Status: It will still be updated - I'm not quitting on this story, don't worry - I'll just be posting less during the school year due to reading assignments, and writting assignments. Just please don't give up on this. I'm so close to the good part! ;D

Think Again

"'Cause in all honesty, I'm awesome to be around"

Children show scars like medals. Lovers use them as secrets to reveal. A scar is what happens when the word is made flesh.
-Leonard Cohen


~Spencer's POV~

We managed to interview everyone on the list, and they all looked the same, but no one was talking. All of them seemed genuinely surprised when Kelsie used jargon that they did, and that she didn't treat them like everyone else. Morgan and I didn't gain any new information, but Kelsie said there was a leader who was from the area, but not associated with the schools. Tomorrow we would split up; half the team talking to other schools, the other to the kids' parents.

Right now, we were taking a break. We had gone back to the hotel where we were to change into something more casual for dinner. I put on jeans, a white button up, and a black sweater vest - no tie. Everyone was in the lobby except Kelsie. I told them I would knock on her door to see if she was coming.

"Oh, hey Spencer," she said as she opened the door.

"Hey." I looked at what she was wearing, a tank top that was the same color blue as her eyes, and a pair of even darker jeans. On her feet were a pair of high heel sandals. She looked amazing.

"What can I do you for," she asked, stepping outside as she pulled on a black hoodie. It had markings on it, but I couldn't read them. It looked to be some sort of band, My Chemical... something.

"I was just wondering if you were planning on joining us."

She smiled, and it was beautiful, "Of course! Derek and Garcia already threatened to kick my ass if I didn't come."

I smiled.

"Would you like to walk me down," she asked as her door closed.

"Yeah, er, yes I would." I looked away as she fell instep beside me, her heels hoisting her up to about my height.

I made sure to keep a comfortable distance away from her as we walked, not wanting her to feel crowded. When we reached the elevator I allowed her to press the button, the motion causing her overly large hoodie to fall from her left shoulder. I looked at the exposed skin and noticed a thin white line curl over her shoulder and disappear under her shirt. I looked away before she noticed my gaze, and she adjusted the jacket so that it covered her again.

We were quiet on the way down, and I found myself at a loss of words, but I did manage, "Did you know that an average of twenty six people die in an elevator each year?"

She looked at me, and I knew I had said the wrong thing.

"But really, when you think about it, these are actually safer than cars-"

"No... damage has been done," she said, "But please don't feel bad. It's not the elevator I'm afraid of... it's the falling."

"You're a bathophobic."

She gave me a small smile, "Sure."

"You have a phobia of falling from high places."

Her smile widened, making me smile a little at her, "Phobia is a little extreme, but very close."

The elevator reached the bottom floor and we walked out meeting up with the team in the lobby. Hotch found a bar we were going to so we left, ready to take our minds off the case for a while. Kelsie rode with Morgan, Garcia, and I again, all three falling in conversation. I sat up front trying to figure out what I saw on Kelsie's shoulder. A tattoo? A scar? A glare of light?

We all arrived at our destination and we got out, finding a table big enough for our needs. The bar wasn't all that crowded, although it might have something to do with it being a Wednesday evening. I took a seat next to Morgan, Kelsi sitting across from me. Garcia sat next to her, JJ next to Garcia. Hotch sat at the end between me and Kelsi, while Rossi sat at the other end next to JJ.

A waiter came and took our orders, we all had alcohol, and we took a moment to look over the menus. I ordered a taco salad, Morgan ordered a bacon cheese burger, and so did Kelsie. We were all surprised at her meal choice, but it went well with her choice of draft beer.

I watched Kelsie as the conversation struggled to pick up. She was nervous sitting next to Hotch, it was evident. I wasn't the only one to notice.

"Are you alright," Hotch asked.

Kelsie jumped a little, then nodded, "Um... yeah? I, ah, have something I want to say."

The table stopped talking.

"I, um, just want to apologies to everyone for my behavior today. It was cold, it was cryptic, and just rude." She paused, for a moment, not for response, but to gather her thoughts, "I am able to do this job. Despite what most people think, or despite what... I went through in the past. I went though it, I won, I'm stronger. I didn't expect you guys to find out about what happened to me so soon," Garcia hung her head in shame, "But I guess it beats having to tell y'all later." Kelsie smiled, though no one else did.

"So yeah, I'm sorry, and I hope you'll give me another chance." Smiling wider she added, "'Cause in all honestly, I'm awesome to be around."

