Don't Try to Stop Me

Preface

Time was passing with its steady pace as the moon lit up silhouettes of the clouds. In every window of the town, there was a temporary portrait waiting to be seen by anyone who paused to view it.

This is where she spent most of her time, in the windowsill of her room, watching the night pass as the clock ticked on into this future she didn’t want. At the age of sixteen, she’d grown only to hate herself more. Her figure seemed like a frail ghost, which is what she had become to her parents. They remembered her youthful glow before womanhood began to creep on her. She had lost her childhood innocence and could no longer lie to herself, she couldn’t be who she was in her heart because she had been forced to fit into what she was supposed to be. Her brothers had grown apart from her, and now that they had begun attending boarding school, both John and Michael had become just as strange to her as she had become to her parents.

“If only time stood still, or even reversed... Moon, you’ve stayed the same. The only time that has affected you is day, but you don’t feel that difference do you ? You stay with the night where ever you go… It's always the same.” As Wendy paused, the moon slipped behind a cloud, disappearing as if to hide from the young woman’s words. “I envy you, miss. I envy your permanence.”

The moon didn’t have to worry about its appearance, nor if she was curved properly. Marriage and children didn’t concern her orbiting figure, she just existed to give light to the world at the darkest of its times.

Her heart sunk at the idea of becoming the woman everyone wanted her to be. If only she could have been born a boy and be with her brothers…

These were what swam through her head each night. Dreams that made her wonder about how different her life could be… If only…