‹ Prequel: This One's For You
Sequel: After All This Time
Status: All Done!!! Check out the next installment, though(:

Promise Me This

Twenty-One

Kate composed herself, and finished up her shift at the diner. At the English 10 class she assisted, the students sang to her, which nearly brought her to tears again. Like Jesse said, she was strong, and made it through. All she wanted to do was crawl into a hole, but instead, she returned to her apartment and changed into a pair of charcoal skinny jeans, black boots, and a white v-neck for the night. She then trudged to Jesse and Jay’s house after class let out, semi-curious as to what they were doing.

“Hey stranger, how you doing?” Jay asked, floating through the foyer. Her cyan eyes were filled with concern, and Kate looked down at her black boots instead.

“Good, I guess. What’s going on tonight, anyway? Jesse didn’t say much,” Kate said, looking back up as the subject was changed. Jay’s features twisted into a pout, and she crossed her arms, resting them on her baby bump.

“I’m not allowed to come,” she complained, just as her husband walked down the stairs, smiling.

“Damn right you aren’t. No pregnant ladies allowed,” he teased, bopping her on the nose with one of his fingertips. Her bottom lip jutted out farther, and even Kate couldn’t keep a straight face.

“Are you ever going to tell me where we’re going?” Kate asked, placing her hands on her hips, directing her golden-eyed gaze to her big brother. He ran his fingers through his raven hair, giving her a smile.

“Well, really, I thought you were the smart one here,” he joked, earning him a playful punch to his biceps.

“Says the accountant,” Kate muttered, holding her gaze steady. Jesse laughed, shaking his head.

“Point taken. But really, Katherine, it’s your 21st birthday. Think about it.” Two pairs of cerulean eyes watched her expectantly, and her eyes lit up as it hit her.

“Oh, I get it! I’m legal now.” She paused a moment, looking curiously at Jesse. “You’re taking your baby sister to a bar? Mom and Dad would be so proud.”

“Just go get in the car, before I change my mind.” He pushed her lightly in the direction of the door, giving Jay a peck on the lips before following her.

“But Jesse, it’s only four o’clock,” Kate objected, opening the passenger’s-side door. Jesse chuckled under his breath, buckling his gray seatbelt.

“That’s never really stopped anyone before.”

“Touché.”

The drive downtown was quiet mostly, aside from the upbeat trumpet blaring from the speakers. It made Kate grin a little; Ska music was a favorite of the siblings. They pulled up to the shabby looking building, and when they stepped inside, Kate’s eyes had to adjust to the dim light. There was a handful of people seated at the walnut countertop running nearly the length of the room in an ‘L’ shape. Two pool tables stood off to a side; a jukebox graced a corner, and some gambling machines near it. A man looking a year or two older than Kate was behind the counter, talking to one of the customers.

Some loud pop song drifted through the air as Jesse dragged her to the end of the bar. She hopped up onto one of the black and silver stools, fumbling with the hem of her shirt. Jesse caught the eye of the bronze-haired bartender, who nodded and made his way over. He smiled brilliantly at them, his eyes the color of storm clouds.

“What can I get for you?” he asked in a smooth, deep voice. Kate looked at Jesse, who rolled his eyes at her.

“It’s my sister’s 21st birthday—“

“In that case, I’ll start you with a complementary shot.” Before either could object, two small glass shot glasses were in front of them, filled with colorful liquor. Jesse touched his to Kate’s before giving her an encouraging smile. Both of them downed the liquid. Kate felt it burning down her throat, and her eyes watering a bit. For the first time in a while, it wasn’t because of her internal pain, and she didn’t mind at all.

“Thank you,” Jesse said, and the bartender nodded. “We’ll just start off with two beers.” He opened and set two amber bottles in front of them, the labels containing meaningless designs and logos. Kate looked unsure, grabbing hold of the ice-cold bottle.

“Cheers,” Jesse mumbled, clashing his drink with hers. The ‘ding’ echoed a bit, and Jesse took a swig. Kate followed suit, taking a pull of the sour liquid.

Kate had never touched alcohol in her life before, aside from the wine in church. In high school, they teased her about being goody-two-shoes, but it never bothered her. She had no desire to get wasted and try to hide it from her parents. This whole thing was new to her.

“How you holding up?” Jesse asked her, nearly three hours—and multiple beers—later. He walked around the pool table, handing her the stick. The barstools around them were filling up, and it was harder to hear with all of the people. Kate grasped the neck her bottle in one hand and the pool stick in the other.

“I’m doing good,” she reassured him, nodding and smiling. She honestly couldn’t remember half the reasons she had been so upset. Her mind was fuzzy around the edges, but it didn’t bother her in the least bit. She leaned over the green felt, aiming at the cue ball. The off white, speckled sphere shot out, hitting the solid yellow ball dead on, sending it into the side pocket.

“Damn, I don’t stand a chance,” Jesse teased, and she rolled her eyes playfully as she walked around to find her next shot. She paused, lifting the bottle to her lips and taking a small swig. She let it rest on top of the black change machine halfway up the dark wood-paneled walls.

“Three ball, left pocket,” Kate declared, motioning the intended trajectory with the mahogany stick. Jesse gave her a thumb up as he downed some more beer. She got ready, targeting the cue ball yet again with the chalk-blue tip of the pool stick. She pulled back and right as she was hitting, her eyes caught on the door and she miscued badly, resulting in the eight ball going in instead.

“What was that? Did you just let me win?” Jesse asked, laughing hysterically. Kate narrowed her eyes at him, quickly turning her back to the door. She pointed over her shoulder, and Jesse’s gaze followed. His eyes widened in shock as they landed on four young men, three brunettes and one a sandy blonde. They had yet to see Jesse or Kate.

