Saving Outcast

Ellis

"I had an idea," Harlo said after an hour of silent running.

"And what would that be?" I asked, drawing out my first word.

"Well, you know how we thought we were alone?" I nodded, "and then we-you found me?" I nodded again, "What if there ware others. we could find them and create a new faerie colony."

It wasn't a bad idea, actually it was a pretty darn good idea. There wouldn't be discrimination because- most likely- there would be no minority to speak of. Everyone would be different. One of a kind.

Utopia. The ultimate, yet so far unattainable perfect society. I could be it's creator.

Ultimate Ruler said a voice in my head. It was sickly-sweet. The kind of sound that commands your attention effortlessly. The kind of voice that could only belong to evil, and what can evil be, if not cunning and sly.

"Well?" Harlo asked, "What do you think?" His questioning drew me from my thoughts. I was grateful for it. If I was left alone with my thoughts-and that evil thing-for too long, I would go mad. And that is never a good thing with me.

~~~~

After a few more hours, it was growing dark, and Harlo and I decided that it would be best to take a rest. We slowed our aching feet and came to a stop. I concentrated on calming myself, and let my wolf features-all but my ears-sink into my body, to be let free another time. My ears would only go away-I vowed- when absolutely necessary. I had lived for long enough without them, and they would save my life. Of that I was sure.

"I'll find food for the morning," volunteered Harlo. He looked at me as if he were afraid I would snap. I didn't blame him. I had detached myself from any reality there was since the incident with the voice.

"Is there anything you would prefer?" he continued.

"A new subconscious maybe," I replied dully.

"And why is that?" he asked playfully.

"The one I have is evil," My detached facade was breaking. My straight face was slipping. My mouth turning down in a frown.

"Do you need to talk about it?" Harlo asked while cautiously sitting down beside me. I hadn't remembered sitting down. I'm losing it I thought to myself.

Yes you are. hissed that evil voice.

"Harlo!" I yelled. His head whipped around to look at me, "It's back. The voice is back!"

"Hold up. Slow down," Harlo said, trying to make sense of the situation. "What happened?"

"The voice. It's evil. It wants me to be the supreme ruler. I don't want to be the ruler," I said through sobs. The insanity that was running through my mind was trying to stay, to break me. I was trying to fight it back, but so far, it was winning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Opinions?