Status: YOUR comments are what inspire ME to keep on writing.

We've Proven Our Love Over Time So Strong.

Being Civil

I glanced over at the brunette girl who was the spitting image of her twin sister. “Michelle, what are you doing here?” Brian asked.

“I'd like to decorate my apartment for the holidays, and some of the stuff I've collected over the years I left in the attic. I just came to see if I can get them.”

For the first time in about five minutes, I was able to breathe. I hoped my sigh of relief wasn't very loud, because as soon as Brian cursed under his breath in the car, I knew exactly who was standing there, and just about held my breath. My first instincts told me that she was here to cause trouble because somebody told her that Brian's new girlfriend was in town for a bit. Of course, it could still be her intention, because I didn't exactly know how their post-break-up relationship was given all of their mutual friendships. Regardless, I was glad that drama didn't appear to be her intention.

“Yeah, of course. I uhh...I cleaned the house over the summer so I put everything that's yours in the basement. I had planned on giving you a call about it but we've been on and off tours. Come on in.”

“Thanks,” she said, giving a weak smile as she followed us into the house. We were kicking off our shoes in the foyer when she turned to me. “You must be Lisa.”

“Uhh, yeah,” I replied, trying my hardest to be civil to the girl who had broken Brian's heart. To be honest, I didn't want to be nice to her because she hurt Brian like my ex-boyfriend had hurt me, so I knew exactly how he felt. Of course, I didn't want to be the one to start any drama, so I decided to remain civil. Plus, I didn't know this woman, and if she and Brian could remain friends, the least I could do is try and be a friend as well, given that her twin sister is now a friend of mine.

“Valary has told me about you. Brian has too. You're the Navy girl, right?”

“Yeah, that would be me. I'm home on leave until next weekend.”

A half hour passed and the three of us had gotten the few boxes of hers loaded into her car. I was glad she wasn't here to cause drama, and I had come to the conclusion that she and Brian had made an agreement to at least be civil to each other. It was fine with me, because already being in the presence of my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend was awkward enough without drama. If she had started to cause trouble, I don't know what would happen, and my gut was telling me that if some sort of fight had started, I would be walking away single again.

Brian and I turned to head back inside, but she softly called out to me, asking if she could talk for a moment. “I don't know if you know how lucky you are to have him. He is such a sweetheart and he has a huge heart. Please don't make the same mistake that I did and hurt him.”

I turned and could see him through the window as he walked through the living room. “I know.” I smiled towards the window before turning back around. “I won't hurt him anymore than the distance hurts us both.”

“He doesn't deserve to go through that again.” She paused as she started up her car. “It was nice to meet you, Lisa. I hope we all can get together again and hang out.”

“Yeah. Umm...thanks for being civil.”

“I know what I did wrong and I don't deserve his forgiveness. We agreed to be civil for the sake of our mutual friendships and since my sister is married to one of his best friends.” Again, I nodded in agreement, and what she said next took me by surprise. “If you think I'm going to try and steal him back from you, you're wrong. Even if I did try, I can tell he wouldn't go for it.”

“Uhh...well, being the new girlfriend, I guess it's instinct to think that,” I said with an awkward laugh, trying to figure out how exactly to respond to her. “You know, considering you were waiting outside his house tonight.”

“It was my only night off this week, but I guess I shouldn't have just shown up here. Well, I'm off now. You guys have a good night and enjoy the rest of your leave.” She backed out of the driveway and was gone at that.

“Well then...” I mumbled to myself as I turned to head inside. A few feet inside, there's the entrance to the 'L' shaped staircase and as I walked in, Brian appeared from the landing around the corner. “Jesus!” I shouted as he had startled me.

“I didn't think you'd get stuck outside with her. She didn't try to cause trouble, did she?”

“No, not at all. I take it you two agreed to at least be civil to each other?”

“Yeah. Having a group of mutual friends doesn't make things any less awkward and easy to forget.” His arms snaked around my body, holding me close as his lips pressed against my temple. I couldn't really agree with him on that, because I didn't have mutual friends with my ex. I just sighed as my head rested against his chest for a moment, taking in the comfort of the arms that held me so protectively. “Just so you know, if she tries to come between us, I won't let her.”

