Status: Slow but getting there, promise :)

The Trouble of Taboo

Chapter 25

Chapter 25
I sat outside the pub, trying to decide whether to go in and see Adrian or not. I knew it would be better than sitting at home brooding, waiting for the next call, and drinking alone whilst I imagined what hell Paige was going through… but if I went in there I would have to explain everything. There was no way I could lie to Adrian, he would know straight away. What if he turned me into the cops and Paige was never found? No one else would look for her, her parents certainly didn’t care enough about her.
I finally, found myself walking through the doors and sitting down opposite Adrian, a pint already there for me, I half smiled at the considerate thought and downed half of it without thinking. For a minute, I just sat there trying to figure out how to start, and then it just all came tumbling out of my mouth.
“So yeah, that’s everything. The last few months of my life have been the happiest, scariest and craziest of my life but I cannot live without Paige. I know it is wrong and I hate myself everyday but I cannot stay away from her, trust me I tried! We just fit, so much more than anyone I have ever been with. I get it if you don’t understand, but please, do me a favour and wait until I find her before you give my name to the cops, alright? I need her to be safe.” I had been looking at the table the whole time, scared of the expression on Adrian’s face at what I was telling him.
“Oh.” Was all Adrian could say for a minute. I was surprised, his face didn’t look completely disgusted, more confused and unsure what to do. “And… you are sure?” He asked me and I looked confused at him, “You are sure of how you feel for her? And you are sure it is her who has Paige?” I smiled a bit hearing him say Paige’s name, I knew he wouldn’t have said it if he wasn’t at least a little but sure of how I felt.
“Yes, I love her. I know it is crazy and seems immature but it is true. And yes! Definitely her! She’s rung me. I know that voice anywhere!” I told him, my voice getting louder and angrier with each statement, until I was pretty much shouting. I looked around me, embarrassed but was glad to see there was no one really around us to notice or care about what we were saying.
“Then I will help you.” Adrian said at last in a quiet voice. I looked at him shocked?
“What?” I asked, he cannot be serious. I would never make him do that. “You don’t have to.”
“No, but I want to. I would like to meet this lovely young lady whom my best friend adores so much. So I must help you find and save her. Plus it is kind of my fault, I guess.” His voice saying everything he needed to and his eyes telling me not to argue with him, even though it wasn’t his fault at all.
We sat there, sipping out pints for a bit and just thinking. Then my phone rang. I picked it up and saw Paige’s name. Even though I knew it wasn’t her, my heart still fluttered with some kind of hope that she had managed to escape and was ringing me to come and get her.
“Hello?” I asked, keeping my voice steady and calm. I put it on speaker phone so Adrian could hear.
“Well hello baby. How are you doing?” I shivered at the sound of her voice, it was like nails down a chalk board in the way that she screeched and I hated every part of it. I stiffened my back and hardened myself to talk to this psychotic human being.
“Where is Paige?” I asked her, seeing Adrian put his head in his hands at the confirmation that it was indeed her.
“I am sure you will find her soon… but first… a few more tasks to complete your humiliation” I sighed heavily, getting more and more annoyed and went to have a go at her, when Adrian lifted his head and shook it “Don’t aggravate her” he mouthed at me and I knew he was right, but I just wanted Paige back. “You need to go to Creative Cakes and pick up the cake in your name and put it in the fridge of the house you were at earlier today. Did you recognise the house by any chance? You should have!” My anger was causing me to shake now.
“Why can’t you just give me Paige back. She has done nothing to you, nothing! She is innocent.” I half shouted at the phone, not even caring if anyone noticed.
“Yes, she is innocent. An innocent child! Would you prefer I went to the cops instead, you freak! She’s not even pretty!” The voice screeched back at me and before I could respond, to defend my Paige, she hung up.
“She is so annoying!” I vented at Adrian. I ran my hands through my hair and wanted to just pull it out. I would give anything for Paige but I was not sure how much longer I could keep going through these idiotic schemes to try and get her back. I needed her here now, she kept me calm!
“Neil! Stop it! Think about Paige. She needs you!” Adrian’s voice drifted through my rage and I lifted my head up. I couldn’t see Adrian though, just innocent Paige at different times; that first time outside of my classroom, the first time we kissed, when she was stood outside the cinema in her bra looking so frail and broken, the day at school after her dad and then this morning when she was so confident and sexy and happy. I had to save her. I had to get her back and not let her innocence be ruined.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit all over the place but no other way to tell the story and build the suspense unfortunately.