughing to shock as he glanced from my mother to me. I grinned at him (he looked so handsome, if not adorable and, well…beautiful), descending the stairs, careful not to fall.

Heels weren’t my best friend.

“Okay, let me get a pictuuuure!” my mother sang, pulling out her camera as me and David crowded together. His arm made cautiously its way around my waist and he smiled as I snuggled slightly into his side. My mother snapped the picture, quickly, begging for another.

“Mom, save it for prom.” I mumbled, winking at her. Her eyes gleamed, rushing us out the door.

“11:30, at the latest!” she called after us, watching as David opened the door for me, helping me into his truck.

Such a gentleman.

“You look…incredible.” he breathed with a wide smile.

“Thank you very much. And, if it won‘t hurt your manliness too much…you look beautiful.”

By the look on his face, no one has called him that (not since he was a new born, at least. Babies are gorgeous.) for a loooong time.

“Thanks… Did you figure out where we’re going yet?” David questioned, pulling out of the driveway with poise.

When I get my drivers license, no one would dare get in the car with me. I’d be so clumsy and uncoordinated.

“Well, maybe… I think…” he laughed, sensing my nervousness.

Was it really that noticeable?

“Well, we’ll see if you’re right when we get there.”

It was silent for a bit, and once I got annoyed with it, I turned on the radio, searching through the stations with speed.

Finally, after a good 5 minutes of tuning, I found one of my favorite songs. I chuckled, turning it up and singing along.

The scars of your love
They leave me breathless
I can’t help feeling


To my surprise, David joined in, happily

We could’ve had it all
Rollin’ in the deep
You had my heart inside your hand
And you played
To the beat


“Y’know,” I asserted, turning the radio down with a grin. “your voice is great.” David’s cheeks grew pink as he smiled in my general direction, continuing to watch the rode.

“Y’know,” he repeated. “It’s not nice to mess with people.” I slapped his shoulder with a snicker.

“I’m serious, Dave. You have some solid pipes.”

“Well, thanks… Your voice is something else. It’s so clear and sharp… and beautiful…” I almost couldn’t hear the last word he mumbled, but I smiled, replying with a “thank you”.

We reached the aquarium soon after and I laughed at my mom’s skills once again.

“How’d you know?” David inquired, handing the usher our tickets.

“If this is embarrassing, then bless my soul…my mom told me.”

David stifled a laugh, leading us to the glass tunnel.

I noticed that no one was around, and spotted a small, two seating table at the end.

How romantic.

“Mother’s intuition?” he joked, leading me down the tunnel, arm linked with mine.

I rolled my eyes, but grinned, replying, “Well, I guess you could call it that.”

I stared up at the fish and sharks and shuddered, slightly; only at the thought of the glass breaking, like in Jaws.

As we closed in on the table, David pulled out my chair (like the gentleman he actually is) before sitting himself down.

“So,” I alleged, staring up at a fish swimming by. “What’s your favorite color?” He wasn’t sure if I was serious about the question, but once I smiled, he chuckled.

“Blue,”

“Why?” I continued. He’d never thought this hard about something so simple. No one has, that’s why it’s my favorite question.

“Well, ever since I was a kid, I loved water. That’s why we came here, actually. I love the thought of the blue tide carrying the white foam to the shore.”

…Could I be anymore in love with this boy right now?!

“It’s the fact that so many things live in the ocean, that we can’t see, but that are waiting to be discovered.” I added as the usher placed our food in front of us. David looked surprised at my reply.

“My favorite color’s blue,” I explained, slicing off a piece of fish and putting it in my mouth.

We talked for a long time, laughing and asking questions as the date flew by.

By the end of the night, I thought I knew everything about David.

But, I just wanted to know one last thing.

“David Lee Karofsky,” I implored, taking his hand in mine. “Do you trust me?” David raised his eyebrow, smirking.

“Joanna… Are you asking me to marry you?”

I burst out laughing.

“I’m too young for that, c’mon. No, I have one more question for you before we have to leave. It’s life or death.”

“Your’s or mine?”

I pondered that for a moment.

“…Neither. BUT, I still wanna know.” With a laugh, he ushered me to go on.

“David Lee Karofsky,” I repeated. “What is your deepest, darkest secret?”

I watched as his face grew pale, then slightly green.

“Dave? David? Are you okay?” He looked annoyed, mad, even, and I wondered why he just didn’t say he didn’t want to announce.

“Joey…” he trailed off, looking up at me.

“You don’t have to tell me. I didn’t know it was such a touchy subject, Dave.” I patted his hand, trying to make him feel better.

It didn’t look like it was working.

“I can’t- not now; not on a perfect night like this. I don’t want to spoil anything…I really like you, Joanna.”

He sounded so sincere, so serious, and his face was going back to its regular color.

“I really like you, too,” I replied, grinning widely.

He still looked a bit hurt as he paid for the meal and led us back to his truck.

“I didn’t mean to make you angry, you know,” I exclaimed, watching him, intently.

“I figured. You aren’t that type of person.”

“If you want, I’ll tell you my secret.” David looked interested, but shook his head.

“We’ll tell each other at the same time, when I’m actually ready to…accept it.”

I nodded, understandingly, as we showed up in front of my apartment.

“I had an amazing time,” I smiled, biting my lip a bit.

Hopefully, that gave him at least a slight hint.

“Me, too.” he replied, cheeks pink and grin in place on his plump lips.

“Is there something on my face?” he asked, wiping at the corners of his mouth.

I’d been staring.

Whoops.

“No, I, um…I was just-” I practically jumped on him, planting my lips on his, firmly.

It was better than the first one by far, and I smirked as I pulled away, looking at his goofy smile.

“I’ll call you tomorrow, David,” I announced, giving him one last grin before stepping out into the night air, rushing to my house and walking inside.

“How’d it go?” To my surprise, my mother didn’t startle me, even though she pounced from the kitchen, ready to hear the whole thing.

“Mom,” I breathed, sliding down the door facing. “It was wonderful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
^____^

Awww. Such a filler :(

The next one is hoopefully much MUCH better. But, until then, enjoy :D

Date Attire: http://www.polyvore.com/date/set?id=33066322