Headfirst For Halos

Cellular Device

A very familiar buzzing sound filled my ears, causing my eyes to flash open and to be lost in the total darkness of my room. I located the buzzing noise, seeing my phone was vibrating on my night stand, I had a call. Who the hell calls me in the middle of the night?

“Hello?” I said groggily after accepting the call.

“Brit?” Came a male’s voice I knew very well.

I sighed and looked at the time on my phone display, it was ten after one in the morning. “Yes Gerard? What’s going on?” A million possibilities raced through my head, I tended to think the worst in all possible situations, and that proved to be one of my weak points. I hoped he had only been drinking and was just calling because his intoxicated mind thought it would be a good idea.

“I wanted…..” there was a short pause, I thought I heard something like wind on the other end of the phone conversation. “ to say good bye.” he said.

“Why? Where are you going?”

Another pause. “Hell?”

I sighed getting slightly frustrated. “Gerard, stop trying to be funny, what are you talking about?”

“I’m not being funny!” he said loudly into the phone, “I’m at the bridge, and I’m going to do it Brit, just like I planned, I wanted to say bye! So good fucking bye!” his words were slightly slurred.

“No Gerard!” I growled, getting out of bed and slipping on jeans. “ You are not-” but the call ended, he had hung up. “Shit!” I cursed, pulling on a hoodie and finding my shoes. Why did he have to do this?

I got my window open, crawled out onto the roof ledge to the porch and closed it, searching for a safe way to the ground that would not cause me to break my neck. My best solution was to just hang and drop, and that’s what I did. It was a rough tumble, but I made it and soon was jogging down the street. I tried calling his cell again, but no answer. I was never much of a runner, but given the right circumstance, I covered more street than a hooker in rubber did all night.

I spotted the river in the distance, and bridge hanging over it, I got closer and I saw an outline of a male’s body in black clothing, standing against the rail.

“Gerard!” I jogged up to him, a little breathless. “Home, now!”

He looked at me, and just one look into his eyes, I could tell he had been drinking, just a smell of him could prove that too.

“No.” he said, staring down into the rolling river, the fall may not kill a person, but it would injure.

“Gerard, let’s just go, please?” I asked, practically begging. “You don’t really want to do this!”

His head snapped back to glare at me. “Why don’t I Brittany? I’ve got nothing, I have no one, no one would give a shit if I did!”

“I would!” I grabbed his arm. “Gerard you know I would, and Mikey, and your friends, we care about you!”

“The fuck you do, you all hardly pay attention to me, it’s like I don’t exist!”

Tears threatened to spill down my cheeks, but I bit my lip and kept them in. Crying was a visible weakness, and showing people that was just not my thing. “Gerard….it is your own doing! You push us all away, please get off of there and I’ll take you home.” I reached out and touched his arm, trying to get him to listen to me. “Let’s go home Gerard, we can talk in the morning.”

I watched his mouth open several times but no words came out. His eyes glared down at me, he looked angry, but slowly he climbed back over the edge, I kept a good grip on his arm just in case, even though I doubted I could hold onto him if he fell. Once he was on the safer side of the bridge, my arms found his waist and I hugged him tight. His arms didn’t touch me, and I didn’t expect them to, he was drunk after all.

The walk to his house wasn’t very far, but it seemed like forever thanks to the silence between us. We took the cement steps down to the basement of his house so his parent’s wouldn’t be woken up and soon we were in his room.

“I need to go.” I said as he flopped down on his bed. “Please get some sleep Gerard you need to-”

“Brit.” he interrupted me. “Don’t go, stay?” he asked softly, his tone almost made me believe he wasn’t intoxicated, but I knew better.

“I have school in the morning, work in the afternoon Gerard I can’t just-”

“Please? Fuck school, you don’t need to go.”

I sighed and looked at his alarm clock, it was nearly three. “I have to Gerard.”

He just shook his head and reached out , taking my hand and tugging me down on the bed. “It’s late, stay the night, go to school.”

