‹ Prequel: Opposites Attract
Status: Slowly updating. Sorry, guyz.

Falling Out of Line

three

I slung my new messenger bag onto my shoulder. I had wished my hair was still the naturally messy way that I had it, but unfortunately Cory attacked it the minute he saw me this morning. Now my brown hair was straight and shiny, falling just at the start of my chin. My new uniform was a stuffy navy blue blazer, matching pants, dark red tie, and white button-up shirt. Luckily they allowed us to wear sneakers, so I had on my pair of Converse. They were old and beat-up, but I would rather wear those than dress shoes or expensive gym shoes.

I sighed as Cory and Sean were beaming at me. I was just going to high school, not receiving my diploma. Even though we had all known each other for a short time, they treated me like a regular kid. They didn't treat me differently because I was adopted or new to suburbia, they just did their best to accept me. I know I'm making a big deal out of this, but this was new to me. Years of being the orphan or the outcast were over now, or at least I hoped that they were. I still had to face people at my new school. I wonder what they'll think of me.

"I made you lunch." Cory grinned and handed me a black lunch bag.
I looked up at him, holding the bag between my thumb and pointer finger, giving him a look of disbelief. "Are you serious?"
He frowned. "Oh, are you too old for bag lunches? Maybe I should just give you some lunch money."
"No no, it's fine, just a little..." I took the bag in both hands. "Unexpected."
"Sorry, I just thought it would be better than the school lunch, but I guess I wasn't thinking about how age-appropriate it was."
"It's fine, really. I really appreciate this. You guys are acting like real parents." They looked at each other, looking somewhat disappointed. "What? What did I say?"
"Nothing." Cory smiled.
"It's just that-" Sean started.
"We don't want to seem-"
"Like we're trying too hard-"
"To be a real family." Cory finished.
"Oh," I shook my head. "I didn't mean to-"
"It's okay." Cory said.
"No, I'm sorry. You guys have been really nice to me, the best family I've ever stayed with. I just didn't know we were trying to make this feel like a real family. Really, the whole illusion of a happy family has been ruined for me a long time ago - we don't have to pretend."
"We don't want to pretend. It's just hard to figure out what is right and what is wrong."
"What Cory means is," Sean looked at me. "we don't want to make you feel unwelcome."
"Are you kidding me? I've been accepted since the moment I got here. If anything, I feel a little too welcomed. Why are you treating me so nicely?"
"We aren't giving you any special treatment. We're just doing what we would normally do if we had a child." Sean wrapped his arm around Cory who leaned into his hug.
I couldn't help but ask this again: "Why did you guys adopt me? No seriously, I would think you would want a baby or something and get the whole experience."
Sean smiled. "Maybe once you leave. Like we said, we thought you deserved another chance."

I looked at them. I knew I would never understand them very well, so I just smiled, put my lunch in my messenger bag, and headed out the door. They wanted to drive me to school, but figured that would be babying me, so instead I chose to walk there. However, they are still going to ride in the car next to me.I told them that didn't make any sense whatsoever, but Cory just gave me this look where it's like he's apologizing but he didn't do anything wrong, so then you feel guilty and just give in anyway. So right now they are climbing into the car. I shook my head and started walking. They were an odd couple - I told you from the start.

Walking out of the cul-de-sac, I noticed the houses only got nicer along the way. I was amazed that I now belonged to such an amazing neighborhood, in comparison to every other place I've ever lived at. There was one home that I really liked. It was a nice medium-sized house, white and perfect with a well-kept lawn, a garden and a porch-swing, with the sprinklers running often. My foster parents were a busy couple, always off at work. I mostly stayed at home with my foster brother and sister. They hated me. Even though the parents were rarely home to pay attention to any of us, my siblings still thought I was taking attention away from them. They made it their goal to show me I wasn't welcome, and to get me out of their family.

"HEY!"

A shout broke me from my memories. I looked back and saw a boy in the same Cranbrook uniform running frantically towards me. I stood in my place, somewhat scared at how eager this boy was to meet up with me considering I had never met him before. He finally caught up with me, him stopping at the same time Sean and Cory's car did.

"Hey, I see you're going to Cranbrook, too!" He exclaimed. I nodded slowly. "Awesome, I'm Lewis. Are you new to Cranbrook? You probably are seeing as I've never seen you before, not like I know everybody at Cranbrook, but I know most of the students and recognize a few names and faces and I've never seen you before." He stuck out his hand.
I shook his hand. "Right, I'm new, hi. I'm Tyler, and you said your name was-"
"Lewis. Nice to meet you."
"Same here." I think.

