Status: Done... finally. :)

Kissing an Angel

1/1

“Ah, she awakes.” The deep voice says from behind me. “Don’t worry sweetheart, you’re okay… for now.” I blink my eyes open and look around. The room is dark and the only sound is of footsteps coming from behind me. There’s a dim light from an overhanging lamp.

“Where…” I begin to whisper and I hear a laugh from behind me.

“You don’t need to worry about a thing. I’ve got it all planned out.” I turn my neck slowly to look for the person connected with the voice. “You’re a pretty girl, you know?” Carefully and gently I tug at the ropes holding my hands. I’m tied. “Pretty girls, they always make it out there, you know?” the light accent in the voice makes him sound even scarier than he is. The dark silhouette is near a window now. It must be night time. My dark hair is around my face and it’s messy. “Go ahead sweetie, ask it. They all do.” I turn towards him and he walks closer. “I’m waiting.”

“What…” I begin but my voice is weak. Coming towards me is a tall and beautiful man. Bright blue eyes staring right at me, but they’re hostile and angry.

“Wrong question.” His eyes narrow and the light shows his features. An angular face with blonde hair glaring at me. I fall silent and a small snicker leaves his lips. His face creeps into a sideways sneer mixed with some kind of sick smile. “Scared?” He circles my chair. I find my voice.

“No, why should I be?”

“Cocky one huh, that’s what I liked about you. You’re strong, strong willed, strong spirited, just strong in general. You’ll last longer than the others.” He snickers again and then gets down to my level. “Go ahead darling, ask the question.” I don’t want to give him anything. So I stay silent, my eyes fixed on his own. “Fine, play the quiet card.” He gets up and walks away.

“Do I know you?”

“Again, wrong question.” He walks back towards me and stands in front of me. “You tell me, do you?” I look at him, but the bangs of my dark hair fall into my face. I shake my head trying to move them, but they’ve decided to obstruct my vision. I look through them.

“No…”

“Ouch… that hurts. You don’t remember me?” I shake my head. “Try harder.” He orders, his voice harsher now. I close my eyes and think, making my face look like it’s flashing through memories.

“I… no…” I shake my head and look back up at him. His face has hardened further.

“Now, that really hurts. You’d think I’d get at least a memory in there.” He gestures towards my head. “That somewhere in that pretty brain of yours you’d remember me.” He snickers again.

“Maybe if you just tell me who you are…”

“Nope. That’s not how it works darling.” He smiles cruelly down at me. He does this too well. He crouches down and puts his hands on both arm rests of my chair; his face is close to mine. His breath is warm on my face. I stand my ground and just look into his eyes again. I’m not supposed to be afraid. “Think again.” His proximity is so close I don’t know if I have room to think. Just then a name surfaces.

“Coulter.” It slips through my lips before I can even associate the name and face. He smiles pleasantly and backs up. Still this smile doesn’t seem to be coming from anything nice.

“So you do remember me?” He backs up slowly until he is against the wall, looking at me.

“Yes…” I say breathlessly. I look at him intently. Right now I’m remembering. I blink my eyes faster and tilt my head to the side. “Coulter, the depression case and you were tested for schizophrenia. The dreams, did they get any worse?”

“Shut up!” He says violently and throws whatever he was holding a moment ago at the opposite wall. It shatters and crashes behind me. I put a look of fear on my face, but my eyes don’t leave his general direction. “The dreams…” he begins but begins to lose it. He turns to face the wall, a hand on it for strength. “They’re worse now.”

“Coulter, we can help you if you just…”

“You don’t understand!” he says loudly and then looks at me. Then quieter, “You don’t understand.”

“Then tell me, make me understand.” I say. In his blue eyes is a look of pain. It seems to be coming from deep inside of him. It’s amazingly believable. He’s far away from me and begins leaning against the wall. His hard shell has broken, I’ve found his vulnerable spot. He slowly falls to the ground. “Coulter, what’s happening now?”

“They won’t go away. That’s why…” He begins to get back up and heads towards me, “That’s why I need you to tell me why this is happening to me!”

“Coulter, it’s just your mind the…” he cuts me off, “Don’t say it.” But I continue, “The war has altered your way of thinking, so has your training. I have no idea what they did to you within that facility but…”

“Stop! I know ok, I know!” The look of pain escalates. “Why was I the only one to get away, Why was I the only one to live?”

“Coulter, it’s not your fault. They took their own lives; it’s got nothing to do with you.” He looks at me. His answer should send chills up my spine. “What if it does?”

“CUT.” I hear a loud voice say. ‘Coulter’ takes a deep breath then smiles at me. “Very good take, I think that’s all we’ll need now. Lunch break and then we’ll start again at 2:00. You all deserve a break.”

