Saving Outcast

Ellis

My hunting trip lasted all night, or most of it really. I was back at camp before sunrise, with a gutted and skinned deer in my arms. While the meat was cooking over a fire, I wandered off to find some edible foliage. I ended up coming back with a bowl full of blackberries.

"I smell food!" Harlo sang, elongating the last word into two syllables. He was skipping around the fire, as if it would make the food cook faster.

"Harlo!" I yelled to get his attention.

""Huh?" he expressed with a look of confusion across his face.

"Stop invading the food's personal bubble."

"Why should I?" he asked defiantly.

"Because every time you get withing seven feet of that fire, the food stops cooking." The look that passed over his face was priceless. He looked like a teenager who just found out that they will eventually have to cook and clean for themselves. It was the same look I had on my fifth birthday. The day I became a slave to my family.

Harlo sat just seven feet and one inch away from the fire, watching it like it was his prey and he was a tiger. Of course it was his prey, technically, but as we all should know, he's a panther. Not a tiger. He thinks he is though. When he gets bored he-annoyingly- starts yelling "Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!" repeatedly.

When the food was ready, twenty minutes later, I called Harlo over. Apparently, it wasn't necessary, because the second I said his name, he was at my side. Literally.

"You're fast," I said in awe.

Yeah. Did I forget to mention that?" he said with a playful glint in his eye.

"I know that look. We don't have time to waste today," I stated, "Just sit down and eat your breakfast."

"What if I don' wanna?"

""Do it," I commanded, "You'll need your strength." He listened, but he wasn't polite about it. That boy was the sloppiest eater I had ever seen. When he finished his last mouthful of food, he flashed me a toothy grin.

"Don't give me that look," I said, formulating a plan in the back of my mind.

"And why not?" he asked as if nothing could bring him off his metaphoric high horse.

"You're cleaning up. Everything."

"All of it?" he asked, now reduced from king of the forest to a lowly servant.

"All of it." The shine I got in my eyes when things were going my way was back, and I had a feeling it was going to stay for a while.
♠ ♠ ♠
If there are any errors you feel the overwhelming urge to correct, please let me know. Or if you just want to say something, that's welcome as well. :) Thank you to my friends DeathShadow and Bananaz Radke-Iero for commenting. XD You guys are awesome :)

OH! and the character list has been updated. there are pictures now :)