Status: If I finish this, I will buy myself a cake.

For Someone Like You

Passenger Seat

My head spun as I tried to fathom who I was living next door to. I felt drunk yet again – I didn’t need Stephen’s beer. I stopped halfway to the store Josh showed me the night before, but raced back as quickly as my heart patient lungs would let me.

Why couldn’t I just go over now? I should have just gone right over. No, that would be desperate. But wouldn’t it be that I told him I’d be over the same day anyway? Was it going to go well? What would happen? Should I tell Dev?

I texted D as I walked.

A: Devin. I need to tell you something.
D: Hurry up. I’m hearing a lecture on time management. I need it.
A: Painfully true. I’m hanging with Judah today. TSS will be back at 6.
D: …What?
A: Nintendo w Judah.
D: HOW
A: Explain later. Have fun!
D: I hate you.

I grinned to myself. I was going to get changed. No! I was going to shower again first. I’ll…

I felt like more of a girl than I did usually. I reached the house, shedding clothes as I walked, singing obnoxiously to myself. I hopped in the shower – no harm in being extra clean – not stopping. I raced around the house in a pair of underwear singing “I Feel Like Dancing,” bouncing as I found one of my old favorite shirts.

I thought about putting it on, but I thought about it a bit.

Maybe I shouldn’t wear a shirt with Judah’s band name on it. Especially because I could have been one of a hundred people to have the design I had. I slowly put it away, sad. It had always been my lucky shirt – I wore it to every big event along with a pair of purple pants, D had even gotten used to it. I groaned. Why was I being so particular about clothes? I don’t like them anyway.

I slid on a long tank top and some brightly colored leggings, putting on makeup and brushing my teeth until I gagged. I decided it would only be fair if I left a note, as well.

Can I just say you guys are my angels?
D should be home right before you.
I’ll be back later!
-AK
P.S. – I didn’t need Stephen’s booze.

I smiled for a moment, pleased with myself. I scooped up my backpack and filled it with my essentials, a few dollars, and I fetched my water bottle before going outside and skipping down the driveway. When I reached the house, I stared up at it as I had to the house I lived in now, building up courage to reach the door. My hand hesitated before ringing the doorbell, giving me a chance to take a double take at my surroundings. Our street wasn’t too busy, but the cars were loud. My eyes rested at a worn-down red car in the driveway – one that very much resembled my Rabbit.

That’s it, they would love me.

I finally rang the doorbell after giving myself a pep speech, then the door was answered almost immediately.

“Not interested.” The man I recognized as Duck gave me a sarcastic, tight smile and shut the door in my face.

I stomped my foot in a childish fit of rage, then pressed the doorbell another three times.

“We don’t want any –” He yelled as he swung the door open, nostrils flared. “Oh. You’re not that girl trying to sell us stuff, are you?”

“No, I’m here to see your brother,” I grumbled, offended.

“I guess I’ll go get him then.” Duck went to close the door, but he opened it back up, searching my face. “But have you been here before?”

“No,” I answered quickly.

“Okay… Wait here.” He shut the door once again in my face, and I crossed my arms, tapping my foot. I soon heard fidgeting with the knob, and my new friend was smiling at me in the open doorway.

“Alex! He left you outside?”

“Yeah. And slammed the door in my face a few times.”

Judah frowned. “I’m sorry. He’s just…”

“It’s okay, I don’t care.”

He raised an eyebrow, but got out of the way so that there was space for me to step inside. “Come, join us.”

I giggled, curtseying.

Jude guided me through his home, pointing out things he must have found to be important – the fridge, a random TV on a counter, his friend Joel as he ventured into the kitchen to make some ramen, another one of his roommates, his collection of hot sauce bottles, a picture of his band at the VMAs, his band lounging on the couch watching TV, then pointed at the stairs.

“Wait, I didn’t introduce you,” He stated, turning around and walking back to stand in front of the TV. A few of the guys strained their necks to look around him. “Guys, this is Alex. She’s next door with The Summer Set.”

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Yo!”

“Sorry I slammed the door in your face.”

“You look familiar.”

I waved at them, not looking to see who said what. I scolded myself a bit, I didn’t need to see.

We climbed down the stairs into a fully-finished basement with two small couches, a large chair, and a small table surrounding a large screen for a projector. I let out a childish squeal of excitement.

Judah chuckled, then motioned that he wanted me to sit down. I obeyed, then he took a seat on the same couch. “I seriously feel like we’ve met before,” He stared at me closely.

I sighed. “I’ve co-run your fansite for a few years.”

His jaw dropped. “And you didn’t say anything?”

“I didn’t want to freak you out,” I bowed my head, ashamed.

“Why would that scare me?”

“Because it’s creepy.”

“Well, a bit,” He chuckled, giving me a look that told me he didn’t care. “But it just means you know me a lot more than I know you.”

“It does,” I agreed. I smiled, finally comfortable. “It means I know you’ll kick my ass at anything we play.”

He laughed. “I’ll go easy on you.”

“Doesn’t sound fun at all,” I smirked.

Judah grinned, then walked across the room to turn the projector on and tossed me a gamecube controller, announcing that melee would be first.

I always played as Link, but made sure I lost to him every time. I didn’t want him to know I spent my life on a stupid game. He tried helping me out by putting me on a team or by switching who he was every other round. I pretended to get close to beating him a few times, but I failed on purpose. Our conversation about our lives was getting a little too interesting for me to pay attention to what I was doing.

