Status: Complete!

Is This the Way It's Supposed to Be?

1/1

“Welcome to the New Year’s party!” exclaimed my friend Steven Farmer. He was older than me, by a considerable amount and he was the only real adult at the party. The rest were teenagers like me; just out of high school spending a fun night with other high school friends before everyone’s back out to college. There was one boy there that wasn’t a high school graduate; Joey. I stared at him and smiled. He was my friend and I was almost certain I loved him. Who wouldn’t? He was funny and he smiled so warmly. Not to mention he was so handsome dressed in his tuxedo. He had his hair combed nicely away from his handsome face and that bothered me because he looked so much more attractive with his hair covering his forehead and swooping off to the side. His long hair made me want to run my fingers through it.

He and I were pretty separated the whole time and everyone was all gussied up for their big night together. I walked around, saying hello to everyone. I was dressed in a long evening gown. It was made of black silk with white beads designed into flowers. It exposed my tan shoulders but thanks to my long brown-black hair, they were sheltered from anyone’s eyes. The ends of my hair were curled into wide curls and I smiled anytime someone complimented them. Everyone was dressed in similar outfits; all the boys were wearing tuxedos and looked so wonderful. I stood at the Christmas tree in the corner of the party when Joey walked over to me and the girl I was talking to. I don’t remember her name but she smiled at me knowingly and left after saying hello to Joey.

“You look wonderful,” he said with a smile. I blushed ever so slightly, since whenever he complimented me I always blushed, and nodded a little.

“Thank you,” I said smiling. “You look very handsome.” He smiled back, his wide smile making my stomach flutter.

“Would you like to dance?” I looked at the dance floor where people were ballroom dancing and blushed.

“I don’t know how to dance, you know that.” He smiled and held out his hand to me.

“Then just sway with me,” he said softly. I took his hand, feeling safer for some reason. I had nothing to be afraid of but whenever I was close to him, I felt like nothing could harm me. He put his hand on my hip and held my other hand tightly while I placed my free hand on his shoulder. He smiled down at me and did nothing else but sway with me. “You know, I hear there’s a special room in this house for the woman that used to live here.” You see, we were in a large—almost abandoned—house that used to belong to a very rich family. It had many rooms and many large windows and walls. The woman who used to live in the house was supposedly really famous for collecting special and rare artifacts. Most of them were given away to museums but there were rumors that the house had a secret room full of tons of special and really controversial things. “Would you like to go look?” I looked at the others and nodded.

“Let’s go,” I wanted to have a moment—any moment—with him alone. I didn’t care if we did anything; just as long as we were together. I guess that’s really pathetic of me but I didn’t care. It was maybe 10 o’clock when we stumbled upon a room located behind a fake wall in a closet. It was a very clever hiding place that I found and when the two of us stepped in, we saw a lot of ancient things; drawings, pottery, carvings in large slabs of rock and so on. I walked through the room and when I saw a large pile of books in the corner, I walked over to them. I looked down at them and quickly read them. “Joey,” I said as I looked back at him. “My name is in all of these; Secret. Secret Thompson, Secret Harrow …and there you are; Joseph. Joseph Thompson married to Secret Thompson…” Joey looked over my shoulder and placed his lips to my head.

“I suppose we’re married,” he said jokingly. I looked up at him and he smiled tenderly. He took his hand in mine and led me back towards the party. I looked at the books, then back at him before biting my lip. I wondered what it all meant but there was no time for that; it was already 11:30. We got back to the party and the lights were all off and someone was trying to light birthday candles. They were all muttering about a girl named Amanda and I was confused—mainly because I had no idea who Amanda was. Joey had his arms wrapped around my waist, his head resting on my shoulder. His lips touched the soft skin of my neck and I began to giggle. He laughed in my ear and sighed. “I’m so tired.” I shook my head.

“Light weight,” I snorted. The Amanda girl walked into the room and as we all sang ‘Happy Birthday’, Joey pulled me down to sit on the couch. I sat in his lap and he hugged me close like I was a teddy bear. I laughed a little and tried to get up but his arms were too tight around me. I sighed and pet his hair gently, the way I had always done.

“I like when you pet my head,” he whispered softly against my shoulder. I smiled and nodded, muttering how I liked it too. I had agreed to let Joey stay with me at the house—since it was apparently mine—and I had some of the guys at the party help me bring him to a room where I was staying. They all bid me goodnight, giving me hugs and kisses on the cheek. I waved goodbye and crawled into bed with Joey. I woke up early that morning. The snow was falling outside the windows and I sat at the edge, looking out at the flakes falling and looking at the building across from mine. I looked at the windows and doors and thought they looked a lot like the ones on my building. I was muttering something about Joey when I heard the shower turn on behind me. I looked across the room and saw that the door was opening. Joey’s bare torso had drops of water from his hair. He saw me looking at him and smiled a little before walking over the large bridge to walk to me. He kissed my lips and smiled. “Good morning,” he said softly. I was about to say something when a light behind Joey made me cover my eyes and when I opened them, I was sitting in my bed, staring at my pale blue walls all alone. I rubbed my head and sighed.

“So much for that reality. I guess this is the way it’s supposed to be.” I whispered to myself as I got out of bed and got changed for another day without him.