These Butterflies

"Everything's Fine."

As I’m making my way back to our lunch table, I drop half of the things I’m trying to get there.

I sigh and crouch down to pick them up. I realize I can’t get a hold of the last few items, but that’s when I see another pair of hands reaching for them. I look up and find Connor.

“Need help?” I hesitate but when I see the mess on the floor I just nod. He grins as he picks up the remaining snacks. “This isn’t all for you, is it?”

“It’s for my friends,” I say and point my head towards our table.

“And they make you carry everything?”

“We take turns.” I press my lips together and head in their direction.

“So, uh, I never got a chance to ask how you were doing…”

“Everything’s fine,” I lie.

A look of concern sweeps over his face. “You seemed really upset Saturday night. I just-”

I cut him off. “If that’s all you want to talk about, you should just go now.”

“You don’t have to tell me what happened. I just wanted to know if you’re alright now.”

“Everything’s fine,” I repeat. As we’re about to get there, I realize something. “This isn’t your lunch. You're supposed to be in class right now.”

He beams. “You’re not gonna tell on me, are you?”

“Do you do this often?”

“First time.”

We get to the table and all my friends look up with widened eyes.

Sitting next to the Gomez twins is Jessica Stewart. Everyone calls her Jess. She's a little short with a very athletic body. She's in my grade but we didn't start hanging out until freshman year when she joined the wrestling team with Stephen and Alex. She's very pretty but more of one of the guys. Out of us all, she's definitely the one who parties the most. Sometimes she even parties with Connor's friends, but really she'll party with anyone. She does everything else with us, especially John. We all know he's her favorite.

Next to her is Nicholas Peters, also a junior. We call him Nick. He's really tall and lanky with bright red hair. He's a runner, mostly because his girlfriend's a runner. He joined cross country and track his sophomore year after dating her his freshman year, and he's not that bad. They both made it to CIF together. He's also the lead singer of his own band. They're really good but they're just starting out so they only play small venues. Most kids at our school enjoy their music and the ones who don't usually still go to their shows because Nick is really charming and funny.

His girlfriend, Rebecca Johnson, is sitting next to him. She has light brown hair and a beautiful tan. She's always outside. She's obsessed with running and surfing. She's been running competitively since elementary school and if we lived any closer to the beach, she'd be a competitive surfer too. She holds three national titles but she's very humble about her accomplishments. She's really bubbly and she'll talk to anyone.

Across the table is Chelsea Peters, Nick's little sister. She's a freshman with a cute round face and pretty blonde hair. She's a parent's dream: a dedicated ballerina, honest, sweet, has good grades, doesn't drink, regularly goes to church, has never snuck out, hasn't had her first kiss. She has an old soul, very mature for her age. She's quiet most of the time but everything she does say is either hilarious or inspirational. Even though she's the youngest, she gives the best advice and keeps the rest of us grounded.

Lastly, there's Tanner McDonough. He's sitting next to Chelsea, like he does everyday. He always looks at her sweetly and everyone could tell he's in love with her, but she's so innocent and reserved. I think he's perfect for her and I'm rooting for them to get together. He's very handsome and muscular. He was raised on a mountain where he hunted and participated in rodeos every weekend, until he was thirteen when he moved here. He's very endearing, polite, and chivalrous- the perfect southern gentleman. He's a total cowboy, with the boots, hats, and everything. He drives a pick-up truck to school and got us all into country music. He even inspired the touch of country in all of Nick's band's songs.

There's more people sitting at the table but they're more Alex's friends than they are mine. I drop everything on the table and hand out the snacks. From the corner of my eye, I see the twins and everyone else stare at Connor with suspicion.

“Is it alright if I steal her from you all today?” Connor asks. Everyone shrugs hesitantly. It's really awkward because most of them are friends with my brother as well but all of them know how much he hates Connor.

I think about declining but it wouldn’t hurt to see what Connor’s all about. I shrug back at my friends and hope none of them tell Alex. I'm sure someone is going to see me with him and tell Alex but I'm still hoping that I won't get caught. I look at Stephen and he cocks an eyebrow. I give him a wink but it’s clear he isn’t pleased.

Connor takes me outside and we sit with our backs up against a wall. Across from us is a large section of grass and I can’t help but notice that the reflection in his eyes makes them look bright green. I also notice that his hair is getting a little too long, but it looks good on him.

I open my bag of Lays. “Potato chips?” I offer.

He grins broadly. “Say that again.”

I give him a skeptical look. “Why?”

“Because you have a little British accent when you say it. It’s kind of cute.”

Potato chips,” I repeat and he chuckles. “So what was so important that that you ditched class for the first time just to talk to me?” I emphasize “first” because I’m sure he’s done this before for another girl.

“Well there’s something I wanted to ask but I know if Alex’s present, he won’t give me the chance.”

My phone vibrates once, which means I have a new text message.

Stephen: Dirt. Tonight.
Received: a few seconds ago

I roll my eyes.

“Can I see your phone?” Connor asks. I shrug and hand it to him. I’m starving and I all I want to do is eat. He gives it back shortly. “You have my number now. When you make up your mind, tell me if you’ll go out with me next Friday night.” Without speaking, I use my phone to answer his question. He furrows his eye brows in confusion and reaches for his phone.

My number is displaying on his screen with my message under it. “I’m not going.”

He laughs. “We’ll see about that.”

I examine him. He seems so confident. “Alex would kill you if he knew.”

“Is he here?”

“No.” He smiles at my response. “Is he the reason you’ve been avoiding me since Monday? It’s been four days. That’s not like you.”

“If you knew your brother at all, you would know he would literally kill me if he knew I was trying to get close to you. I needed to give him a few days to get off my back. If he thinks I’m leaving you alone, he’ll leave me alone. Plus, he scares me.”

“But you’re bigger than him.”

“But he’s on the wrestling team. He can have me on the floor in one move. He freaks me out.”

I laugh which causes him to smile, so I stop. “And that’s why you don’t talk to me in front of him?”

He raises his eye brows. “Would you?”

“Aren’t you afraid he’ll find out though?”

He gives me a soft side-smile. “Once you fall in love with me, there’s nothing he can do about it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I wrote this yesterday and I was going to post it yesterday but I realized Milan said "Everything's fine" TWICE and I remembered The Summer Set's new album comes out today and I thought it would be cool if I named the chapter after their album and posted it the day it comes out. Is that corny of me? :p

Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to comment. It lets me know you're still interested!