Gunslinger

Ch.2

Brian grunted as he punched the cold concrete wall of the abandoned hotel that he now called home. He didn’t even wince when the rough surface scraped and busted his knuckles. He had learned that no physical pain would ever amount to the pain that constantly consumed his heart.
He threw down his gun and slung it off his tattered jacket. The cool chill of the air instantly cooled his warm flesh. He grinded his teeth as she walked into the living room where he had placed a small mattress. He wanted to sleep. Sleeping was the only escape he had left and he used it as much as possible.
When he collapsed on the worn-out mattress his muscles instantly relaxed. His eyes closed and he was greeted by the sweetest memory he had.

**Flashback**

“Come on, baby, you can do it.” Brian encouraged sweetly. Mercedes shook her head as she hugged the rope to her small body.
“I can’t.” She protested staring down at him. It was no more that a fifteen foot drop to the water, but she was deathly afraid of drowning so to her it was a lot more than fifteen feet. Brian shook his head and smiled sweetly. Mercedes looked like a dream up there in her purple and pink bikini that matched her bright pink hair.
“Yes you can. Come on, I’m down here nothing’s gonna happen to you.” His sweet words soaked through her body making her feel suddenly at ease. She nodded and swung off of the rope and into the water.
When she emerged, Brian had his arms wrapped around her small waist and a wide grin on his strong face. She smiled and hugged into him trying to catch her breath.
“See, I told you nothing would happen to you.” He teased as he kissed her forehead lightly.
“Well, it’s only because you’re here.” She defended much like a five year old would. He nodded and swam around in a full, small circle.
“I’ll always be here.”

**End of Flashback**

Brian pulled away from the memory and forced himself to think about something else. He had promised her that he would always be there for her. That nothing would ever happen to her. It was a promise that he hadn’t been able to keep and that killed him faster than any wound or war could.