Status: It will still be updated - I'm not quitting on this story, don't worry - I'll just be posting less during the school year due to reading assignments, and writting assignments. Just please don't give up on this. I'm so close to the good part! ;D

Think Again

"Think again, Dr. Reid"

Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.
-Plautus


I waited impatiently for Spencer to come. I sat in my living room reading my favorite book, but not allowing it enough attention to soak up the hints the author left in the text. Exactly thirty minutes after our phone call, I got a knock on my door. Marking my page, I set my book on my couch, and grabbed my purse. Opening the door I smiled, "Hey Spencer."

"Hi. Nice house."

"Thanks." I closed the door and locked it. "So where are we going?"

He smiled, "You'll see."

I followed him to his car and opened the passenger door before he could. I smiled at him and sat down, closing the door. He stood there for a moment, not sure what to do, but moved to get in the car. He started the engine and the sound of a Bob Dylan song came from the speakers.

"Oh, sorry." Spencer moved to turn the already low music down more.

"No," I said, grabbing his hand. The moment I did I wish I hadn't. An electric shock ran violently through me, and I found myself disappointed as I pulled away. Messing with my hair I cleared my throat and said, "I, um, love this song."

Blush burned brightly in my cheeks and I looked away to hid it from him.

Spencer pulled out of my driveway, letting the CD play "It Ain't Me Babe." He drove into the city, navigating the streets expertly. I watched my surroundings determined to learn my way around. He came to a stop in front of a deli and we got out. Following him inside, I noticed there were no tables.

"Where are-"

"Pick out anything," he said, "Um... my treat."

I smiled, "Aw, thanks Spencer, but you really don't have to-"

"I want to." He looked down at me and smiled.

I blushed and followed him to the counter, where I grabbed a tuna and cucumber sandwich, along with a bottle of tea. Spencer got a ham and cheese sandwich with a coke to drink. He paid for our food, then lead me back outside and to a small park area. Finding a secluded spot under some trees, we sat down.

"Thank you for paying Spencer," I said as I unwrapped my sandwich, "I'll pay next time."

He smiled, "Next time?"

I laughed, "Duh! How else do you plan on guessing my favorite book?"

"I have my ways."

I smiled and bit into my sandwich. We fell into a comfortable silence for a while, then he asked, "So how do you like it here?"

"Not sure. I've only been here for a few days."

"Oh."

"Where are you from?"

"Las Vegas."

I smiled, "Really?"

He nodded.

"That's awesome. I've never been to Nevada."

"Well, you're not missing much."

I smiled and replied, "I've never seen any of the desert states. Only pictures."

"Really?"

"Yup." I sighed, "I've always wanted to live out there. It would have been an awesome change from central America. Very beautiful."

Spencer watched me for a moment then said, "You should go sometime."

I smiled, "Maybe when a case takes us there. I don't have the time to go."

"So what is your family like."

"Broken. I grew up with my mom while my dad lived in Minnesota. My mom's from Arizona, so when my dad took her away from it, she started to hate him a little. When they had me, she refused to move further north, so we stayed in Illinois while my dad left. He's remarried now with two kids, but he still calls on important holidays and birthdays."

Spencer waited a beat, probably to make sure I was okay, before saying, "My dad left when I was little too. It was my mother and I for a long time."

"Where's you mother now?"

Spencer looked down at his sandwich.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I shouldn't have asked."

"No it's fine. She's still in Vegas. I write her everyday."

I smiled, "That's cute."

"And your mom?"

"Still in Illinois." I smiled, "So... do you come here often?"

"Every once in a while."

I nodded, "How fast can you read?"

He smiled shyly, "Very."

"Are you one of those thousand words per minute readers?"

"Um, 20,000, actually."

I choked on my drink out of shock, but managed, "Damn that's fast."

He gave another shy smile and nodded.

~Spencer's POV~

After we finished eating, we went back to my car and I drove her home. She invited me in, but made me wait in the front hall for a moment before officially entering her house. She said she needed to put something away.... The living room was cozy, a few boxes could still be seen in the corners, but for the most part it was ready to be lived in. I walked around her living room while she put on a pot of coffee. Her walls held pictures of her and her mother, or her many hockey tears and figure skating partner. I couldn't help but notice a momentary lapse of pictures in her life after she entered high school. My heart ached to know why.

Did she not like cameras?

Or did she see herself as ugly after gaining a new scar?

Finishing the pictures, I moved to the book shelf. It was impressive. All of Jane Austen's books could be seen obviously used. Other classic names like Chaucer, Frost, Poe, Bronte, Shelly, Stevenson, Dickens, Dickenson, even Shakespeare all made an impressive appearance on the shelves. All were put in alphabetical order by the author's last name, mixing well with J.R.R. Token, Stephen King, J.K. Rowling - which I found slightly immature, Ursela K. La Guin, H.P. Lovecraft, and Laurel K. Hamilton.

"Find anything," asked Kelsie from behind me.

Turning I accepted the mug that had an image from Alice in Wonderland on it and smiled, "Your books are very interesting."

She smiled and said, "No profiling, please. I don't need you telling me that my choice in books is a bid dreary."

"I don't think so."

"Really?"

I shook my head as I sipped the delicious drink.

Her smile widened, and my heart swelled at the sight. "You probably shouldn't look at my movie collection then."

"Why?"

"Way too many slasher movies."

I smiled, "I love slasher movies."

She laughed, visibly relieved, "Really?"

"Yeah."

"My personal favorites are A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday 13th," she smiled, "I'm so glad you watch horror movies."

"October 31st is my favorite day of the year."

She smiled.

"My favorite franchise though is the Scre-"

"We should catch a movie sometime, yeah?" She smiled and turned away.

The way her body stiffened clued me in that something was wrong.

"Are you alright?"

She nodded but didn't look at me.

"You're not acting alright."

She turned back and smiled at me, "I'm fine."

"I'm sorry if I said something wrong."

She shook her head, "I'm just not a fan of... that franchise. Perhaps if you get me on another day I'll explain, but not now."

It had to do with her kidnapping.

Nodding, I didn't say anything as I sipped from the coffee again.

An awkward silence filled the room, and after a few minutes of it, I held out my mug and said, "I should go."

She looked shocked, but took the cup anyway.

I walked to the door and she followed, opening it for me. As I started down her front steps I turned and said, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

"I-I'm sorry?"

"That's your favorite book."

She looked at me for a moment, then smiled. Shaking her head she replied, "Think again, Dr. Reid."

Closing the door, I managed to reach her driveway before her voice came again, "Spencer!"

Turning I said, "Yeah?"

"If we have time... would you like to get lunch with me tomorrow?"

I smiled and nodded.

Her own smile appeared on her face and she waved at me before closing her door entirely. As I got in my car and drove away, I found myself still smiling. All I could think about was the time spent with her, and the time I was going to have with her tomorrow.

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and a richness to life that nothing else can bring.
-Oscar Wilde
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh....
It's too cute for my personal taste, but there you go. An update!
I'm currently working on the next case they're going on, and I personally am quite happy with it. And I hope you are too. :D

Comment as always, please and thank you!