“Nice one.” He says to me and I pull me hands free. The knot comes loose and releases my hands too easily.

“Thanks, you too. Are you sure you’re not a schizophrenic?” He laughs and smiles at me.

“Are you sure you’re not a kidnapped therapist?”

“Not sure actually, you’re acting was a little too believable.” He smiles at me and the kindness behind it is a big change from the cruel sneers I’d gotten a moment ago. “Well, I’m going to wash this ‘dirt’ off of me. Did you know it takes like 2 hours to put dirt on your face and look like crap?”

“Tell me about it. I’ve had to have tons of war injuries, dirt, and dust put on for this film already. It takes forever. Hey, do you want to go out to lunch with me?”

“Are you really going to kidnap me and make me solve your problems?”

“Damn, how’d you see through that? I thought I was a good actor?” We both laugh and smile as we walk towards our trailers. “Really though, lunch?”

“Sure.” I smile. “But, let’s take my car.”

“Agreed.” He smiles and we go into our separate trailers to wash up.

A quick shower and face wash later I’m standing in the Los Angeles sun waiting for Mr. Pretty Boy by my car in the parking lot. I’m amazed I, being the female, was faster than him. I’ve taken the afternoon off from make-up and just braided my hair off to the side out of my face. Jeans and a t-shirt, it feels good to be normal. I lean against the hood of my Ford truck, less conspicuous than his fancy cars and wait. The truck is deep blue and sun reflects off of it in hot rays. Feeling watched I look up. Walking towards me in the classic jeans, nice shirt, and leather jacket is the one and only, Oscar snubbed, Leonardo DiCaprio.

“Dang, where were you planning on going?” I ask him as I make sure to point out he’s far more dressed up than I am. He pulls a baseball hat on top of his sandy blonde hair and smiles at me. “There.”

“I’m driving.” I say and get into my truck. I sit and pet the steering wheel for a bit as he climbs in the passenger side. “Alright baby, where to?” I turn the key in the ignition and the car jolts to life. The fancy navigation system blinks on and the screen begins to light.

“What?” Leonardo looks at me funny and I’m confused for a second. Then realizing what I said I begin blushing.

“The car, I was talking to the car.” I try and assure him, but he’s already laughing. I’ve worked with him for only a few weeks and I guess we could qualify as friends, but I’m not a big part in this movie. He kidnaps me and I prove useless to him so he kills off my character. Just a very small part. “Ahh whatever, ok where do you want to go to lunch?”

“I don’t really feel the need for anything in particular, you?” I shake my head in a no not trusting my mouth to speak. I begin to maneuver our way out of the tightly packed parking garage.

“No, but I don’t feel like getting out of the truck much either. You get drive through. Objections?” I look at him for half a second before answering my own question, “No? Good”

“You’d think I was the kidnapped one, look at you laying down the orders Callie.” He looks at me from over his sun glasses.

“My truck, my rules.” I smile and turn the radio on. “What kind of food though? I feel like eating like a civilian. Taco Bell, In-n-out, McDonalds, please no, or Burger King?”

“Hmm…. How about Wendy’s?” he asks. I decide to mess with him.

“That wasn’t on the list… but sure.” At the first part of my sentence he looks surprised but then he laughs. “Sorry Mr. DiCaprio, in my truck you’re a normal person.”

“Really? Then call me Leo, Callie.” He looks out the window and watches the cars pass.

“Ok, Leo.” I shrug. I’d been calling him Leonardo or Mr. DiCaprio all week. I’m only a few years younger than him but it just seems like he’s much older because of experience. “You should know, I feel honored to have you sit in my car, Mr. DiCaprio, perhaps you should sign it.” I tease at a red light. He looks at me and laughs again.

“I thought I was a normal person in this car?”

“My car, my rules; if I deem you royalty you can be royalty.” I smile at him. “Really though, it’s been great working with you.”

“What, are we going to die or something? Are you kidnapping me?” he smirks at me.

“No, just the next time I film a scene with you you’re going to kiss and kill me.” I shrug. “Not exactly looking forward to that.”

“Ouch, that hurts my ego quite a bit.” He says and acts like I’ve stabbed him in the heart.

“What?” I look at him again.

“You don’t want to kiss me?”

“I meant you killing me, I’m not looking forward to you killing me.”

“So you are looking forward to kissing me?”

“What no! I mean yes, I mean… shit. I’ve kind of dug myself into a hole here.” He’s just smiling away by his window. “Kissing my killer, not exactly the best thing ever.”

“But your killer is me, and if I’m correct your friend, Cindy the ones that always visits you, told me you were a big fan of mine.” He’s played his best cards. He won those stinking tickets to the Titanic in this situation.

