These Butterflies

Pain In His Eyes.

It’s almost noon when I wake up the next morning.

I walk into Alex’s room and, like I expected, he’s already awake. His arms are extended out and his elbows bend so that his hands are under his head as he stares pensively at the ceiling.

“Hey,” I say.

He looks over at me and grins. “It’s about time you wake up.” I smile back. He barely said anything last night after I caught him with Kate, and I wonder if he will this morning. “Are you all packed up for the trip?” he asks.

I nod. “Are you?”

“Yeah,” he says.

I start to wring my left arm nervously. “Have you talked to Melissa yet?” I wonder if he’s regretting inviting her to the trip this weekend.

His lips fall into a straight line and turns back to face the ceiling again. “She texted me. She’s on her way,” he mumbles. Only a few moments pass and he starts rubbing his temples tightly like he’s extremely anxious.

He lets out a sigh, and I know he’s already thinking about it so that’s when I decide to ask him, “Are you going to tell her about Kate?”

“No,” he responds quietly.

“What are you going to do?”

“Can we not talk about this right now?” he blurts out in a frustrated tone.

“Why not?”

Because. Kate wasn’t supposed to come over. None of that was supposed to happen.”

I gulp. “What exactly happened last night?”

He rolls his eyes. “Will you just let it go?”

I bite my lip. I don’t want to make him upset, but I want to know. “Will you just tell me?”

“Everything that happened last night, it wasn’t supposed to happen at all. I don’t know what I was thinking. I was being an idiot. I can’t believe Melissa didn’t even cross my mind. If you didn’t walk in…” He grabs onto his hair and pulls his knees up to his face like he’s in total distress.

I gulp before asking a question that’s possible answer terrifies me. “Would you have slept with her?” He sighs but doesn’t say anything after. I take his silence as a yes. “I thought you weren’t in love with her anymore,” I say in a shaky voice.

“I thought that too, but I don’t know. Seeing her just made me question everything. It was so confusing. I was happy, and I shouldn’t have been… I don’t know what happened to my brain last night.” My eyes begin to fill with tears and I can’t pull myself together enough to respond. We stay quiet until the doorbell rings and a look of dread fills his eyes. “That’s probably her,” he says. He looks at me straight in the eyes. “This conversation and whatever happened last night never happened.” I remain silent and follow a few feet behind him as he heads downstairs.

When he opens the door for her, she greets him with a big smile and a kiss on lips. When she pulls away, she’s still smiling. He smiles back and I wonder if she can see the pain in his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for taking long to update. I was a little stuck and I just started my sophomore year this week and it's a new campus for me so I've been busy and stuff so yeah. Any guesses as to what will happen? How do you all think Alex/ Milan will act around Melissa? What's Milan going to say to Alex and/or Melissa? ;)

On a different note, did anyone go to the Young and Useless Tour with This Century? I couldn't see them with The Maine last summer :( But I saw them live for the first time this Friday. They were so good! :)