A Darker Beginning

1

"Nuclear meltdown. The perfect cover-up. A tragic accident that will wipe away all the evidence, and turn this town inside out, into a skeleton. And there's nothing we can do."

As he said this, i could feel the bile coming up my throat. I wanted to spew, i wanted to get sick, but i just couldn't. It stayed right there, right at the back of my throat. Simmering, searing my windpipe, my esophagus. I gripped my gun. I was so ready to end it. So ready to splatter my brains against the windows of this fucking bus. This was not what any of us asked for. I think back to where it all began, which i think is where i should start, since you probably have no idea what's going on.

January 3rd, 2011. 5 months ago. Alex, Trevor and I were walking down the road, enjoying the nice, warm weather Savannah gave us year round. Alex had on his cute blue jeans that were a perfect fit. I hated it when he wore those skin tight pants, he looked so good casually. Trevor's pants hung a little lower than most would wear, and his flat billed hat blocked the sun from his chiseled features. Girls stared as we passed, cars honked when we walked on the outside of us, closer to the road. He was just a likeable, cute boy. But i always had my eye on Alex. I couldn't understand why anyone would think that he was an asshole. Everyone thought that. He always told me i was the only girl he could run to for anything, and i hoped to stay that way. He'd moved here about 3 years ago, and we hit it off as soon as he walked through the doors of my high school. Now that we're graduated and both 19, we've grown up since those days, so we've definitely gotten closer. I sipped the coffee he had brought to me this morning, after he had woken me up. Trevor, Alex and Trevor's girlfriend Allie all lived together in a small house in the middle of town. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a beautiful kitchen, beautiful yard, and gorgeous cheesecake colored walls with black, flowery lace designs. Alex had just recently asked me to move in, and he would take the couch, because he just loved having me around. I definitely wouldn't have minded sharing the bed, but if that's what Alex wanted, that's what he got. I was around, and that was enough for him.

Anyway, these black vans and hummers and jeeps started to pass by us at an unsafe speed. After watching at least 7 go by, i looked around us. No cars seemed to pass by, and no one was walking on the streets anymore. I looked at Alex. Trevor pulled out his phone and dialed Allie's number.

"I'm gonna call Allie and see if she's alright, maybe she kn-Baby? Hey babe, are you okay? Okay, well we're all coming home, there's something weird going on. What? Okay, we're coming home right now. Lock the door, and don't open it until i call you, okay? Alright, i love you too. Bye."

We looked at Trevor, puzzled. "She said that the news says to stay inside and lock your doors, and don't answer for anyone. I guess there's like a city lockdown going on. We need to get home fast," he said, sounding panicked. We all started to walk quickly. I was thankful that we weren't that far from the house, it only took about 5 minutes to get to the front door. Allie must have been watching, because Trevor didn't even finish dialing before she opened the door and hurried us in.

"I'm glad you guys made it okay. They're saying it's really dangerous outside right now, but they don't know exactly what's going on, they're just giving order's that the government is telling them," she said shakily. I hugged her, trying to give her some comfort. "It'll be okay. I'm gonna go change into some sweatpants and start dinner, i'm starving," i said. She smiled and nodded and walked into the kitchen. I went into my room and changed into some ripped sweatpants. I looked at my desk. I looked at the picture of my dad. I held back tears and walked out with my head down, running into Alex.

"Oh god, i'm sorry, did i hurt you?" he asked, putting his hand on my head. I've never seen him so serious. His hair was gelled back and sculpted, reminding me of Gaspard Ulliel in Hannibal Rising. God, his ears turned me on. Stretched mor than an inch. And he had my favorite tunnels in today; silver and hollow, with a solid star in the middle. He just looked good. I laughed and nodded, "I'm fine, don't worry." He smiled and pushed my head a bit. I pushed him back harder and walked away. Trevor stood at the end of the hall, staring behind me.

"Hey Alex, if you like her ass that much, just take a picture!" I was confused. I turned around and Alex was out of sight, except for the middle finger that was hanging out of the bathroom door before it closed. I giggled and walked into the kitchen. I noticed that the back door was unlocked, so i locked it quickly. I took out the leftover chinese food and rice we had the night before and threw it all into a skillet, frying it up. "Chicken fried rice, kids, come and eat!" i shouted. Everyone came in, grabbed the plates i filled, and i grabbed a bottle of wine Allie's mom got her for her birthday and a few wine glasses. We all ate in peace, watching game shows and laughing at the old 80's hair everyone had. It was a peaceful night. Alex smiled more than i've ever seen him smile, and not a thing was out of place. Nothing could ruin our night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cutting this one a bit short, writer's block =P.