“Do you want to leave?” he asked, a fierce protectiveness suddenly entering his voice. Kate hesitated, looking over her shoulder at James, Logan, Carlos, and Kendall. They were on the other side of the spacey room and counter, and hadn’t noticed her yet.

“No, I don’t think so. Can we just stay on this side?” She asked, a childish tone in her voice. Jesse gave a small smile, nodding.

“Yeah. Let’s go sit back down. Are you done with that beer yet? ‘Cause I’ll get you a real drink.”

“This isn’t a real drink?” she asked, waving the empty bottle in his face. He chuckled, shaking his head. Kate leaned back against the stool as Jesse waved the bartender back over. He had told them his name earlier in the night, but Kate couldn’t recall it. Jesse ordered some drink with a fancy name that Kate knew she wouldn’t remember in the morning.

She watched, as the short clear glass was set in front of her. Another was set in front of Jesse, but his was a tawny color, whereas hers was a variation of pink. It smelled fruity to her, and she stirred the ice around. Jesse set some more money up on the shiny countertop.

“So, you’re actually supposed to drink that,” he teased as Kate swirled it around a few more times.

“But it’s so pretty,” she objected, pointing at him with the green stir-stick. A chuckle escaped Jesse’s lips, and Kate glared at him.

“You’re so drunk. However, I’m being a bad influence and demanding you drink,” he said finally, and carefully took a sip from his glass. She wrinkled her nose, but instead of her usual sarcastic comment, she took a gulp from the cool glass. She was right, it was fruity. However, the strong taste of alcohol was what stung her tongue and throat.

Jesse was gnawing on an ice cube since his cup was empty, and the only a few drops of the rosy liquid remained in Kate’s. Jesse was about to order another for both of them when a movement across the bar caught Kate’s attention. Her golden eyes met with a set of jade ones, and held for a moment. She felt her mint nails dig into the flesh of Jesse’s bare forearm as Kendall got up from his stool.

“Jesse, go call a cab. I’m may highly intoxicated, but I know I don’t want you driving.” He opened his mouth to protest, but his eyes followed her gaze, and he nodded curtly.

“You sure you can handle this?” he mumbled, sliding his feet onto the gray linoleum floor. She gave a small nod, feeling all solace the liquor had given her slowly draining. Jesse walked out of the noisy bar to be able to hear, barely missing Kendall. Kate felt her eyes involuntarily squeeze shut.

“You okay?” the bronze haired bartender asked, his silver eyes clouded with concern. She opened her eyes, forcing a smile on her face.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just waiting for—“

“Kate?” Kendall’s voice said, a bit unsure. She didn’t blame him; it was the last place she’d expect to find herself.

“That,” she muttered to the bartender, who raised an eyebrow curiously. He walked away as someone shouted for him, and Kate hesitantly turned to face Kendall, sliding off of the barstool and onto her feet. She held the counter just incase.

“Happy Birthday, Kate.” Neither said a word, but the silence between them was the loudest thing in the room. "What are you doing here?” he asked nervously, and the awkward that had seeped into the air surrounding them.

“I could kinda ask you the same thing. I mean, I know you aren’t Disney or anything, but really? Big Time Rush at a bar?” she rambled, trying to fight the way her hands were shaking.

“Not my idea. I had a pretty rough couple of days, and we have off tomorrow, so the guys dragged me here,” he mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck. Kate nodded, feeling all of her anger and sadness flooding into her small body. She felt herself dying inside, having to look at him. So instead, she focused on the neon lights advertising different brands of beer.

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” she retorted, crossing her arms and looking for a glimpse of Jesse. Alcohol really did mess with your inhibitions. Sober Kate would not have sent Jesse away.

“Kate, I’m so sorry. Would you just look at me?” he pleaded, finally noticing her green-brown eyes were looking anywhere but at his face.

“I can’t. I can’t do this Kendall, not here,” she whispered, wishing that either the taxi would go faster, or her glass was magically not empty anymore.

“Kate, I—“

“No, Kendall, just stop. I gotta go. Tell the guys I say hi,” she muttered before shoving past him and out of the bar. Kendall saw the guys from across the bar, staring at him. He knew they’d been watching the whole time.

He couldn’t let her get away this time, but from the tinted window, he could see headlights leaving the full parking lot. Without even thinking about what he was doing, he pulled out his phone, dialing the all too familiar number.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, that was evil of me, to end it there! So, we have the final chapter of Promise Me This, but fear not, the info for the third part is already out. Lucky for all of us, you just have to follow that nifty little link in the top right corner(:

Thank you so much for all of your support during this story, and a special thanks to mynameislela17 and drivingbackwards for all of your comments. These two literally had a comment for every chapter.

mynameislela17, you always kept me going, even when I wasn't sure anyone was reading it. So thank you(:

drivingbackwards, your comments always made me laugh. They may have seemed scattered brained to you, and honestly, they might have been, but they always cheered me up, and gave me motivation to write more, just to see what you'd have to say about the next chapter.

I hope to have both of your support in the next part as well(:

And another thank you to everyone else who commented, you guys are so great to me, and I hope to see you speaking up more in the next part.

Make sure to tell me what you think of what just happened here, and subscribe and comment to After All This Time!!! I wanna know whose still following, and what you guys think will happen.

I really love all of you who stuck with me this far, and will continue to do so. I know this was me being overemotional and ramble-ish, but thanks if you read it.

xxxo, Sara