I pushed away just a bit so I could look up at him. “Hey, don't worry about me like that. She said the same thing to me.” I wrapped my arms around him. “Brian, you know that I love you right?” I murmured against his chest.

“I do, and I love you too.”

“I know we haven't been together long, but you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love you so much, and I want you to know that no matter where the Navy sends me, I'll always be here for you.”

Brian kissed the top of my head. “I know, baby.”

We parted from our embrace and got comfortable in the den to watch a movie. One year ago I never would've imagined that I would be sitting on a couch, wrapped up in Brian Haner Jr's arms. One year ago I was just an Avenged Sevenfold fan like millions of others, but now I'm part of their family, and madly in love with the lead guitarist. It broke my heart to know I only had one more week at home, and I had to try and convince Brian to not drop everything just to live with me in Norfolk for a few months. While it would be great to have him there, the last thing I wanted was for him to put me before the band, his work, and blow all of that money on me.

When the movie ended, Brian shut off the TV and the lights before we made our way upstairs. After getting comfortable in bed together, I had finally decided to find the courage to not be selfish “So about this you moving to Norfolk to stay with me thing: I really don't think you should.”

“Why not? We're taking the time off anyways.”

My fingertips began tracing invisible patterns on his chest. “I know you guys are taking the time, but what if you guys are planning on six months off, but get bored after three? I'd rather you stay here with your work, because I doubt you guys can really record an album being three-thousand miles apart. The time apart for us is going to hurt, but think of it as me being on a ship and being deployed.”

“But, sweetheart. You're not going on a ship. You're going to be on shore duty, so why would I wanna pass up the opportunity for us to spend that time together?”

With a sigh, I shifted to sit up and face him. “Brian, it's not that I don't want you to come out there. This is me being selfless. I always put others before myself, and right now I just want things to be simple for the band. I also don't want you blowing your money for us. I don't want your band or your work to come second to me. Plus, what if I do end up getting sent somewhere at the drop of a hat?”

“I understand, baby. Let's make a deal. I'll talk to the guys about everything. Technology can go a long way very easily when it comes to us writing and recording. I'll and find out what the consensus is on when they'd like to go into the studio and come out there for a bit. Apartments can do six month leases and stuff and as far as money goes: I'm not all that worried about it. I just want both of us to be happy.”

“I know you do, and I want both of us to be happy too. I just don't want to get in the way of your work and stuff.”

“You won't, trust me.” He smiled as he rested his hand on my back. “This isn't the first time I've had a relationship while being in a band.”

“Yeah, but I bet she was able to go with you on tour. She lives here and isn't about to be shipped to god knows where.” I tried my hardest to stay positive, but I was failing miserably at it.

“Lisa, please stop being so pessimistic about this? We both knew full-well what we were getting ourselves into when you told me you were joining the Navy. I love you too much to let any of this tear us apart.”

Brian had a point. I know I had waited until a few days before I left for Boot Camp to tell him, but he still could've told me he then that he didn't want a relationship. The same went for me, knowing who he was, knowing that he was going to be touring, and knowing that I was going to be shipped around the world. I forced a weak smile as I laid back down next to him, resting my head on his shoulder. “You're right.”

He kissed the top of my head before chuckling. “I know I am.” His hand started stroking my back softly, quickly relaxing me. “Sleep now, baby.”
“I don't wanna,” I murmured. “Because if I go to sleep, I'll wake up one day closer to leaving.” As much as I was fighting the sleep, my eyelids closed as I began to drift.
Brian chuckled softly. “I don't think you really know what you want me to do,” he murmured softly. “I love you so much.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Lame filler. Been having so much trouble finding the motivation and inspiration to write.

On another note: if anybody is interested, I'm working on a re-write of the first A7X/horror story I ever wrote. Sshh, Be Quiet the new and improved version is being posted on Avenged Sevenfold Fanfiction, so wether you've read it before, or not, go check it out if you're interested.