Status: ON HIATUS

The Ballad of Mona Lisa

Through The Fire And Flames

He senses something, call it desperation

Monica hadn’t realized how blustery it was outside. Cold blasts of wind would whip at her face and leave a stinging sensation upon her cheeks. It didn’t help that Brendon gave off absolutely no body heat.

It’s true what they say about the dead, they’re cold.

Monica was creeping outside of her sisters house. Marina had already entered, tearing away the yellow caution tape that surrounded the place. Monica was looking through a window, trying to peer in.

“I can’t see anything. Maybe I should just go back…” Monica turned over her shoulder to look at Brendon for help. He disappeared. She felt her heart race in panic, she was alone. “Brendon!” She called out in a whisper, sneaking her way around the house. “Brendon!”

A door, not but a few feet away from her, stood agape. She glance around her but hesitantly moved toward it and into the house.

Right as she entered, she felt an eerie chill go up her spine. It must’ve been 20 degrees in there. Monica moved through the house cautiously, her arms wrapped around her torso. She didn’t hear any footsteps, no sign of Marina.

“What am I going to do!”

Monica stiffened at the sound. It was Marina’s voice, coming from down the hall. She continued to stay still as she heard more noises following her shout. It sounded as if she were throwing things around.

Monica finally found her inner strength and crept towards the room that held the current chaos.

There was a bright orange light coming from the room. As she inched closer, Mona saw that it was a small fire emanating from a small waste basket in the middle of the room. Marina was crouched down in front of it, her back to Marina. Monica huddled down behind a chair to make sure she wasn’t seen.

“I had to do it.” Marina continued to chant to herself, “I had to do it.”

Monica stiffened again as Marina abruptly stood up and rummaged through her dressers. She finally took out a photo album and ripped at it. She threw picture after picture into the small fire.

Monica couldn’t believe this rage coming from her own sister. It was as if she had flames in her eyes.

Marina then began to sob as she continued to throw things into the fire. “I had to.”

Monica nearly shrieked at the next thing she saw. Brendon appeared right behind Marina, staring at the back of her head in anger and disgust.

“You were right, Mona. She did this to me.”

Monica froze at his voice. Couldn’t Marina hear him? If she did, her sister didn’t react, she just kept on staring into the fiery abyss.

“All she ever wanted from me…”

Marina finally moved from the fire and rummaged through her dresser again, pulling out a large envelope. She opened the envelope and pulled out its contents, staring at the paper intently.

“Was my money.”

Monica craned her neck only to catch a glimpse of the letter before Marina returned it to its original place. It was a will. A will Mona could only guess belonged to her deceased husband.

“And my money, is what she plans on getting.”

Another dollar, another day
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm kind of stumped. I know where the story is going, but I'm not sure how to get there. Please comment and let me know what you think, I'm trying here! :)