Prank'd

Prank'd

"Dude, time to stop watching Spongebob. We gotta go play!" Syn thumped his fist against my arm before heading out the door.

It was our last show of the tour, something that meant anything could happen tonight. The crowds always seemed to be more into the last show, and the tradition of pranking the other bands was alive and well whenever we were around.

We had already set off a few smoke bombs and pyrotechnic effects during the opening bands set, plus we'd left them a bit of a surprise in their dressing room.

Don't ask why, but it had become a bit of a ritual for me to watch Spongebob Squarepants before our shows. My band mates had been the first to ridicule me about it, and now I almost do it just to annoy them.

"Hey guys, how's it going tonight?" Matt yelled into his microphone, earning frenzied screams from the crowd. I plucked lazily at the strings of my bass, waiting for Jimmy to start pounding out the beat of the opening number.

We'd been playing for a while when I looked out into the crowd and almost messed up. I could've sworn I saw the familiar yellow square head of Spongebob off to the side of the pit. Shaking my head, thinking I must be imagining things I headed over to the other side of the stage, playing up to the fans and singing the words along with Matt. We were just finishing that song when I saw the bright yellow cartoon character again, this time being sure I'd seen it.

"Hey man, did you see Spongebob over there?" I asked Zacky as I nodded my head in the direction I was talking about.

"Spongebob? I think you're going nuts Christ," he just laughed me off before he was singing backup along with Syn. I shook my head at him and went back to concentrating on the music and giving a good performance.

"I hear you've been seeing Spongebob," Matt stated, looking pretty amused. Syn and Jimmy were still out on stage, Syn putting in another of his signature solo performances.

"Yea I spotted him twice out in the crowd. It's weird. You guys really haven't noticed?" It was beginning to bug me that I was the only one to see a big block of yellow foam.

Matt clapped his hand down on my shoulder, giving a bit of a squeeze as he laughed, "Nope, haven't seen anything strange. Sorry little man, I think you're really seeing things."

Hearing the final chords of the solo we walked back out to cheers and even more screaming. As the sound died down a little I caught another glimpse of the squarepanted sponge and grabbed Syn's shoulder, turning him around to look while I pointed the cartoon figure out to him. "Tell me I'm imaging it," I challenged while he chuckled, his infamous smirk showing itself.

"I see him man. Don't worry." As he walked off to the other side of the stage I felt the urge to break out into a happy dance while grinning like an idiot.

"Yes, I'm not insane!" I screamed out, getting a few curious glares.

After talking quietly with Syn, Matt started to talk to the crowd again. "You guys know this is the last show of the tour, right?" He was answered by a lot of screaming, and even some booing. "And you know that the last show always means pranks, right?" More cheering as people wondered where he was going with this. "Well we decided to change things up a bit this time, we thought we'd have a bit of fun with you guys."

"I know some of you know what we're talking about, " Syn put in to more screams. "Have you noticed Johnny's been a little off tonight?"

"Can we get Spongebob up here?"

Now I was really confused. It kind of clicked in the back of my mind that my band had pulled a prank on me, but didn't really register fully. As Spongebob climbed onto the stage, with a little help from security, he hauled himself up and ran towards me, tackling me to the ground. Much amusement was taken from this event, as the band was struggling to control their laughter.

Once Matt had regained his composure he began to explain the situation to the waiting fans, "Little Johnny Christ over there has a bit of an obsession with our yellow friend Spongebob. We have to suffer through an episode before every show, so we thought it was time to get him back."

"Thanks guys," I huffed, having made it back to my feet and to a mic stand. "They tried to make me think I was hallucinating!"

"Rock out with Spongebob and enjoy this last song! You've been great tonight guys!"