Status: Being Revised. Thoughts and Opinions are always welcomed

Alone

Alone

“C’mon Kirsten get out of bed and get ready, so we won’t be late for the assembly.” I yawned then looked at the person who was saving me from my nightmares. It was Bianca. I nodded to her and she left my room.

I sighed and went to my closet. I looked at the few clothes I had. I decided on a pair of plain blue jeans and a long sleeved black shirt. I grabbed everything I would need for my first day of school and then went out the door. I went to the lounge and sat on the couch so I could put my shoes and hoodie on. When I was done I stood up and stretched.

Bianca came over to me. Gave me a piece of toast then yanked me out of the dorm. I wanted to stop her, I hadn't had time to eat, or use the bathroom at all, I probably had the worst morning breath right now. I didn't do anything though, we must have been running pretty late for her to slam the dorm door and run down the hall at full sprint.

We ran all the way to the assembly hall. I remembered it from the day Bianca gave me a tour of the academy. It was a huge building that only held rows and rows of seats and had a ginormous stage that you could see pretty clearly from any seat in the building.

We went inside and looked for seats. Bianca spotted Zachy and Leo and went and sat beside them. I followed her and sat down beside her.

A couple minutes later the lights started dimming down and people started getting quiet. Soon the head mistress came onto the stage and started talking. She looked the same as the first day I saw her, only today she had that small scarf around her wrist instead of her neck.

“Hello students and welcome back to Arine Academy.” People clapped and cheered. She started again once the excitement died down.

“As you know in a week or so we will have a welcome back celebration.” And at that people started going crazy.

“Anyways I know we are excited about that! Now I’ll let Counselor Wilson take over the mike.” A guy came up to the mike and started talking. He was lanky with curly black hair he had glasses that sat on the tip of his nose, he would push them back up every now and again but they would always find there way back.

He pretty much just went over the rules for the school year. The do's and the don’ts of Arine.
When he was done talking the head mistress came on again. She told us we were dismissed and for us to go to lunch now instead of whatever class we had then, we were to start the day off with our 1:30 class and go from there.

People started exiting the assembly hall, it was pretty much just a big mess, blobs and blobs of people trying to fit through the doors. I held off trying to let the majority of people out before I took a chance. I was just going to eat in my dorm room that way I would have a chance to really get ready for the day and be clean. But before I could get any farther I felt someone tugging on my arm. I turned and looked to see Bianca. I looked at her with questioning eyes.

“Do you want to eat with us?” she asked while gesturing behind her. I looked behind her and I saw Leo and Zachy. I shook my head no, then started walking again.

“Oh c’mon Kirsten, you know you want to come eat with us.” Zachy said while jogging after me. I shook my head again and kept walking. I heard him sigh.

“Fine.” I heard him mutter. I thought that meant that he had given up. I was wrong.

One minute I was on the ground walking and the next I’m in the air over someone’s shoulder. Zachy had picked me up and was carrying me over to the other two. I sighed and just hung there while Zachy and the other two talked about where we were going to eat at.

“Jeez, Kirsten do you ever eat. You’re as light as a feather.” I hit his head but not hard.

He readjusted me on his shoulder and relaxed again. I was picking at nothing on his shirt when I felt myself being lifted again. I was like a rag-doll being passed from one person to another. I looked at who had me now. It was Leo. He barely ever talked to me so I was a little surprised to see that he was the one carrying me. They started walking to one parking lots that Arine had for all the faculty and students, I believe there were four or five parking areas in all for the academy. We headed over to a black Escalade. Bianca and Zachy got in the front while Leo and I were in the back.

Where are we going? I wrote then showed it to Leo. He grabbed the pen and notebook from me.

I think we are going to some restaurant that Bianca likes. I looked at the paper then looked at him confused.

Why are you writing and not talking?

For two reasons.
1. I don’t want to sound like a fool answering a question that no one can hear.
2. I thought you might like someone writing in your own language for once.
He gave me the notebook back and I couldn't help but smile.

Thanks.

No problem.

Did I do something wrong to you? I was afraid to give him the notebook but I did. He read it then wrote back quickly.

No, why do you ask?

Well, because you never talk to me or anything.

Never had anything to say really. I read the note then nodded. I quit writing then. I had no more to say.

A couple minutes later we arrived at the restaurant. It was some place called Mozzy.We went in and got a table. Everyone was silent while they looked at their menus. No one talked until the waitress came. She asked what we wanted to drink and I had Bianca order my stuff for me.

Once she left everybody started talking, well except for me. I was doodling on my napkin when I felt someone shake me. I looked up to see everyone looking at me.

“You know sometimes we wonder if you’re deaf too.” Bianca said. I smiled and shook my head.

“Anyways, what’s your first class when we get back.” I thought for a moment. Then got my notebook out and wrote down English. I showed it to all of them and they nodded.

“Those two have it with you.” Bianca said pointing to the boys. I nodded toward the boys then went back to my napkin. A small bird had found its way onto my napkin, I had it flying with twigs and leaves in its' beak, maybe it was making a nest.

“What are you doing?” Bianca asked while taking the napkin away.

“Woah, this is really good. How come you don’t draw at the dorm or anything.” I got my notebook out and wrote my reply to her.

“You do? So when we get back can I see them?” I shook my head no. Her smile kind of fell and I felt bad, but a second later she was fine and showing the napkin to the guys.

Our food finally arrived and I couldn't help the grumble that came from my stomach when the smell from all the food made its way to my nose. While I was ate I was thinking back to the first night I was here. I was thinking about how Bianca said we would get along great and how I had doubted her words. I was beginning to doubt myself. My thoughts were interrupted when Zachy called my name. I looked over to him and he started talking.

“Were you always mute?” I shook my head no.

“Well, when was the last time you used your voice?” I wrote down the answer in my notebook and passed it to him.

“You became a mute last year?” I nodded.

“Well couldn’t you have waited a year, so I would be able to talk to you.” Both Bianca and Leo hit him after he said that. I shrugged and shook my head.

“What? I wanna hear her voice, I know you both are curious too.” They nodded their heads.

“Why did you become a mute?” Bianca asked me. I wrote downlong story then passed her the notebook. She sighed and shook her head.

“Will you tell me that long story sometime?” She asked. I quickly shook my head no. No one should ever have to hear my story.

I sighed and got up. I laid some money on the table and walked out of the restaurant and made my way back to the academy. I was thinking deeply when I heard a small squeak come from an ally beside me. I jumped a little, but then my curiosity got the best of me. I went down the alley and started looking for the source of the sound. I was looking behind a dumpster when I heard it again. I looked around again. That’s when I saw an old box on the other side of the dumpster. I went over to it and looked inside it.There, I saw the source of the sound. It was a small bundle of dirty black, brown, and white fur, it was a Tibetan Mastiff puppy. I took the puppy out of the box and saw it was a boy. He didn’t have a collar and he was very emaciated. I sighed to myself. We weren’t allowed pets on campus but if I kept him in my room no one would ever notice. I smiled to myself. I picked the puppy up and started walking out of the alley.

Once I was out of the alley I went looking around for a pet store.

After a little while I finally found one. I went inside and got the few supplies I would need for the small puppy. Thank goodness for the allowance I got from the orphanage. I ended up naming the puppy Bubba. I paid for all the supplies then left to head back to the academy.