“Well I guess lying and saying I wasn’t won’t help me here anyway.” The light turns green and I put the car into drive.

“When you were 18 you watched all the movies I was in over the summer. Got to say, I’m impressed. And you kept up over these years?” He just looks out the window with a smile, but it’s true. After my 18th birthday I saw the rated R movies I wasn’t allowed to until then. Over the years I have watched every single DiCaprio movie, from Critters 3 to awaiting the new and upcoming J. Edgar. “In fact, she may have added that I’m the reason you went into theater and ultimately acting.”

“You’re a role model, of course, but don’t go flattering yourself.” He smirks, triumphant as I pull into the Wendy’s drive through. He stays silent except to whisper me his order and argue when I decide I’m paying. With a quick, “My truck, my rules” thrown in his direction he shuts up. I pull into a grocery store parking lot across the way and pick a corner away from the street to park and eat.

“Have you really seen all of them?” He asks before taking a bite into his food.

“Yup, even Critters 3.” He winces as I say the name of his least favorite role.

“I wish I could forget I was in that crappy film.”

“It was your first one though.” I add. “Without it you probably wouldn’t be here.”

“True, but that was just a horrible movie. Seemed great at the time just to get a role bigger than a kid on a commercial, but looking back now… that was a pretty horrible movie.”

“Yeah? Well look at Inception. That, my friend, was amazing!” I momentarily focus on my food. He smiles and nods his thanks as we both eat. I have the radio on some pop station and it’s playing as we eat. I glare at the speakers as some singer talks about sex for the seventh song in a row. Leo notices my glare and speaks, “May I?” he brings his hand closer to the seek button. “Please do.” I nod and he presses it. The next station is some Spanish station which for the first few seconds has no words. Leo is already listening to it and when they start speaking Spanish I burst out laughing. He hits the seek button again. The next station is country.

“Real music.” He says happy with himself and settles into his seat.

“You like country music?” I ask surprised. His answer is even more surprising.

“I like all kinds of music, I guess. I like country because of the lyrics. It’s shameless and about real stuff instead of hormones and sex crap, or cheating or whatever the hell kids are singing about these days. I don’t even know anymore.”

“I’ll drink to that.” I say raising my soda and sip the straw. He smiles and turns the music up. “Country isn’t that bad. I listen to some.”

“Yeah? Well what do you like then?” He eats more of his food and munches on his fries. The normality of it all seems so unreal. I feel like there should be a camera and my car is either cut in half so they can film it or the camera man is in the back seat. I take a quick glance behind me just in case.

“Rock or alternative stuff, but if its country Brad Paisley isn’t that bad and that new American idol guy is pretty good. Scotty McCreery… I voted for him.”

“Really? I don’t really watch that show.” He shrugs and I recognize the song on the radio.

“That’s him.” I can’t believe how perfect the timing is. This must be a movie set. It’s always perfect in the movies. Even the chaos is perfect.

“Huh?” he asks with a mouthful of fries. I can’t help it and begin laughing. Never would I have thought I’d catch Leonardo DiCaprio talking with his mouthful.

“It’s Scotty McCreery.” I say after I’ve calmed down a bit. Scotty’s song I love you this big is playing and it reminds me of sitting there watching the finale of American Idol with my little sister, who was going for Lauren Alaina. Leo listens for a bit and then smiles.

“He’s got a good voice, and this is a pretty good song. I can see why he won.” He takes another bite of his food and I respond to his statement, “His voice isn’t the only reason why he won. He’s also got great stage presence and he’s adorable, and this girl right here voted at least 100 times. Fifty online and unlimited texting supply.” Leo looks impressed.

“Wow, good job then.” He looks out the window at the sunny weather outside. We aren’t in the best part of town, but it’s still somewhat beautiful. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.” I shrug and take a sip of my soda. Then he asks it, “Which one is your favorite?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Movie of mine, which is your favorite?” He keeps looking out the window, but is waiting for my answer.

“Well that’s a tough one.” I put my soda down in the drink holder and think. “Hmmm….I guess I’ll have to go with ‘Blood Diamond’. I loved that movie. Probably my favorite movie of all time.”

“Well that’s an honor.” He teases. “Why?”

“Why? The plot was good and the story was amazing. The action was great and the special effects kicked ass. I loved the history portion of it all too. The characters were great though.” He looks at me. “What?”

“I think I was doomed by ‘Titanic’ and now by ‘Inception’. Those are my most memorable roles.”

“And not a single Oscar to show for it…” I shook my head in mock disappointment. “You got totally snubbed. You’ll get one someday, and your speech better be kick ass.”

“Oh it will be. Maybe I should start it off with, ‘Finally…’?” we both laugh at this. “Maybe I’ll get one for killing you.”

“Maybe.” I shrug.

