Status: It will still be updated - I'm not quitting on this story, don't worry - I'll just be posting less during the school year due to reading assignments, and writting assignments. Just please don't give up on this. I'm so close to the good part! ;D

Think Again

"This case isn't going to be the normal romp through the serial killing woods"

When good Americans die they go to Paris.
-Oscar Wilde


Today was my first day back at the BAU. Spencer had picked me up, the doctor saying I wasn't supposed to drive for a month. I didn't mind, however. Just as long as I was able to fly with the team I was okay. Together, Spencer and I walked through the lobby, over to the elevators. While we waited, Spencer turned to me.

"Would you... um... w-want to go out on a date? with me? this weekend?"

I looked up at him and couldn't help but smile at how cute he was. "I would love to go on a date with you."

He smiled and the elevator opened. Getting on we rode up to the sixth floor and stepped out, almost running into Garcia. She held out her hands to stop us, then motioned for us to follow her. We walked down the hall to her technology bubble where she closed the door.

Turning she said, "Kelsie, this really has nothing to do with you," turning to Spencer she said, "I'm warning you before you go into the bull pin.... Emily is back."

I watched as he stiffened, the grip on his bag's strap intensifying. Garcia frowned, then I said, "Thanks Garcia...." Turning to Spencer I said, "We should go see her."

Opening the door, I lead Spencer out and held his hand as we walked down the hall and into the bull pin. JJ, Derek, Rossi, and Hotch were surrounded a dark haired woman, all of whom turned to look at us as we came in. Spencer stopped for a moment, letting go of my hand. He looked at the group for a moment then turned to the kitchenette. I looked at the group, then followed Spencer to the coffee pot where I copied him in retrieving my mug from the cabinet and filling it with coffee. I took a sip as he did, and finally I touched his arm.

"You're going to have to go over there, sooner or later."

Spencer frowned, "You don't understand.... I buried her," turning to me he added, "I carried her coffin."

I frowned, "I... I'm sorry, Spencer... I didn't know."

"No... you don't."

I frowned harder and left him alone, walking over with a smile. Reaching the group, JJ wrapped her arm around my shoulder and said, "Kelsie, this is Emily Prentiss. Emily this is Kelsie Parish. She's the member who... replaced you."

I couldn't help the jerking motion of shock that went through me. "Oh, um, it's an honor to meet you," I held out my hand, "Spencer and Derek have told me many stories about you."

Derek let out a sigh and had a knowing smile on his face.

Emily shook my hand and gave a small laugh, "All good I hope."

I smiled, "Of course."

"Well congratulations on making it on this team.... They're all great people."

"I know."

"Kelsie," said Hotch, "Emily will be replacing you in the field while you continue to recover."

I nodded, "That's awesome."

"How are you feeling, by the way," asked Derek.

I took a moment to assess myself, then replied, "Well... I do believe the pain killers have kicked in, so right now I feel fine."

"Have you been cleared to fly?" Hotch looked serious.

I nodded, "I have the paper work right here." Reaching into my bag, I pulled out the small packet of papers the doctor gave me that allowed me to fly with the team.

Hotch took the packet and nodded, "Thank you."

"Will Reid be joining us," asked Emily, looking in the direction of the kitchenette.

I frowned, "Um... I don't think so."

She frowned, "Oh."

"But I'm sure if you give him time... he'll come around."

She frowned still while nodding, "Right."

I frowned harder, "Might... I ask what happened?"

The group was hushed and for a moment I felt ashamed for asking, then Morgan spoke, "We came in contact with the arms dealer, Ian Doyle, and pursued him. Emily had a personal connection with him. During the investigation, Emily felt we were getting too close, and for our protection, she left. We were able to figure out where she was and when I got there, Doyle had impaled her with a wooden stake."

"It was Hotch and I who came up with the idea that she should die," said JJ softly, "To protect her and us."

"I've been living in Paris since then," said Emily.

I nodded, "Oh. I understand now."

"Which was why we were so interested when you told us that a Lauren Reynolds found Doyle dead in Paris." said Rossi. Turning to Emily he added, "Nice way to blow your cover."

She smiled modestly, "I thought you guys would pick up on it."

"We had only heard that Doyle had died," said Hotch, "We heard nothing about Lauren until a week ago."

Emily cringed, "I'm so sorry."

Hotch held up his hands and said, 'Hey, you don't have to win us over... I think it's Reid you have to worry about."

Emily frowned and I turned to Spencer who looked around the kitchenette, looking for some other reason to be there. Walking over to him, I topped off my coffee and said, "She seems nice."

Spencer frowned into his drink and said, "Seems nice... doesn't make her a saint."

"Will you at least go over there?"

"I'll go over there, but I won't talk to her." He then left, walking over to his desk wishing everyone a quick hello before sitting in his chair. Garcia came in, and I fell in step with her.

"He didn't take it well," she said.

"No, he didn't... but in his defense, I'm not sure how I would be able to handle something like this."

"Well, hopefully you'll never have to find out."

I nodded, "Garcia... if you every fake your death, then come back to life... I'll kill you myself."

Garcia looked at me and nodded, "Sir, yes, sir."

We smiled and joined the group, the focus going between Emily and my recovery, until Chief Strauss came over, handing a pile of folders to Garcia and a flash drive. She smiled at Emily, then left. Garcia frowned and left the group to look through the new case before briefing us. I left the huddle and moved to Spencer, leaning against his desk.

"Do... you want to play race solitaire on the plane? Assuming we're flying somewhere."

He looked up at me and shook his head.

"You were so good-"

"I think I'm just going to read...." Looking up at me he frowned a little.

Nodding I said, "Alright."

Taking my hand, I thought he was going to say something, but he didn't. I caught his eye and smiled at him apologetically and he smiled back. I shouldn't push him into socializing with a woman who he thought was dead. If he wanted to deal with it by reading, then so be it. I have his hand a squeeze, meaning to let go, but he wouldn't let me. Looking back up at me, his eyes pleaded, willing me to hold on, to not leave him alone. I squeezed his hand again, and he nodded.

Garcia came back, trying to maintain her cheerful peppy self, but was obviously failing, "Um... we have a new case."

Everyone grew quiet and we moved to follow Garcia into the round table room. Spencer held my hand most of the way, until he noticed someone watching, then he let go. I shifted my head to try to see who it was but only saw Emily. We entered the room, and I sat down next to Derek with Spencer sitting next to me. I opened the file and grimaced.

"Okay, so this case isn't going to be the normal romp through the serial killing woods we usually go through," said Garcia, "Oh... maybe it will be.... Point being, this case seriously sucks."

Clicking a button, we soon saw why.

With lies you may get ahead in the world - but you can never go back.
-Russian proverb
♠ ♠ ♠
EMILY IS BACK! WOO WOO!
but Spencer is sad....
Don't worry, he won't be sullen like Edward Cullen for long!

Comments?