Livin' on the Edge

Recognition

I brushed my fingers through my hair and washed out the rest of my conditioner. When I was sure that I had gotten every inch of shampoo and conditioner out of my chocolate locks, I turned the shower off and stepped out. I quickly dried myself off before I began changing. As I slid my shorts up my tanned legs, a scream suddenly filtered through the house. I froze up with fear as goosebumps rose along every inch of my skin.

"Terry?"I felt rather stupid when I heard her movie continue playing.

I pulled my shirt over my head and quickly ran a brush through my hair. I let out a quiet sigh before I brushed my teeth. I was begining to scare myself with how quick I had become jumpy. It was one car and one time. Nothing much could come out of that. I still had the sick feeling building in my stomach over it, but I brushed it off as paranoia. I swished my mouth out with warm water before gathering up my dirty clothes on the floor. I reached out for the golden handle, but was struck with fear when another scream went through the house.

I knew for a fact that that scream no longer belonged to the movie. It was too real; too personal. My dirty clothes slipped from my fingers and tumbled to the tiled ground. I took in a shakey breath before shouting, "Terry?!"

I pulled open the hollow door and choked back on my breath. A large man stood before me, a smile slowly creeping it's way onto his face. He had nearly six or seven inches on me and a very large build to him. A white wife beater hugged his toned chest and showed off his bare, but inked arms. A pair of loose fitting jeans tried desperately to hold onto his hips and were lazily shoved into a pair of tan combat boots. I did absolutely nothing but whimper in defeat when his hazel eyes looked down at me. The man did nothing but grab me by the back of my neck and pull me forward.

I simply followed his silent demands and walked with him toward the living room. I knew my chances of escaping his grasp was slim to none. When we made our way into the living room, I instantly felt my eyes water with warm, salty tears. Terry was sprawled out on the short couch, a deep red mark forcing her temple to swell slightly. She was only a thirteen year old girl; why would they take violence to that extent on her? I wanted to turn in this man's tight grip and hit him, but I didn't know what that would cost me. There was another man sitting on the couch opposite of Terry, who was rather slim, but still intimidating.

Black hair fell into his oceanic blue eyes, which were outlined neatly in black eyeliner. A labret piercing hugged the skin under his bottom lip. He wore a cut off Jack Daniels shirt that also showed off his inked arms. Black skinny jeans, that had a bandana hanging from his back pocket, were met by hightop trainers. My bottom lip began to quiver, because I knew I could have prevented the situation Terry and I were in now. I knew that small Honda Civic belonged to one of these men. If I had taken the time to inform the police about what had happened earlier, these men could be behind bars.

"What did you do?"I whimpered.

"Nothing short of helping her sleep."The man, who's hand tightened on the back of my neck, spoke with a deep, gravelly voice.

"Yo Matt,"The thin man, who seemed just about Matt's height, retrieved a large chain from his side."catch."

It must have been hidden beside him, because it was not visible when I walked in. He threw the long chain over, forcing the man named Matt to catch only part of it. He looked down at me with those cold, hazel eyes and warned, "Don't move, princess."

I cringed as he circled the chain around my waist, brushing his collused fingers along my tank top a few times. I whimpered slightly when he tightened the chain and let it dig into my skin. He locked the links into place and kept his hands on what I thought was a chain leash. It connected securley to the chain links around my waist. It gave me about eight feet of freedom to move, if he didn't keep me close enough. Matt turned to the thin man, who he referred to as Jimmy, as I locked my eyes on the hall door to our left. The door was next to the couch that Jimmy sat on.

If I had managed to get through that door and make an immediate right, I would find myself standing by the one door that led to Beatrice's side of the duplex. I only needed her to call the police in order for Terry and I to be safe. Beatrice always kept the door unlocked, just in case. I must have taken Matt by surprise, because I had managed to reach the door. Yet in the split second I thought I had absolute freedom, he yanked back on the chain. I yelled out in pain as the metal dug into my hips, but I never gave up. Jimmy and Matt laughed at my effort, but it didn't bring me down.

"I can play this game all day, sweetheart!"Matt grinned.

He pulled me against the carpetted floor, no longer letting me reach the door. When my strength drained, I sat by Terry's side. I cupped her unconcious head in my hands and ran a soft thumb over her soon to be bruised temple. I cried quietly before whispering, "I'll get help soon. I promise."

Matt and Jimmy spoke amongst themselves for a few moments, but I paid no mind to their conversation. I don't know what these men wanted, but I knew it was only the begining. I watched Matt's actions intently and when I was sure he had a loose grip on my chain, I made a run to the front door. The few feet became centimeters in seconds. Yet before I had even reached out for the door, I was yanked back once more. I fell back onto my rear end and grunted at the sudden stop. The slamming of car doors met my ears and I instantly cried out for help. I had managed to climg to my feet and reach out for the door once more.

"Where you going, sweetheart?!"He pulled against me, treating the event like a game.

"Help me! Help!"Their laughter filtered loudly into the rooms."Help!"

The handle to the door suddenly started to turn and I began to cry in happiness. The door opened and revealed two more men. One wore a long sleeved black shirt and dark blue jeans. Boots hugged his feet and his dark brown hair fell into his crystal blue eyes. The man beside him stepped forward and into the light, a cruel smirk plastered to his lips. I nearly choked in fear as the recognition clicked in my head.

"Sean?"I breathed.