Status: Active

Let's See What You're Not

i've never been one to walk alone;

i've always been scared to try


Mark

Emma had me really excited for camping. I haven’t done it in so long and even though we can only set up the tent on the beach, which is right in front of my house, I still can’t wait for this adventure. I’ve never spent the whole night outside before without a parent being there too. If they weren’t with my granddad right now then there’d be no chance of them allowing me to do this. What they don’t know can’t hurt them though, right? And it’s not as if Emma will tell them that we’ve done it.

Emma and I hunted the tent out of the garage and started packing up supplies and things to keep us warm for the night. We want this to be a proper experience so we can’t go back into the house for anything. This is going to do so much good for me, I can feel it.

I’ve been distracted all day with getting stuff ready, plus there’s a high chance that I’ll sleep tonight. Not only because I'm ridiculously tired from my lack of sleep over the past few nights, but also due to how worn out Emma’s made me today. She’s had me running up and down getting things ready for hours now. I'm actually exhorted.

“You’re not scared of the dark, are you?” Emma asked with a cheeky grin on her face.

“You know I'm not.”

“You were scared last time,” she chuckled.

I wasn't scared, but I do know which time she’s on about. It was Halloween a few years back and I was freaked out by some horror film. It wasn't the dark I was freaking out over though, it was more the evil spirits that could appear out of nowhere and suck out my soul and then kill me that got me a little worked up. You have to admit, it’s a scary thought.

“Don’t know what you’re talking about,” I lied, pretending that the whole screaming the house down and wetting myself thing didn't happen.

“Sure you don’t...”

Whatever Emma; believe what you like.

“Can we go out now?” I asked her. “I know it’s only six but it’s getting dark so we might as well,” I smiled.

Oh and in case any of you are worrying about my education, there’s really no need. I didn't stay off school today as well, it’s Saturday, I'm meant to be at home.

“I think now would be a good time,” she smiled. “Have you got all the blankets and torches?” she asked me.

“Yes,” I rolled my eyes.

“Have you got clothes etc and the tent?”

“Yes Emma,” I replied in the stern voice you’d be expected to use in the army.

“Well let’s get out there soldier,” she laughed as she picked up some of the bags and we made our way out of the house to the beach.

In some places you’d expect beaches to me busy, especially on Saturdays, but here it’s generally quiet. We do get some tourism, obviously, but they generally don’t stay around for that long. It’s not that this place is so bad it scares them all off, it’s just other than the beach and a few shops, there’s nothing special here at all.

“Do you know how to set this thing up?” Emma asked me.

Honestly, no, no I don’t.

“Yeah,” I smirked. “I’ve done this a thousand times.”

I don’t really know why I lied, but luckily it was easy to work out how to pitch it so the truth didn't need to come out.

When we had it up we both crawled inside with our bags and everything else. It’s not a big tent, only made for two people, three tops if you squish up a little. I like it though. I feel safer in this tent than I would if we had one of those massive twelve man ones. You could actually get lost in them.

“If we die out here I'm blaming you,” Emma told me.

“This was your idea.”

“Your tent,” she laughed.

I just shook my head at her. Our death will be her fault, not that it’s likely we will die tonight.

“It is safe here, isn't it?” she asked me.

What does she mean is it safe? A beach is like the most child friendly place I can think off. Well, unless you get too close to the water unsupervised...

“I’ve lived here all my life,” I smiled. “I'm pretty sure we’re safe.”

“What about the homeless guys? Mum said them and the drunks get violent later on, that’s why she drives me back home.”

“Don't worry about it,” I told her. “We’re fine out here.”

She nodded but I could tell she didn't completely buy into that. Truth is, she does have a point, but I really want to stay out here. Fear is just another part of the adventure.

“Crap!” she shouted, jumping out her skin at the sound of her ringtone.

I couldn’t help laughing at her as she fished it out of her jeans pockets.

“Oh, hey granddad,” she said in a chirpy voice.

Its great how close Emma and her granddad are. I wish I could’ve had a closer relationship with my Nan. We were close but not as close as we could’ve been. Then again, she’s only that close to him because of her parents being useless... I'm glad mine are here for me.

“Now?” she asked, looking at me with sad eyes.

Has something happened on her side too?

“What?” I mouthed.

“Sure,” she sighed. “That’s, erm, not a problem, bye.” As soon as she hung up she looked at me with sympathetic eyes. “Is it alright with you if I go back home?” she asked quietly. My heart dropped. This was meant to be an adventure for both of us. “I really don’t want to leave you and I’d love to camp out, I swear. Something’s come up at home though,” she explained, sounding panicked.

“That’s fine,” I whispered, trying hard to mask how much it wasn't fine. “What’s happened at home?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged, grabbing her bags and her blankets. “I’ll catch the bus back. Will you be okay?”

“Yeah,” I lied again.

“Do you want me to help you put the tent in again?”

“No,” I smiled. “You get home, I’ll sort it out.”

“Thanks for understanding Mark,” she smiled, pulling me into a quick hug. “I'm really really sorry.”

Being okay wasn't the only thing I lied about. I wasn't going to put the tent away. I'm doing this. I'm camping whether Emma’s here with me or not. This is something I need to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
[[Title Credit: Maybe]]

Short filler kind of chapter, but the next one's going to be really long :P Kinda haha
It's 2559 words at the moment and I've got more to do. It's not that long actually, but I usually have shortish chapters for this so it's long for this story :)

Thanks to imperfecktion (it gets nicer :P) and Vampire Blood xxx (sorry) for commenting :P