“Or maybe, I’ll get a reward for kissing you.” He says the words so nonchalantly that I almost don’t catch it, but I do.

“Doubt it, because you kill me basically right after.”

“Poor girl, no feelings of Stockholm syndrome towards me?”

“You don’t keep me around long enough.” I look at him and he’s looking back at me. I offer him the makeshift take-out bag trashcan and he throws his garbage in it. I take it out and dump it in a garbage can outside the grocery store. Getting back in the car I open the windows so the smell of fries won’t stick in my truck. I begin driving us back to the set. Flashing my ID and the gate keeper seeing Leo lets us in. I park the car in my normal spot before he talks again.

“Lima syndrome.” He mutters.

“What?” I look at him confused.

“Lima syndrome, it’s where the captor develops sympathy towards their hostages.” He gets out of the truck and I follow locking the doors. We begin walking towards our trailers together. Right before we get to them he grabs my hand which startles me. “Lima Syndrome is what I’m feeling I guess.” He holds my hand and walks me to my trailer door.

“So what happens to these people with Lima syndrome?”

“They start to feel sympathy and have feelings toward the people they’ve taken hostage.” He steps closer to me. He kisses my cheek and I realize I was kissed by the most beautiful man alive.

“I feel honored.” I manage to stutter out of my mouth through the blushing. Honor seems to be the word of the day. He smiles and looks at me.

“See you on the set later.” He turns and walks towards his own trailer

****************************************************************************************************
I’m tied to the chair again. He’s already told me the cold tale about the training and is sitting on a stool in front of me. His pain is written on his face, he’s a tortured soul. All I do is sit and listen. My eyes track him as he moves around the room. At one point as he gets angry telling his story he flips out a knife and looks at his reflection in it. He continues to hold it and finishes his story.

“But you… you therapists, you shrinks!” he says the last word loudly. “Thought you could fix us. You had no idea, no idea , what they were doing to us. You just made your diagnosis and fixed us as best as you could, huh? Well your best wasn’t good enough!”

“Coulter…” I let my voice falter in fear as he turns holding the knife. “Why’d you take me? Why me?”

“There it is.” He smirks his angry, dark smirk. His face is handsome, even in contempt. “There’s the correct question. Why you?” he walks around my chair getting closer and closer to me. I watch him and soon he’s kneeled down in front of me, not too close but his face is all I can see. Not that I would want to look at anything else, I’m not supposed to anyway. “You talked to me the most in therapy. You talked to me like a human being and I remember…” he takes a deep breath and looks down at his feet then slowly back up to me. “I remember walking in there that one day, wondering why someone so pretty and kind had to deal with messed up people like me. I wondered if I hadn’t gone through the training and we met just on the street whether you’d give me the time of day. I feel so… normal with you.” His eyes have softened and I know the camera is either getting a shot of it now or will later when all he does is look right at the camera.

“Coulter…” I start to whisper. “Maybe, if you just let me go I can help you.”

“No, you know too much now.” His tone is different. It’s regretful and sad.

“Coulter, what you tell me can be in confidence and…”

“No, as soon as I let you out that fucking door…” he gets up and points angrily towards the door. The poor lighting makes him look even angrier. “You’ll go right to the authorities and call me crazy. I have to find my family, my little sister. You’re in my way.”

“Coulter…” I say quietly and he’s facing away from me.

“I’m sorry.” He turns slowly. “I’m sorry it has to be this way.” I begin pleading and begging. Making those empty promises all people make before they’re about to be murdered. I struggle to get free and try to make him look at me.

“Coulter, look at me Coulter!” He is. “I can help you. I can. We can find your family and make sure they’re safe.” He looks at me, but it’s different this time. Soft eyes and face, no anger or contempt.

“I wish…” he begins in a soft voice. “I wish it could be different but they’re after me.” My quiet questions of, “who?” goes unheard and he continues. “You are the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. The most beautiful I will ever see.” He’s kneeling in front of me again and face gets closer to mine. “I really wish, I didn’t have to do this.”

“Coulter you don’t have to do anything.” My last plead is quiet.

“You don’t understand.” He shakes his head, which is very close to mine. “I know what I have to do. You know too much.” His eyes begin to water and a tear falls. I look at his face desperately.

“Coulter…” I whisper and my own tears fall. “I do understand… and I forgive you.” He looks up abruptly. My life is almost over. He begins to lean forward. Then, the killer’s kiss. Even before his gunshot on the set pointed at my head from behind me as he’s kissing me, I’m sure I’ve died. I’m kissing an angel.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really enjoyed writing this for the contest and wish my stupid keyboard hadn't broken and maybe it'd be in on time. I'm really sorry about that. Just trying my best to showcase the lovely Leo.