Opposition

The new path

As I stood with my friends I realized that there is one more thing I must do. I must leave this place and follow a new path.

"We will help you," my friends told me. "We will lead you away from here."

"Thank you," I told them

We started the trek back into the forest and followed the path back to its origins.

The light faded as we walked into the forest heading back. I struggled a little to keep going but my friends were behind me, encouraging me, helping me every step of the way

There was a little whisper in my head. I could hear it in the back of my mind. I ignored it not wanting to hear what it had to say. I was with my friends: what could be more important than that?

I stumbled over a log that seemed to appear in the path. I fell on to my knees, I stared in wonder how did it get there? It was not there when I was walking down the path before.

My friends stopped and pulled me up off the ground and encouraged me to go forward, so I did.

All of a sudden, I felt like I was climbing a hill. It did not make sense to me. The path I had taken had been flat and easy to navigate and follow. Why was it so hard taking the path to back to where it started?

Suddenly my legs felt weak. The struggle to climb was to much to take and I fell over gasping for breath. I felt like I ran a marathon, but I was just taking a stroll in the forest. Why was this so difficult?

My friends grabbed my hand and pulled me up and gave me a reassuring smile. It was going to be alright.

I found strength to start walking forward. I was not going to let my friends down when they had come so far to rescue me.

As I continued, it seemed like I was climbing a mountain. I looked at my friends and studied each and every one of them. They did not seem to be out of breath or struggling at all. They looked at me with a smile encouraging me to keep going.

I smiled back and told myself I would not let them down, I would not give up on them when they came so far to save me.

As the walk seemed to go on for an eternity, I looked up and saw the sun shining through. I noticed birds singing and flying around happily.

There was a clearing ahead and I knew that's where the path I took started and where my destination lies. I tried to run toward it but stumbled and fell

My friends picked me back up and I tried again only going slower. Making progress. The last stretch seemed like an eternity, my mind was racing and doubt coming over me. What if I failed? What would they think of me if I made it this far and could not continue?

I shook my head dismissing the thoughts they would not let me fall after making it so far. I struggled and my legs were screaming at me to stop and give up, but I would not allow it.

I made it to the top and stepped out into the sunlight. It was shining bright and it was warm and felt wonderful.

My friends stood around me smiling at me and cheering.

I smiled back at them and was so happy to be around them. I embraced them all and thanked them for being there for me when I needed them most.

When the time came for us to depart for a while I smiled and followed the path heading toward the setting sun. I did not know where the path would take me but I knew somewhere down the line my friends would be there and we would all be together again.

I continued walking alone thinking of all the great times we had and how many more we might have in the future. As I walked I couldn’t help but notice a tiny voice in the back of my mind; a tiny but seductive voice that whispered to me.

"You're alone." It slowly whispered "You're nothing. you are making a mistake. what will you do when your friends cannot and will not be there for you?"

I shook my head dismissing the voice and smiled, and thinking of my friends. The voice lingered there whispering to me keeping me company, filling my head with thoughts of sorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
I felt like adding closure to the story with this chapter. I'm still working on getting better at writing so dont critisicze me to heavily for this story. I am trying to slowly improve and get better. Thanks for your comments and help I really appercaite it. :)