Saving Outcast

Harlo

He wouldn't give me a straight answer! I wanted to help him, but he wouldn't let me in. If you've ever tried to help someone who wouldn't let you, you more than likely know how hard this was. If now, well then, lets hop you never have to.

"Ellis. You need to calm down. Now I want you to start from the very beginning. What's the matter?" I asked, trying to get him to calm down. It seemed to work. The more I talked, the more he calmed down.

"I don't know where to start," he whispered. I thought for a moment before seeing a bruise on his face from the butterfly event. I was reminded of the look on his face when he ran through the spiderweb.

"Why did you react the way you did when you went through the spiderweb?" I asked, trying not to set him off. It seemed as if I was doing that a lot today. As I turned my attention back to Ellis, I saw his face paling.

"One bit Thedias once. It was poisonous," he croaked, his voice dry from crying, no doubt.

"And thi-" I started before he cut me off.

"He almost died! My son!" I was shocked. I didn't expect to hear that, and by the look on his face, he didn't expect to say it either.

"You're only seventeen," I said quietly, my heart breaking for him. No one that young should have to go through all the things he's been through.

"You think I don't know that?" he screamed at me, "Maybe you should be saying that to my mother who raped me!" I never thought my heart would break twice in one day. I'll never be able to say it didn't happen though. I sat next to him, silently enveloping him in a hug. He turned toward me and cried into my shoulder, periodically mumbling curses and hitting the ground.

After he stopped crying, he did the one thing I never would have expected except in my dreams. He kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
surprised?