Livin' on the Edge

Flanery Advice

Sean pulled up to my house as I let a loud yawn slip through my lips. He chuckled lightly as I undid my seatbelt. It may be funny to him, but I was excrutiatingly exhausted. I had been working over time at the emergancy room for the last three days. I stretched as far as I could go before reaching toward Sean to say my goodbyes. He pulled me into a strong hug and I kissed him gently on the cheek. When I pulled away I laced my fingers tightly around my coffee cup.

"I'll see you later, Sean."I smiled."I'm in desperate need for a nap. Thankyou for the coffee."

"No problem, Doc."He winked."I'll see you later."

I pushed open his door and searched my black scrubs for my house keys. I waved him off when I got to my front door. I quickly unlocked my door and stepped inside. I was greeted my the cool air from my air conditioning and let out a long, relaxed sigh. I stole a swig of my coffee before walking to my answering machine. The small light on top was blinking continuously, telling me I one or multiple missed messages. I smiled before saying, "Well, someone loves me."

I pressed play and kicked off my slip on shoes. I sat at my island counter and waited for the machine to play my messages. I leaned back in my seat and tried to relax. I was happy to know that I had the weekend off. My boss granted me the free days after he noticed the large amount of hours I had put in for the week. If that was all it took then I would do over time more often. I was snapped from my thoughts when I heard my mom's voice filter into the room.

Hey sweetheart, it's me. Long time no see, huh? Hey, when you get the chance give me a call back. I have a big favor to ask you. Love you!

I walked to the machine and erased the quick message. I picked up the phone and dialed her back. My mom and dad never asked me for favors, so I was automatically curious as to what they would need. It rang only a few times before she picked up.

"Hey mom."I smiled."What's up?"

Nothing much. How's work been? I know it's like your second home.

"Oh, yeah."I chuckled."Very busy. Jerry gave me the weekend off though. The last three days I've been doing major over time."

Well, at least the check will be nice.

"That's all I look forward to anymore."I said."What's the favor you had to ask me?"

That was my next question. Mine and dad's anniversary is this weekend. We were wondering if you would be able to watch Terry from Friday night until Monday morning? We'd ask Beatrice, but we always ask her.

I let my head fall back and wiped a heavy hand down my face. I wanted to relax the weekend away, but now I wouldn't be able too. It had been a long time since I had been home, so I knew I wasn't eligable to decline her favor.

"I can do that."I said."Where are you going?"

Don't kill us, but we're going to Ireland.

"Did I mention that Terry is able to stay home alone? Take me with you. I promise it'll be like I'm not even there!"I laughed.

My mom gave a quiet chuckle as well before continuing on.

You and I both know she can't do that.

I could suddenly hear yelling in the background while I was speaking with my mother. I arched my eyebrows in confusion and asked, "Is that Terry?"

My mom let out an aggrivated sigh before mumbling something incoherent.

Yeah, hold on. She wants to speak with you.

I heard my mom pass over the phone and threaten Terry to be nice. When she got onto the phone, the tone of her voice was everything but nice.

You don't have to come. I know you don't want to anyway.

"What are you talking about? Of course I -"I was quickly cut off by my enraged sister.

No you don't! You missed my birthday last month! I don't want you to come, Halle.

"I was on a tight shift, Terry. I already apologized for that. I even sent you a birthday card! We'll have fun, I promise. Just like we used to, remember?"I sighed.

Oh, yeah. Twenty dollar gift card to Justice. I'm not a kid anymore, Halle. I don't need you.

I choked back on my breath at Terry's last statement. I don't blame her for being angry; I would be as well if the roles were switched. I felt my eyes well up in warm, salty tears rather quickly. I heard my mom yelling on the other end of the line before the phone fumbled into her hands.

Halle, are you okay? I'm sorry. She's upset. She'll be better when you get here, I promise.

"I'm okay. I have to go, mom. I'll see you on Friday. I should be there around five. I love you."I wiped at my eyes and hung up my phone.

I choked out a quiet sigh as I put the phone back in the reciever. Terry and I used to be so close, but once I moved out our relationship started to make a downfall. It was my fault. I wasn't denying that. I didn't mean to stay away so often, but my job called for it. Even North Carolina's hospitals would get packed at some point. I calmed myself down after a few minutes and promised myself that the weekend would be fun. I'd take Terry out to a movie and throw some bowling into the mix. Terry and I used to bowl all of the time. I threw the rest of my coffee down my throat and tossed out the empty cup.

I'd figured after changing into my comfortable pajamas I'd give Sean a call. He was my only best friend and was fantastic when I needed special advice. He was my free therapist. I had only known him a little over a year, but we had become so close. I met him when he first started working at the hospital as a Doctor. Ever since I was assigned his nurse for the day we never stopped talking. After I finally got relaxed, I sat down on my couch with the phone attached to my ear. I let my smile come to life when Sean picked up the phone.

Miss me already?

I chuckled quietly before saying, "Of course."

What's going on, Halle?

"I actually need some Flanery advice."I sighed softly.

Hit me.

Within a few minutes, I had explained to Sean exactly what had happened. He knew that my sister and I used to be the best of friends, that is until I moved away. I didn't live far, but I never had the time to stop by and say hello. He let out a low whistle when I finished telling him what happened.

"We used to be so close. I don't know how it's going to go when I get there."I frowned.

Well, I can tell you one thing. She'll get over it. I mean, she's thirteen. What did you expect out of her? If you guys were really close, she'll come around soon. She's just pissed off at the world at that age. Terry knows you love her and she's not going to forget. Take her out or something.

"True."I chuckled."I was actually going to take her to see a movie. Maybe do some bowling. Watch horror movies all night. Just like we used to do."

See. You're doing the right thing right there. You didn't need my advice. You had that shit down pat before you called me. I know. You just wanted to hear my sexy voice.

"You caught me."I laughed.

Sean and I carried the conversation on for a few more minutes before we hung up. Sean was exactly right - Terry would be fine with me within a few hours of being home again. I had no reason to worry about whether or not she would forgive me. She knows very well how much I love her. Terry is my sister; we would be perfectly fine. I sprawled out on the couch and yawned lightly. Sleep was my best bet now. I had work at five tomorrow morning.

"Is the weekend here yet?"I groaned.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story. :D
I have it finished on paper.
Six more chapters and it's over XD
Don't worry,
things get violent soon.
Hope you like my favourite guys in one story!