Saving Outcast

Ellis

As I ran, as fast as an arrow, soaring through the air, I heard a twig snap, and heavy panting. Alert, I pivoted on my heel to face the being that dared to come behind me. All I could do was stare in wonder. Before me was a faerie, much like myself, but injured.

With caution, I crept closer. This person was in trouble, and for some reason, he was scared. His black, feline tail flicked back and forth. He struggled to open his yellow eyes. As I looked closer, I noticed he had whiskers and claws.

I kneeled by his side, and examined his wounds. They were gashes. It looked like someone tore his skin from two places to one point. Most of the injuries were placed around his shoulders.

I needed to help him. Whatever was happening to me, it was much, much worse for him.

I hauled him up, to bring him to the house. I had my medical supplies there. I might have been able to help him. But not here. Not where he could get infected.

I ran as fast as inhumanly possible with the boy cradled in my arms. I dodged the trees, and leaped over brooks. Nothing could get in my way.

When I reached the house, I threw open the door, and breezed up the stairs. I knew people saw me, but I didn't care. They wouldn't dare to bother me now. The would have their throats bitten out.

I ripped open the oak door leading to my room, and went straight to the first aid kit.

~~~~

The boy had just started to wake up when I reentered my room. This time, he was bandaged, and not losing any more blood.

"Are you the one who helped me?" he questioned.

"Are you covered in bandages?" I retorted. I was not in the mood for small talk. MY "mother" had just chewed me out for bringing another "abomination" into the house.

"Who are you?" he tried a different approach.

"An outcast faerie like you"

"I didn't know there were others" he said, bewildered.

"Neither did I, 'til I saw you,"

"I'm Harlo." he greeted yet again.

"Ellis," I responded curtly, my expression barely softening. "What happened to you?"

"The other faeries I live with have beaks. That's all I'll say." He looked like he didn't want to talk about it. Who could blame him? It must've been a painful experience.

"ELLIS SEN!" My mother called. She insists that my middle name be pronounced "sin" because that's what I am. Personally though, I disagree.

"I'll be right back," I said to Harlo, while I was starting to panic. I didn't need him to overhear my mother hitting me for doing something "wrong."

"Coming Mother!" I spouted in response to my mother's yell.

I walked slowly towards the door, hesitating in opening it. I really didn't want whatever was in store for me to happen.

When I entered the dining room, over which my mother presided, I was greeted with a sight never seen before. It was my entire family, in one room, being quiet. Mind you, I have twenty-one brothers and sisters. I searched out my little Thedias. He looked the most confused. He was only two years old.

"Ellis Sen," my mother said for the second time that day, "Why do you bring another subject of blood treason into this house? Was one not enough for you? Are you hell-bent on ruining this family?" By then end of her tirade, mother was yelling, and Thedias and his twin sister, Malikay were crying.

The sight was enough to make me want to take them away from this horrid place. And I planned to do so. I just needed to figure out how.

"Mother," I insisted, "please stop with your yelling. You are scaring them. If it's blood traitors you're worried about, we will leave. Just let me say goodbye." I saw her deliberate with herself for a moment. Being rid of me would gain her, her parent's approval of her family. She would be able to have her inheritance. With that, she would have no need for me.

"Fine, you have two minutes. Then you must leave!" I ran over to little Thedias.

"Teddy. Don't you ever let them tell you I was sick. They're just mean, okay?" I whispered in the sweetest tone I could muster.

"Yes, Sen Sen," he muttered back.

"I have to leave now, but don't worry. I'll be okay. Nothing can happen to me," I said to ease his apparent worries. The truth was, something would happen to me. I was just unaware as to if it was good or bad.