I started walking again and he followed me. I looked over to him.

"Sorry, are you... are you gonna walk with me the whole way?"
"Well we are going to the same school."
"Right, sorry." I said, looking over to my foster parents car. They waved at me before driving away, probably assuming I didn't need an escort now that I had a friend. I waved slightly before Lewis turned back to me.
"If you want, I can show you around. The school's pretty big, and you might get lost."
"Uh, thanks."
It was quiet for about four seconds before he started up again.
"So, where are you from?"
"I'm-" I started. Should I tell people I was adopted? I didn't want to be alienated again. This was my new start, my last chance. "-from out of town." I lied.
"Oh cool. I've never lived anywhere but here. It gets kinda boring. So I fill the time with talking, or at least that's what my mom says. I talk a lot, but it's not because I'm bored or that I like to hear my own voice - I'm not a narcissist."
"Okay..." I said as soon as he took a break. "So why do you talk so much?"
"I get nervous. I don't exactly fit in at school, or well anywhere really. I try to talk to people but my mouth moves so fast that I don't even realize what I'm saying, and I just end up scaring people off."

I felt for him. I knew his pain - I was a people-repellant myself. I was sure his constant babble would get annoying eventually, but since I wasn't one to talk much anyway, maybe it would work out well.

"Well, I'm not scared by you."
He looked up at me, shocked. "Really?"
"Yeah. I understand - I'm not good with people either. I don't know why, but I've never really fit in anywhere either. That's how I ended up coming here. I'm hoping - new place, new school, new people. I just want to enjoy my senior year."
"Wow. I didn't think anybody would understand."
"Everybody wants to fit in. We just really suck at it. It's not our fault - we're just born that way."
His gaze on me changed to something unfamiliar. I raised an eyebrow, but he just turned away and looked ahead.
"Oh hey, here's the school." He pointed up the block.

Cranbrook Academy. It looked HUGE. I was DEFINITELY going to get lost here. It was a big red bricked building, taking up nearly a block on it's own. White pillars framed the entrance, and above it, an engraved phrase in Latin. The building reached up to the clear blue sky, looking that much more important and intimidating.

"You have got to be shitting me." I said, nearly dropping my bag.
"Nope. That's Cranbrook, in all it's superficial glory." He sighed before looking over to me. "Don't worry. They probably won't eat you alive."
"Probably?" My eyes widened.
"Well you can get past the teachers as long as you don't stand out. It's the students you have to worry about. If they like you, great. If not, well... let's just hope you won't be stuck hanging out with me all year, for your sake."

I looked down at him, feeling even more sad for him than I did before. But he ignored my look and instead, walked toward the school as if he hadn't said something totally depressing on his part. Lewis was a strange creature, and I wasn't sure how this new friendship, if it was a friendship, was going to go.

I sighed, pulled the strap of my bag up on my shoulder, and walked into my new school.

I was instantly bombarded with glances and stares. Wow, Lewis wasn't kidding - maybe he really did know everybody here, since everybody seemed to realize that I wasn't a regular here.

I walked down the hallway, feeling slightly more nervous with each step. Could they sense that I was an outcast? Was it my destiny to be rejected?

"Mmph." I slammed into someone.

Next time, look where you're going so you don't look like a complete idiot on your first day at school.

I fell flat on my butt, as well as whoever I knocked into. I mumbled an apology while picking up the papers that had dropped when the person fell.
"It's okay." A female voice said.

I looked up and saw a girl with black hair and stunning green eyes staring back at me. She smiled, picking up the rest of the papers. I handed her my stack of papers before standing up to help her up. She grabbed my wrist and pulled herself up, stuffing her papers back into her folder and sticking it in her bag.

"I'm Tyler." I said.
"Cambree. You knew here?"
"Is it that obvious?"
"A little bit. You look like a lost puppy. That and everyone knows everyone here. The benefits of living in a suburban town."
I ran a hand through my hair, looking around the hall. Everyone's eyes were still glued to me.
"So when does the lost puppy look wear off?"
"When you find a group that you belong to. Then you get to have a whole new facial expression. I honestly hope you wind up in my group - you get to sneer at the popular kids and pretend they are the social lepers. It's really fun actually."
"Cool," I laughed. "What group are you in?"
"The cool nerds, unofficially."
"Cool nerds?"
"A contradiction, I know. But we are actually cooler than the uncool nerds. We have our own jackets and get to act like hipsters and everyone hates us because we don't care if everyone hates us. The uncool nerds just lock themselves in the library and play with computers all day. But we all love to role-play." She winked at me.
I loved this girl. "Do you think I could cut it as a cool nerd?"
"Hmm... I dunno. You seem a little too cool to be a nerd, but you've got the whole uncoordinated part down."
"Thanks, I think."
"Of course. See you around, Tyler." She waved before running off behind me.

