Love is Pain

Motherly Love

While I lay in the bath tub full of room temperature water, I could hear the TV. It seemed to almost ripple my bath water. As I washed the soap out of my hair an image of Alex appeared. He was so confident and attractive, and he was actually into me!! But it was probably just a phase. He had probably completely forgot about me by now. I was just another face in the crowd...right? My imagination made him invisible when I heard the commotion from outside the bathroom. I quickly jumped out of the tub and pulled on my clothes. As I stood at the bathroom door, I questioned if I should open it. I stood there for a few seconds and built up all the courage I had. But when I opened the door, I pondered my situation. The house smelled rotten, and there were three empty rum bottles scattered across the floor. How could that have happened?? I had only been gone for maybe twenty minutes. Mother was no where in sight. The TV was still blaring, but now on a station with a horrible, fuzzy picture. As confused as I was, the reality was knocked back into me by my mother’s slick hand crossing my face. It stung incredibly, and the tears then swelled up in my eyes, all over again. Theresa, no longer to be called ‘Mother’, grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and dragged me along. She had a fast speed that I couldn’t keep up with. My leg slipped out from under me, knocking the coffee table, in the middle of the living room, down. Then I suddenly began to float, while I choked on my air. Theresa had picked me up with my collar in hand, and walked with a faster pace towards the basement door. My eye sight grew fuzzy; my head achy. The warmth of my face turned cold, and my breath was gone. Theresa then jolted the basement door open, and threw me down head first. The last thing I remembered was seeing the dark stairs coming directly for me.