Livin' on the Edge

Paranoid

Friday had come fairly quick. I had been home for nearly twenty minutes, which allowed me to pack a few pairs of clothes for the weekend. I considered changing out of my scrubs before I let, but I was feeling rather lazy. It was when I spotted a few blood stains on my light clothes that I went through with my idea. I eventually slipped into jeans and a tank top before pulling my bag over my shoulder. I went out to my car and threw it into my back seat. It was only a few minutes before I was heading toward my parents house. I was certainly thankful that they only lived about ten minutes away.

I was nearly half way there when I noticed a small silver Honda civic riding close on my rear end. Out of curetesy I turned into the slow lane, allowing him to pass me up. Yet instead of driving passed me at an obnoxious speed, they only followed close behind. I waited another minute or so before turning back into the lane I was in. Again, the Honda Civic followed closely behind me. I dug my hand into my pocket and retrieved my cell phone. I dialed my dad and put him on speaker phone. I followed back into the slow lane and took the next right toward their house. The Civic stayed right behind me, which made me weery.

What's up, Halle?

"I should be there in a minute, but I think someone is following me."I kept calm, hoping that my dad wouldn't worry too much.

Go to the closest police station. I'll meet you down there.

I breathed a sigh of relief when the small car turned down a neighboring street.

"Nevermind."I chuckled more out of nerves than anything else."They turned."

Don't scare me like that.

"Sorry."I smiled."I'm coming to your street now. I should be there in a minute."

Okay. I love you, Halle. Bye.

"Love you too, dad. Bye."I hung up the phone and turned down the familiar street.

I pulled up to the large duplex and smiled. It had been a long time since I had been back home. I could still picture Terry and I playing in the backyard or swimming in the pool. I still remember sitting outside with my mom when she began to learn how to ride her bike. There were a lot of great memories I had at this house, but they all seemed to fade away over time. I slowly emerged from my car and pulled my bag out from the back seat. I shifted the strap on my shoulder numerous times as I walked up to the front door. When I stepped inside my parents greeted me with warm hugs and smiles.

I wiped my feet along the welcome mat and stepped onto the wood floor. The small mud room led out to the living room, where I presumed Terry was. My dad took my bag from my hands as I asked, "Where's Terry?"

"She's in the living room."My mom smiled."Watching one of her many horror movies."

"I'm going to put this in our bedroom. You get to sleep in there while we're gone."My dad disappeared from our sight, leaving my mom and I to ourselves.

I followed her into the living room and found that they kept the house the same it has always been. The living room was still attached on our left by the hallway that led us to the two bedrooms and bathroom. Next after the hallway was the wide open kitchen, where Terry and I used to sit at the island and have breakfast. Then there was the extra door that opened up into a thin hall, where if you made a quick right, you'd find the last door of the house that would reveal Beatrice's side of the duplex. I looked down at Terry, who was sprawled out on the couch and said, "Hey, Terry! What's up?"

"Hey."Just by the tone in her voice I could tell she was annoyed with me.

I frowned slightly at her pissy attitude, but I let it roll off my shoulders. My dad came back into the room and clapped his hands together.

"Well, we're all set! I have all the phone numbers on the kitchen table if you need us. You girls be good. I love you."Terry and I said our goodbyes as they walked out the door.

I followed them to the door and watched out the window as they readied to leave. Their smiles showed how truly excited they were to get going. They eventually pulled out of the driveway and took off down the road. I chuckled lightly and went to turn away. A quick image caught my eye and I turned back, finding that a silver car was slowly going down the street only seconds after my parents left. I only turned away, afraid to know if it happened to be that Civic that was behind me earlier. I stepped up to Terry and crossed my arms over my chest. I gave her a small smirk and asked, "How about a movie?"

"Sorry. Not into PG films."She spat.

"Well, seeing as I'm not mom and dad,"I retorted."I was thinking more along the lines of The Hangover 2."

Terry sat up on the couch and slowly let a smile crawl across her lips.

"I'll go get ready."She ran down the hall and toward our old bedroom.

"I thought so."I sighed.

By nearly six o' clock Terry and I had left to go see the new release. When the movie ended, almost two and a half hours later, I was happy to know that we seemed to have patched things back up. I had taken Terry bowling quickly after the movie, so she was more than apologetic for being so nasty over the phone. Terry and I were always so close. I didn't want that to change. By the time we had walked through the front door, it was almost nine thirty. I locked the door behind the both of us and reached out for the curtain to the window. I peeked outside and sighed quietly.

I hadn't seen the car since earlier today, which made me feel paranoid. It wasn't blasting heavy metal music or swerving all over the road; there was just something about it. But then again, I seemed to get delirious when I was working on a few hours of sleep. I walked over to Terry and said, "I'm gonna take a shower. Yell if you need me."

"Okay."She fell back onto the couch and started to finish off her horror flick.

I managed to scrounge up a pair of shorts and a tank top to sleep in for the night. I had been pyhscicing myself up all day about one four seater car and nothing ever came of it. I just needed to sit back and relax and what better way to do that then to get in a nice, hot shower? I stripped out of my clothes and turned the rusty knob to the water. I ran a heavy hand down my face and sighed softly. This shower better be worth my time.