Love is Pain

Our Last Secret

It was Thursday now. It had been to two days since our last meeting. I was so anxious to see Carrie! I couldn’t stop looking at the clock to see what time it was. I was hoping that this time we could get closer. Maybe I could get her to come over and meet my father. He was a character of his own, that’s for sure. When I got home on Tuesday with a huge smile on my face, he just had to ask why I had been so happy. I told him everything about Carrie. He seemed proud of me, but still a little weary on what to think about the situation. He told me that he didn’t think Carrie and Theresa’s relationship was normal. But I still had no answers.

It was finally Thursday! Mother was gone so I could get ready and go meet Alex. I was facing only one dilemma. How exactly was I supposed to make the bruise on my face disappear? He would surely be all over that topic in a matter of minutes! So, I went into Theresa’s room and took some of her make up to put on. When I was done I didn’t look so bad, but my bruise didn’t look any better. So I just decided to go without the make up and wear my hair down to cover it. As I headed for the park, I had seen Alex walking down my street.

“Hey there!”

“Umm..hi. How do you know where I live?”

“Ehh..Bronx is small, and I kind of watched you yesterday. Didn’t mean to seem like a stalker.”

“As long as you never come to my front door, I’m fine with it.”

Carrie seemed more melancholy today, like the first time I had seen her. I struggled to keep the conversation up because she just didn’t seem into it enough. I was beginning to become desperate. But then I noticed the bruise on her face, that would definitely spark some conversation.

“Why aren’t you looking at me? You seem so, down.”

“Rough day. I am looking at you.”

When she looked up I could see it clearly. It was enormous. It took up her whole cheek. I didn’t mean to stare but I obviously did, and she immediately put her head back down. I felt so bad, and I just had to ask.

“What happened to your face?”

“It’s nothing...I-I fell.”

“On what? A mountain?”

As she looked up at me, tears began to fill her eyes. That pain and sadness all began to come back to her face. I had nothing more to do than to hold her. I held her in my arms, in the middle of the sidewalk for nearly ten minutes. All she did was cry. I was waiting for the time to ask, because I couldn’t just let this go. No person just breaks down out of nowhere unless there is something seriously wrong. And I found out, that there was. She told me everything when we reached the park. Tears fled down her small bruised cheek. And I noticed the cut on her lip. She explained what her mother had done to her for so many years. And when she was finished, I was at a loss of words. As I sat there thinking about what to say, all I could do was think about the fact that I loved this girl and that I could get her out of this mess anyway that I had to. She would get out of this mess, just not the way I planned.

I finally stopped crying. I looked into Alex’s big, brown eyes. All I saw was love. He had a sparkle in his eye that I had never seen before, but I knew what it was. Because I know that I had it too. I never could’ve broke down like that to anyone, but I did to someone I barley even knew. I did know that I loved Alex, and that this is where I wanted to be.

As Carrie sat there and looked at me, I could see the pain in her eyes fade. Her eyes twinkled just like my heart did, every time I looked at her. Now I could see that she had it too. We were in love. It had taken three visits to make it there. What else could we manage in such a short period of time. Maybe, to get Carrie away from her mother. In the silence we starred at each other, and finally got close enough to kiss. Her soft lips upon me made shudder with happiness. Carrie was clearly the only one for me. After we sat in the grass, with my arms around her, Carrie decided that she needed to go home. I hugged her and kissed her one last time, and then she walked away with a little more oomph!

I lay in bed that night with tears in my eyes. They were tears of joy. I finally had found someone that would love me and hold me, someone that I could trust and that I really cared about. If this was the feeling of love, than I’d hope it would never fade away. Because I had never been so happy and so distraught in my life. I wanted Alex more than words could say, but I was afraid of what would happen if Theresa found out. I was at a loss of things to do. I’d have to do something, and for now that would be to sleep. Theresa woke me up with a broom at hand and she smacked me in the back with it. She had seen me and Alex together. She now knew everything. She kept whacking me with the long metal handle of the broom until I could no longer scream. She was yelling in my ear with all her voice, telling me to never see him again. If I disobeyed her, my life would be more miserable than before. She kept hitting me over and over again all over my body! The blows to the head hurt the most but after a while I was numb. The only thing I could feel was my heart being torn in two. I would never be able to see Alex again. That just wouldn’t be right for either of us; we were in love.