Well, this place certainly has some interesting people.

I kept walking, desperately trying to ignore the stares that followed me. Looking at the map of the school I had been mailed, I realized I would be hopelessly lost unless I asked for directions. But who could I ask that wouldn't eat me alive? I settled on trying to find Lewis. I had no idea where he was since he walked so far ahead of me, but my bet was I would be able to find his voice. After listening very hard in the crowded hallways, I was proven correct. I heard his voice in one of the classrooms coming up on my left. I stepped in and saw him chatting with another guy.

"Hey Lewis, I was wondering where you-"

His eyes widened and he ran to pull me into the classroom, grabbing me by my blazer. He shut the door behind me and let go of my blazer. I stumbled, nearly falling backwards but I caught myself. I glared at him.

"What is your problem?!"
"My problem?! Are you trying to become an outcast before you even meet anybody?!" He whisper-yelled at me.
"What are you talking about?"
He sighed. "I told you, I don't fit in anywhere. I'm a major outcast here. The worst thing you can be at this school is an outcast. Even if you belong to a lame group like the chess club, at least you belong. I'm looked down upon. If you're caught talking to me, or even looking at me, you'll be avoided like the plague."
"Wait, you're serious?" He nodded, as well as his friend. "Well I'm not gonna ditch you just so I can be popular."
"I thought you wanted to fit in."
"If I can make at least one friend here, then I've already found a place where I fit in."

He stared at me, first in what I assume was disbelief, then in expectancy. I'm guessing he wanted me to call him his friend, but I'm not sure if we're even that close yet. However, considering he was willing to set me free so I could have a social life at this school, I have to say he's a pretty cool guy. So I told him that. He scoffed.

"Me? No, I'm not cool."
"You were willing to give me a chance at belonging even though you want it just as much as I do, maybe even more. That's cool in my book."
He looked down in embarrassment. His friend looked at me, then back at Lewis, then grinned.
"We haven't met yet. I'm Naran. I'm in the same lame boat as Lewis is. Nice to meet you."
I nodded. "I'm Tyler."
Lewis finally looked back up and sighed. "I can't believe I was the one to meet you first, Tyler. A nice guy like you will get snatched up in no time."
"Somehow I doubt that. But I did meet another girl. Cambree - she's a cool nerd, apparently."
"Oh, you met Cambree? She's amazing. We don't really talk much, but she isn't mean to me like everyone else and sometimes her group sits by us at lunch. I bet it's great to be a cool nerd - you can be as cool as you want in your own mind."
"You can be cool too. Why don't you start your own group?"
"With just me and Naran?"
"And me, I guess. Maybe soon people will want to join your group."
"Oh no, I am not letting you commit social suicide like that. You'll find your own group if it kills me."
I rolled my eyes. Lewis was determined, wasn't he? He and his friend walked over to me.
"Anyway, I was looking for you because I am completely lost and I need your help navigating this place."
"Well I can tell you where stuff is-"
"No, I suck at directions. Can't you just show me where it all is?"

He hesitated but his friend nudged him with his elbow. They had a silent battle before Lewis looked at me and nodded. I grinned. This was my secret way of getting him to stay by my side. I wasn't sure if I really would be accepted by any of the groups here, but I might not mind being an outcast if the other outcasts liked me. I wanted Lewis to feel accepted, too.

He and Naran grabbed their backpacks and led the way out of the room. Immediately the stares were back, but I didn't care this time. I stood between Lewis and Naran and threw my arms around their shoulders.

"I wonder what they're all staring at." I said sarcastically.
Naran laughed. I looked at Lewis but he quickly turned his head away from me. Such a strange kid.

We wound up at a door that read 'Main Office'. Lewis turned to me. "You'll need to check in here to get your schedule and everything. We'll uh... wait out here I guess."
"Okay." I went in and stood at the front desk. The woman looked me up and down before turning around, grabbing something behind her, then turning back to me and handing me some papers and a pen. I looked at her confused.
"You're a new student, right?"
I sighed. Why is that so fucking obvious? I nodded. She laid two of the papers in front of me and had me sign them. The third paper was my schedule, and the fourth was a notice about a PTA meeting coming up. I said thank you and tucked the flyer in my pocket before walking back out not two minutes later.