If I hadn’t have been so tired, I would have told him no and simply left. But it was the middle of the night, and I really didn’t want to argue. So I agreed, and soon found myself curled up in Gerard’s bed next to him. His bed had always been one of my favorite places to sleep, and I was falling asleep faster than I expected. The last thing I remembered before slipping into unconsciousness was soft lips pressing against my own, with the oh so familiar smell of liquor.

~X~

The beautiful thing about cellular devices is that they have a pretty little feature called an alarm clock. Without that feature, I would have never woken up to it ringing in my pocket. I slapped the little button and got it to stop ringing, and wiggled my way out of Gerard’s arms. Shit….I had no clothes to wear!

“Gerard?” I nudged his chest with my hand, but he didn’t stir from sleep. “Gerard!” I shook him, but I only received an inaudible groan and he rolled over. “Fuck.” I cursed and jogged upstairs to Mikey’s room, throwing the door open to find a very shocked Mikey Way standing in front of his closet with just a towel around his waist, from assumably just showering.

“Hey!” he yelped, making sure his towel was secure. “Brit why the hell are you at my house at 6 in the morning?!”

“I’ve been here since 3.” I yawned, knowing that wouldn‘t phase him. “I need to borrow your tripp shorts.”

“The ones with the chains?”

I rolled my eyes. “Nope, the ones with the ponies Mikey.”

He went to look in his closet then jerked his head back my direction. “Ha ha , very funny.” he glared and tossed me the tripp shorts. “Do you need a shirt too?”

I shook my head. “I’ll steal one from Gerard, thanks Mikes!” I smiled and went down to Gerard’s room to change, putting on the shorts, thankful that Mikey had a small waist. I fished in Gerard’s closet for a band tee and brushed my hair in his mirror, and used his eyeliner stick, something I haven’t seen him use in a long time.

~X~

“Excuse me? No cell phones in my class.”

I nearly jumped out of my desk at the female voice speaking above me. I looked up to see Miss Mord standing in front of my desk, one hand on her hip, the other outstretched and palm open.

“Hand it over.” she said.

I looked down at my phone, in which I was half way through a long text reply to Gerard. I was not giving my phone over, I gave my phone to no one, and I damn sure wasn’t giving it over to the new teacher.

“I don’t think I want to give you it, sorry.” I said with something one might call an attitude, and I slipped into my pocket. I wasn’t usually rude, but little sleep and dealing with Gerard could make the nicest person snap like a cobra.

Her expression didn’t change, but Frank sitting next to me smirked and every set of eyes in the room were now staring. “Give the phone to me, or I can assign you a detention, your choice.”

“Fine.” I glared at her, taking the battery out of my phone and handing it to her, she walked back up to the front of the room, placing the phone in one of her desk drawers. Frank poked me in the ribs. “Told you she was evil, now do you believe that she tried to kill me?”

“Iero.” I sighed and turned to him. “Shut up!”

So instead of sitting in class, ignoring what the teacher had to say about Shakespeare’s works and texting a very hungover depressed Gerard, I actually had to sit there and listen to information I knew plenty about. I waited until class was over, forcing Frank to leave without me, I walked up to her desk.

“I need my phone back.” I said in a bored tone, it was never good to sound needy or begging to a teacher, you should never let them think they got the best of you. Her gaze shifted from the stack of essays on the desk to me. I noticed her eyes were a deep brown, and didn’t look annoyed like I was sure mine did.

“I’m sure you do.” she said, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear. “And I’m sure whatever you needed it for could have waited until after class was over.”

I opened my mouth to speak, to say that no, talking someone out of suicide really wasn’t something that could wait, but I didn’t tell her that. She didn’t need to know my business, and I wasn’t going to willingly tell her any of it.

“Actually, it wasn’t going to wait, and it’s nothing that concerns you, so I’d like my phone back.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly and she reached into the drawer, and handed me my phone. “An hour of detention is what you will owe me, and I expect it served tomorrow afternoon.”

Once again I wanted to say more, but I just took the phone back and nodded, leaving the room quickly. Great two detentions in two days.