‹ Prequel: Play in the Surf
Status: new sequel!!!

I'm Keeping the Kitten

Popcorn and Cuddling

Gallagher

I looked around the house, forgetting for a moment where I had left my phone. Seeing it on the counter near to the popcorn machine we had, I walked over and grabbed it, checking it to see that Faraday had in fact texted me only a few minutes ago, telling me that he was leaving his house.

I had started the popcorn and gotten the butter ready. It tasted just like the ‘movie popcorn’ that everyone I knew craved. I loved the taste as well so I bought the machine out of an old movie theatre they were renovating on the main island to ‘modernize it.’

I shrugged and walked in, watching some random show until Fair got here so we could put in the new movie. It was supposed to be hilarious, and hadn’t yet come out to DVD for everyone, but my father did know people.

“Nikolai!” I called up the stairs, deciding to at least be cordial and invite him to our little movie party.

“…What?” I heard after a moment and a thump. I guessed I scared him and he fell of the bed or something.

“We’re watching that new funny movie and we’re having popcorn!” I called up.

“Is Faraday coming?” He asked, and I sighed, knowing that he may not come down just because of that.

“Yes.” I said, hoping he would anyway.

“Thanks for telling me!” He said and I couldn’t tell whether or not he would actually come downstairs. His voice was noncommittal, but it didn’t sound dejected-like.

“No problem.” I said more to myself than anything as I walked back into the room, seeing a smiling Faraday there.

He pouted, “Aww, I was hoping if I showed up a little earlier, you’d be walking around in nothing but your swim trunks or boxers, and I’d get to see you all half-naked.” He said and I laughed at the silly boy.

“Fair, if you want to see my body, you only have to ask.” I said, leaning in and pecking his nose. The boy whined for more but I stopped it there when I saw Nikolai in the corner of my eye. “Can you put the DVD in and get it started? I’ll grab us all some popcorn.” I said to Faraday and smiled at Nikolai on my way past.

I went in and grabbed the weird giant spoon and three huge buckets, filling them to the brim of hot, buttery popcorn.

Smiling, proud that it didn’t burn or anything, I walked back in and set them down on the coffee table between the chairs and the flat screen that practically took up the whole wall.

Nikolai was sitting on the loveseat, to the left of where I had been sitting earlier, so I sat on the right side and picked up my popcorn bucket, not thinking anything of it as Fair turned around from putting the DVD in. I thought he would just sit to the right of me in the armchair, but it wasn’t that easy.

“Move.” Faraday instructed Nikolai, and it was like someone had stuck a hot poker into my chest.

“Why does he have to move?” I instantly retorted, the protective part of me showing through.

Fair stared at me in disbelief. “Because I want to sit by you.” He said, glaring at Nikolai who stayed frozen. I noticed how unconsciously, he shifted his weight towards me, as if to hide himself in my protective ways.

“I don’t care, fuck off.” I hissed at him, and his jaw just about hit the floor.

“What are you saying?” He asked and I glared this time, sitting up and putting my popcorn on the table, pulling Nikolai onto my lap so I could wrap my arms around his waistit’s been too long since I’ve held him like this.

“I’m saying that you are upsetting my brother and you need to leave Faraday. Now.” I commanded and the hurt boy scoffed.

“I thought you were better than a whore like him.” He spit out before storming out of the house.

We remained silent for a little while as the DVD’s main menu music played. “Are you alright?” I asked, urging to call the small boy in my arms Kola, but not wanting to rush towards a place he didn’t want to go. “You’re not a whore Nikolai.” I continued, wanting to get those thoughts right out of his mind.

“L-let’s watch the m-movie.” Nikolai murmured, not looking towards me and grabbing the clicker, hitting the play button before slipping off of my lap.

Though I missed the contact with him, I didn’t do anything to regain it. He was sitting closer to me than before.

The movie started and we ate our popcorn, but I couldn’t get what just happened out of my mind.

Faraday had done such a horrible thing, to do that. But also, it just showed how much I still am in love with Nikolai. I’m so protective and possessive of him, I practically told my best friend to fuck off.

I shook my head and decided to immerse myself in the movie and the still-warm popcorn, loving how cute Nikolai looked as he nibbled on the popcorn, his tiny arms around the huge bucket that was probably bigger than he was.

Of course, he didn’t’ know that I kept stealing glances at him, if he did I’m sure that he would have gotten uncomfortable and left, so I did my best to keep them secret.

By the end of the night, as we both started to drift off, we slid down the couch, and Nikolai found his way into my arms.

As the credits rolled, I smiled as I fell asleep cuddling with my baby brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jay here, posting for Sari. Thank you to everyone that's commented thus far, we love to hear your feedback!