Status: Writing! Comments are encouraged! Subscribe if you enjoy! <3

Run Away

Chapter Eight

"Lauren I know you probably can't hear," he pulled out his iPod, "but I wanted to play our song. He turned it up all the way and set it on her pillow. Transatlanticism started playing. He squeezed her hand and stared at her.

"John?" she shook his body.
"Hmmm." he grunted.
"Wake up." she whispered.
"Hmmmmmmm." he wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her.
"Wake up." she giggled into his chest.
He flung open his eyes. He was greeted with darkness.
"Let's go look at the stars." she leaned up and kissed his cheek. He looked at the green glowing numbers on the clock.
"Lauren it's 2:50 am. Go back to sleep." he laughed.
"I don't careeeee what time it is. Get up." she demanded. 
He sat up with her still in his arms and turned on the lamp next to their bed.
"Okay." he grinned, kissing her forehead and getting up. She followed him out to the backyard. He sat down on the ground with her leaning back on him as he crossed his long, skinny legs around her and wrapped his arms around her.
"This is perfect." she smiled, gazing at the sky. He didn't say anything. She was perfect. This moment was perfect. His life was perfect. He never wanted her to leave his side again. 

After the song had ended his eyes were puffed up and blurry again. He turned off his iPod and got up.
"I have to go back home now." he sniffed. He had to leave. He was going crazy getting no response from her. He kissed her forehead. 
"I love you." he whispered. He walked out of the room and through the lobby where Missy was sitting. She hadn't slept for days and it showed.
"I have to leave." John ran his hands through his hair.
"Okay sweetie. I'll call you if there's any news. Stay safe." she wrapped her short arms around him.

He sat on their bed clueless as to what to do with himself. His eyes wandered the room until they fell on a blue photo album on the chair by the window. He got up and grabbed it and sunk back into the bed. He opened the book, staring at the first picture. Four 5 year old kids stood there, dirty, and grinning. Him, Lauren, Eric, and Garrett. He had his arm around her shoulder, holding her in close. Even then she was something special. She was always so smart and energetic. He flipped to the next page. She had a drawn on mustache and was wearing a blue sundress. He was standing behind her without a shirt on wearing jean shorts smiling big. They had to be about 7.
"We've known each other forever." he mumbled under his breath. He looked at the next picture. It was recent. From last year. He was standing behind her with his arms around her waist. She had her head rested backwards onto his shoulder, smiling up at him. He was smiling that crooked smile back at her.
He felt his eyes droop. It was 12:30 am. He pulled out the picture and set it against the lamp. He stared at it until he drifted off into a light sleep, something he was used to by now.

"Go." she flung the keys across the table at him. He ducked just in time as they wizzed passed his head. 
"What is your problem?!" he yelled.
"You are! This whole thing is my problem. I'm going to bed. Have fun." she stormed out of the kitchen and upstairs. A few seconds later he heard the door slam.
"Fucking fuck!" he ran his hands through his hair, sighing.
He stormed up after her and threw the door open. She was sitting on their bed crying quietly.
"What?" she sniffed, rubbing her eyes.
"I'm sorry." he said quietly. 
"Forget it I'm overreacting." 
"You're being human." he sat down next to her.
"Go to California with your friends John. Have a great week. Happy summer of 2009, right?" she said bitterly. He tried to wrap his arms around her but she shoved him away.
"Don't fucking push me away." he snapped, trying again. She shoved him harder this time. Maybe he'd get the hint that she didn't want to talk. 
"Go. Have fun with your ex this week." she said again, standing up.
"I'm not going damn it." he got up and grabbed her, trying to hug her again.
"Don't John." she tried to push him away but he grabbed her arms.
"I'm not going." he repeated. She ripped her right arm out of his. He still had a tight grip on her left one.
"Let me go." she hissed.
"STOP ACTING LIKE THIS! GET OVER IT." he yelled in her face. 
She smacked him right in the face. He stared at her, stunned. She sat there staring at his cheek which was turning red. 
"Oh baby I'm sorry." she touched his cheek. 
"I'm staying home." he grabbed her face and pushed his lips against hers. She pulled his shirt off and pushed him down on the bed, getting on top of him.

He woke up to his phone again. It was Eric. He looked at the clock. 10:45 am.
"Hello?" John croaked, sitting up.
"We need to talk about this." Eric said.
"Come over." John said quietly. 
He missed his best friend. 20 minutes later, Eric was knocking on the door. John opened it and they wrapped their arms around each other, tears forming in their eyes. 

They were sitting at the table drinking the coffee John just made.
"She was saying your name before she slipped under." Eric said, taking a sip of coffee.
"And of course I wasn't there." John stared at the wall. "There's a 4% survival rate. 4." John stared into his cup.
"We've known Lauren since birth. Has she ever given up?" Eric asked him. 
"This is different. She's practically dead. The other day I found myself wishing she'd just let go and stop suffering." John felt tears welling up in his eyes again. 
"You're my best friend John. You're stronger than that. You need to be strong for her. You've been moping around for too long. We need to fight with her." Eric said. He meant every word of it. He knew how hard this was for John but he wouldn't let him give up. For the first time, John felt a strong feeling of hope. Eric was right. How was she ever going to survive the battle with no shield?
"Let's go see her." Eric got up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all so so so so so so much for your interest!

<3