(STILLUNKNOWN)

Chapter 2

"She has amnesia." The doctor said.
I tried to sit up in the hospital bed, but I just succeeded in tangling the wires and hiking my hospital gown up a few dangerous inches.
"Hon, try to stay laying down, okay?" The doctor put his hand on my leg, right above my knee, but I couldn't tell him to take it off. I couldn't find my voice.
I remembered everything up to the day my cousin died. I've got memories from the funeral, but then it's blank. Then Ari walked in and everything else ceased to exist. My mom told me that he had been in here almost 24/7, sitting with me, reading to me, and talking to me, until he fell asleep or they made him go home while I was in a coma. I had liked him for years, but never said anything in fear of ruining of friendship.
"Hey, you're awake." Ari said. He smoothed my hair back from my face. "How do you feel?"
I still couldn't find my voice. Ari turned to the doctor with confusion.
"She seems to have lost her voice and she doesn't remember anything after the funeral." The doctor answered his unspoken question.
"The funeral was two weeks ago, though." Ari said, confused still.
Two weeks? I had been in a coma for almost two weeks? Shit.
"I don't know what to tell you. She'll be fine to leave in a few days, but we're gonna have to check her voice box. I'll leave you alone, now." The doctor switched off the bright overhead light and left.
"Rain, if you can hear me, shake your head up and down." Ari said quietly. He looked almost heartbroken, but I had no idea why. I slowly shook my head and his brow unbunched. He bowed his head and I waited a few minutes before tapping him on the shoulder gently. That's when I realized his body was shaking with tremors. He raised his head and there were tears rolling down his face. "I thought you were dead rain. You just layed here... un-moving and silent. I can't lose you."
Because I could feel his fear and mine was steadily rising, I scooted over on the hospital bed and pulled him up next to me. We layed there facing each other and I focused on my breathing.
"W-" I tried to ask him something but couldn't seem to get the words out.
"Yes?" he seemed to hold his breath waiting.
"Wha-" I shook my head and my eyes started to fill with tears.
"Hey, it's okay." Ari brushed the tears from my cheek gently and pulled me closer. "Everythings okay now, Rain. It's all okay." His lips were so close to my lips and I could feel his breath tickling my nose.
"Ari." I managed to whisper.
"Oh, God, Rain. You can talk!" Ari closed the small distance and kissed me. It was a light, almost friendly kiss, but when he pulled back, I glimpesed regret in his eyes. Did he like me, I wondered. No he couldn't, could he?
"What?" I asked, confused.
"My God, Rain. I thought you were gone forever. You're my best friend. I couldn't stand losing you. Ever." Ari said seriously.
"Well..." I tried to form a sentence, but Ari brushed me off.
"Don't try to talk now. I don't want you ruining your voice box for real, even if I think it is just because you haven't talked in like two weeks."
♠ ♠ ♠
ahhhhhhhgggghhh !