Lewis and Naran had been talked but stopped abruptly when they saw me. I blinked but Naran just snatched my schedule out my hand.

"Oh cool, you have science, history, and lunch with us. Sit with us?"
"Sure."
"Naran..." Lewis hit him in the arm but he wasn't fazed. Naran continued "We sit at the far right table at the end of the lunch line."
"Okay. Hey, where's room 121?"
"It's down the hall on the right. It's homeroom, and it should begin right... now." He said just as the bell rang.
"Whoa, cool."
"Naran has the bell schedule completely memorized. He's weird like that." Lewis glared at him.
"Weird doesn't even begin to describe me, precious."
I raised my eyes at the 'precious' pet name, but Naran just smiled and walked off down the hall. I turned to Lewis.
"Well, I'll see you later, Tyler."
"See you later, Lewis." He ran down the hall in the same direction as Naran.

I found myself running as well after a minute because 'right down the hall' was really at the very end of a very long hallway. Naran was such a send-off. I burst into the room just as the late bell rang. The teacher looked up at me, some students began to snicker. The teacher looked down at his clipboard, then back up at me.

"Mr. Barnes-McLean, I assume?"
"Uh... yeah." I said, barely remembering my new last name.
"Well then, find a seat and try not to interrupt." He said before pointing to a list of rules written on the chalkboard behind him.

My eyes scanned the room, finding all of the seats filled except for one by the window. I walked to the last column, middle row, and sat at the desk surrounded by females. They all stared at me, judgingly. Great, four more girls who'll never date me. I sank down in my seat and tried to listen to the teacher rattle off the rules. A minute later, the girl who sat directly behind me tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and looked at her. She was a cute blonde with pigtails, heavy mascara and lip-gloss. She had taken off her blazer, and her breasts were fighting to get out of her blouse. I tried not to stare as she tugged on a tie that laid directly above her chest.

"You're cute, did you know that?"
"Kaitlyn, you can't just tell random boys that they're cute!" A brunette that sat to my right exclaimed.
"Why not? He is. I'm sure he won't get a big ego over it, will you?" She looked at me.
"Uh... no?"
"See? He's humble. And cute. Are you smart, too?"
"I guess."
"So humble. What's your name?"
"Tyler."
"Tyler, that's a cute name." The blonde in front of me chimed in.
"Thanks?"
"Are you new here, Tyler? Wait, scratch that, of course you're new because I definitely would've recognized a cute face like yours before." Pigtails said.
"Wait, are you flirting with me?" I asked stupidly.
All four girls looked at each other then laughed. I sank even lower into my seat.
"Ladies, and Tyler, do you mind keeping quite while I try to explain the rules?"
"Oh Mr. Lansley, we've already heard these rules before - no fighting, no swearing, no eating food in class? Isn't it time for an update?" Pigtails said innocently.
"These rules have been in effect since the founding of this school."
"Like I said, isn't it time for an update?"
He grumbled. "Just keep quiet." He growled before walking back over to his desk.
The girls laughed again before turning their attention back to me.
"So where are you from?"
"Do you know anybody yet?"
"Where do you live now?"
"Do you like it here so far?"

They bombarded me with questions. I tried my best to answer them, keeping up with the whole "I'm from out of town" facade. I wasn't sure why they were being so nice to me, but I felt like I should be cautious of them.

After about a million questions later, the bell rang. I jumped up, grabbing my bag.

"Well, I gotta go ladies. See you later."
"Bye, Tyler." They all chimed in at the same time.

That was creepy as fuck.

I tried not to shiver as I smiled and ran out of the classroom, nearly crashing into someone.

"Sorry." I apologized for the second time today.
"You were trying to get away from Kaitlyn and them - I don't blame you." He said. "I'm Jacob. You ever need rescuing from them, you let me know, okay?"
"Okay." I nodded. He left.

Wow. I went from having no friends to having potentially eight new friends.

I think I'm gonna like Cranbrook Academy.
♠ ♠ ♠
New update!! This chapter just flowed out of me, so I guess that means my writer's block is gone. Yay! Please comment and tell me what you think so far.

Poll: Who's your favorite character(s) so far? (I'm adding Naran to the character list)

BTW, I would really appreciate it if you would check out my blog. I should warn you, it's kinda emo, but you don't have to read it if you don't want to :)

Imperfecktion

Comment/Subscribe = <3