“How about I make a bet?” He shot me a sly smile as Link flew off of the screen. I grunted in response. “I beat you; you have to see me again tomorrow. You beat me this round, gyros are on me.”

I could feel his eyes on me – he was probably testing me, wondering if I knew what the hell he was saying. I merely continued playing, deciding that I was hungry and that I’d take up the bet.

The game was over in five minutes.

“I win.”

I looked over to see his jaw drop. He replaced his dumbfounded look with an annoyed one. “You’re lucky. Best two out of three?”

“No, I’m hungry.” I stood, smirking. “A bet is a bet.”

He mumbled quietly, standing up to tower over me. “I guess you’ll have to just follow me. I mean, I was going to do this tomorrow, but…”

“Stop complaining,” I warned with a giggle. “I haven’t been to a decent deli since the last time I hung out with my old bassist…”

Judah nodded. “Come on, then.”

I climbed the stairs behind him as he struggled to keep his pants up. I chuckled under my breath. He bounded up the last step to attack his brother, who was coincidently standing with his back toward us. He announced that he was taking me to get food, then Duck hugged him back as the rest of the guys waved.

Judah opened the little car outside’s door for me as I approached it, my cheeks flushing red. We continued our cheerful conversation about music and the writing process. I tried my best not to speak a word about the fansite – I’d never get the end of it, Devin would be angry if she found out I’d told him and he didn’t already know – but he often would try to get me to talk.

“You interviewed us once,” He stated once as he turned a corner. “It was my favorite one, too… I can’t believe I forgot what you look like.”

“I’m nothing spectacular to look at,” I shrugged. “I don’t stick out, is all.”

“Don’t say that,” He shot me a sad look as he pulled into a parking space.

I made a face.

“Come on, let’s get you food,” He grumbled, stepping out of the car. He stuck his hands in his pockets as I raced to be by his side.

“I haven’t been anywhere near here before,” I mumbled, angry with myself. I was getting tired of cooking or getting fast food, I’d have to remember directions.

“Stick around then, you’ll get tired of this place.” Judah smiled, pleased with himself. “Here and this one taco shack by the beach.” He opened the door for me, and I thanked him with a wide grin.

He slipped in beside me and ordered for us as I got myself a drink from an old soda fountain, then sat down to give me my sandwich. I bit in and let out a grunt of approval.

“Wait… if you’re the girl that’s running everything… Wouldn’t that mean you’re from Michigan or something?”

“I am,” I said with a mouthful of food. “Devin, the one that made it with me, got accepted with practically a full-ride scholarship to a college around here for music.”

“She’s a musician?” He looked up, excited.

“No… She’s in it so that she can be a tour manager or work with producers.”

“Oh…”

“I’ve been trying to teach her how to play guitar for a good three years, though,” I giggled, recalling memories of classical training methods I’d tried to get her to learn. “She’s not bad at that, but…”

“That means you are, then?”

I laughed. “The reason we’re next door is because Brian wants me to sing on the new record.”

“I have to hear you, then! What’s you band’s name?” He sat up excitedly, whipping out an iPhone and waiting for m to say something.

“I don’t have one.”

“You said you did before.”

“Before I moved. They didn’t come with me, I didn’t want to do that to them.”

“I moved here for my band.”

“I know, but I couldn’t bring them all. And I really couldn’t stay.”

“Did you ever at least put out a CD?”

“No.”

“Ahh…”

He sat silent a moment, then pulled out a small bottle of hot sauce to smother over his food. I scrunched up my nose at the sight.

“You have the taste buds of a pregnant woman,” I stated. He laughed quietly to himself.

My phone vibrated wildly. I shot him an apologetic glance, taking out my phone.

D: Band is home. Where are you
A: Getting food with Jude.
D: Come home soon they want you.
A: Why?
D: Apparently they bought you vodka and cigars.
A: I don’t want it.
D: They think it’s hilarious.

“What’s wrong?” Judah asked as I flared my nostrils at my phone.

“The guys are making fun of me again,” I groaned. “It’s worse now… I got drunk for the first time last night, and they’re probably going to try to get me to drink more tonight just for kicks…”

“Your first time? How was that?

“I made some really dumb decisions.”

“Sounds about right.” He bit his lip. “I could probably save you from it if you want.”

“You’re sweet,” I told him, giving him a warm smile. “But I wouldn’t want to take up anymore of your time.” My phone went off again. I scoffed.

D: ALEX!
A: WHY ARE YOU RUINING THE MOMENT
D: DUCK IS HERE!
A:WHAT DOES HE WANT?
D: He wants us all over tonight.
A: let’s do it then. Get some.

“I guess I’ll be over anyway,” I sighed, smiling.

“What?”

“We were all invited over tonight, I guess.”

“That’s good,” The boy grinned. “We can escape to the basement if they harass you.”

D: ALEX COME HOME AND HELP ME LOOK PRETTY.

I shoved my phone into my pocket. “Would you mind taking me home?”

“Sure thing,” He crumpled up the wrapper that was originally concealing his sandwich. “I’d love to take you home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. This will be the end of this guy, don't worry. He's just going to be important at the very end.

Typing during school is always awkward. There's this kid next to me that tries to read it like he's a dude reading for an audiobook of a romance novel.
Though he has no idea what "cooed" means... this is why I use it so much. Not in this chapter, but... You get the idea.

ANYWAY.
lots more to come.
And a lot more Summer Set. It'll all be them from now on.