That earned a small chuckle from Morgan.

"Is the subject of your abduction something we should avoid," asked Hotch.

She thought about it, then shook her head, "It's fine. Um... there are some things I prefer to keep to myself-"

"What do you want us to know," asked Morgan.

"I was kidnapped when I was sixteen, held hostage for six months where I was continually raped, and I got away. Just don't probe any further than that, and we'll be fine." She shrugged, "I was just thrown off guard today, is all."

"We're sorry for prying," Rossi said.

"Like I said, you would have found out anyway," she smiled, "It wasn't going to remain a secret for long." As she said this, she shrugged out of her jacket, showing the silver line on her shoulder.

"What's that?" Morgan pointed at the marking.

"A scar. It starts here, goes down my back, stopping... here." She placed a finger at the front of her right hip.

"Did he do that to you," whispered Garcia.

"Yes."

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

"Not your fault." She smiled.

It amazed me that she could do that. If we had been talking about Tobias, I would have started to panic a little. I always felt awkward talking about my time with him. I found myself wondering if this was sincere, or very well faked.

"So tell us about yourself," said JJ, "Just to lighten the mood a bit."

"Um... I'm from Illinois. I grew up in a small town surrounded by corn. I played hockey all through my schooling career, and I swear like a pirate because of it. I also figure skate and dance."

Morgan laughed, "You played hockey? Was it an all girl team?"

"In college it was. High school and lower I played with guys I was only one of two girls on the team."

"No kidding," said JJ, wide eyed.

Kelsie smiled, "I miss it."

"Why do you say you curse like a pirate," asked Garcia.

"Because a sailor doesn't have my mouth." she smiled, "Don't worry, I won't unleash the kraken while with you guys."

"You figure staked, danced, and played hockey," Rossi sounded like he was processing the information, "Sounds tiresome."

"Not really."

"What did you do in your spare time," asked Garcia.

"What spare time?" Derek smiled.

Keslie smiled, "I read, I sing with friends in karaoke bars, and I acted in local plays."

"We'll have to go to a karaoke night," said Morgan smiling wider, "I'm down with singing a couple of songs, making a fool of myself."

Kelsie laughed and my chest tightened. I watched as she interacted with everyone, so care fee now that we all knew the story of her life. I was amazed that she hadn't let that hold her down. She was right. She was stronger. She had won.

I took a sip of my drink, and asked, "What kind of books do you read?"

"Mostly fiction books. If you're talking about classics, I read mostly British authors. Chaucer, Dickens, Shelly, Bronte, Austen, really anyone."

My jaw dropped. All of those names, I knew very well. My mother would read them to me when I was little. I felt my heart warm. As I watched her watching me a feeling moved through me. I suddenly wished that everyone else wasn't here. I felt myself become selfish. I wanted Kelsie all to myself.

"What about you," she asked, "What do you read?"

My mouth was suddenly very dry, and I was forced to swallow a few times before replying, "Much of the same."

She smiled, "Do you have a personal favorite?"

"No. You?"

"Yes."

"What is it?"

She smiled coyly, "You'll have to figure it out."

The table was silent, besides the giggling coming from Morgan, Garcia, and JJ. They all held smiles on their faces, then I realized that she was messing with me. Flirting?

"How do you suppose I do that," I asked.

"You'll just have to get to know me."

I watched her sip from her drink then said, "You love fantasy more than fiction, but if you're like most readers, you couple them automatically. You mentioned earlier that you liked vampires, which leads me to think Bram Stoker, but Dracula is not your favorite... Lord Byron's The Vampyre?"

She giggled, "You pay attention. Very good, but I actually love Stoker and his imagery, more than Byron and his clubbed foot. And as much as I love vampires they aren't a significant part in my favorite book. Nice try though."

"This is going to keep him up all night," laughed Morgan, nudging me.

I shot him a look and replied, "No it's not."

The team giggled as we held off our conversation to let the waitress hand us our food. As I scooped a section of meat onto my fork I tried not to let the others see how frustrated I was. Morgan was right... this was going to keep me up all night.

The key is to get to know people and trust them to be who they are. Instead, we trust people to be who we want them to be- and when they're not, we cry.
-Unknown
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT PLEASE!
I want to know if you all like this or not.
I'm starting to doubt myself.
Is it interesting?
Is it good?
Is it Spencer enough?
IS IT OKAY?
AAHHHH!!!!!

sorry. New update soon to come. :D