Status: Complete

Accidentally In Love

CHAPTER EIGHTTEEN

six months later

I woke up with a start and a shooting pain through my stomach. I looked at the clock and saw that it was three in the morning.

“Oh, shit.” I hissed when I felt a warm liquid run down my legs and soak the bed. I was in labor and of course Jordan was on a road trip. We were hoping the baby would wait, but with my bad luck it wasn’t waiting. I reached for my phone and dialed Taylor’s number.

“Aren’t you done with your weird ass cravings at weird ass hours of the night?” She growled into the phone.

“I am, but uh I think I just went into labor.” I whispered.

“Shit, really?”

I nodded and began panicking. “Yeah, my water just broke.”

I heard her moving around. “Do you have your bag packed already?”

I looked to the corner of the room and saw the bag that Jordan had packed for me. “Yeah, Jordan did it a while ago.”

She chuckled. “Okay, first of all relax. Don’t freak out. I will be there in ten minutes. I’m going to have to bring the kids though.”

“I don’t care, just get here.”

“Alright. Call Jordan.”

“Already planning on it.’ I laughed.

We disconnected and I quickly dialed Jordan’s number. It went to voicemail and I left a voice mail. I got up and threw on one of Jordan’s hoodies and changed my pants. I grabbed my bag and phone and went down to the living room to wait for Taylor. While waiting, I called Jordan again hoping the first phone call kind of woke him up.

“Hello? He answered in a groggy voice.

“Hey, you know I wouldn’t wake you up if this wasn’t important, but I, uh, thought I should let you know that I’m going into labor.”

That woke him up.” What?” He said, a bit loudly. “Are you sure?”

I chuckled. “I am, I woke up about five minutes ago and my water broke. We knew this was going to happen.”

“Why is he so stubborn? I told him he had to wait until at least tomorrow night.” He chuckled. Jordan was determined we were having a boy.

“He’s a Staal.” My laugh was cut off by the pain of a contraction.

“Man, are you okay?” Jordan asked when I went quiet.

“Yeah, just a contraction.” I panted.

I could hear movement on Jordan’s end and I had no clue what he was doing. I was about to ask him when the front door opened and Taylor walked in. She grabbed my bag without a word and I followed her out to the car. Troy was fast asleep in his car seat and Stephanie was half awake and she gave me a sleepy smile when I sat down.

“Is it time for my cousin?” She asked. Something she had been doing for a while now.

I chuckled. “Yes it is Steph.”

“Steph is there?” Jordan asked with a smile. “Let me talk to her.”

I looked at my niece who was fighting to stay awake. “Steph, you awake enough to talk to Jordan?”

She nodded and reached for my phone. I laid my head on the headrest and took a couple deep breaths as another contraction took over me. Instinctively, I reached across the center console and grabbed Taylor’s arm. She released the steering wheel with her other hand and patted my hand.

“Just keep breathing.” She told me and I nodded.

“Aunt Mandy, Jordan wants to talk to you.” Stephanie said with a yawn.

I reached behind me and grabbed the phone. “Hey.” I whispered.

“I’m heading to Dan’s room now. I’m getting on the quickest flight back home as I can. I’m not missing this.” He said.

Tears were now streaming down my face as soon as the realization that Jordan may miss the birth of our baby. “Please hurry Jordy, I want you.”

“I know, baby. I’m going to go talk to Dan. I’ll keep you updated on everything okay.”

I sniffled and nodded. “Okay, I love you.”

“I love you too, baby. You’ll be fine.”

“I hope so.” I whispered.

“You will be.”

We pulled up to the hospital as I said goodbye to Jordan. Taylor got the kids out as I made my way inside to check myself in. Forty-five minutes and many tears later I was in a room with an epidural shot coursing through my system. Finally not able to feel the pain, I drifted to sleep.

When I woke up, I saw that Taylor was sitting across the room with a fussy Troy in her arms. I groaned before trying to adjust my position. Being in labor is the most uncomfortable thing in the world. I looked at Taylor and she gave me a sympathetic smile. She knew what I was feeling.

“Jordan called right after you fell asleep. He is a healthy scratch for tonight’s game and was on his way to the airport. He says the team is wishing you the best of luck.” She smiled.

I sighed in relief knowing that Jordan was able to leave. I just hoped he got here in time. I looked next to me and saw Stephanie sleeping on the other chair with a smile on her face. Taylor was keeping her home from school because all she could talk about the past month was her little cousin and Taylor and Sidney would never hear the end of it if she missed the birth.

“Did the doctor come in at all while I was sleeping?” I asked my sister, trying to get comfortable.

“Yeah. He said everything is looking good, but you’re only three centimeters dilated. So I think Jordan will make here in time.” She smiled.

“I hope so.” I sighed.

Three hours later

The pain was unbearable. Taylor had called Sidney’s sister to come sit with the kids while she stayed with me. I begged the doctors for more pain meds but they weren’t able to give me anymore and I was ready to scream. I just wanted to get this over with, but most of all I wanted Jordan.

“God dammit! Where the hell is Jordan?!” I screamed as another contraction hit me.

“He will be here as soon as he can, Mandy. His plane just landed fifteen minutes ago. He’s probably still at the airport.” Taylor said, pushing my hair out of my face.

“I want him here now!” I demanded as tears filled my eyes.

Just then the door opened and I sat up hoping it was Jordan, but slammed my head back down with a groan when I saw that it was just the doctor.

“How are you feeling Mandy?” He asked, walking to check the baby’s heartbeat.

“I’m in pain…a lot of it.”

“Well it looks like your contractions are about five minutes apart now. So it shouldn’t be long.” He smiled and then did an examination. “You about eight centimeters now, so it really should be soon.” He smiled and left the room.

I turned to my sister and held out my hand. “Phone. Now.” I demanded. She sighed and handed me my cell phone and I dialed Jordan’s number. I didn’t give him a chance to speak before I started talking. “Jordan Lee Staal, you better be fucking close to this hospital because I don’t know how much longer your damn child is going to wait.” I huffed into the phone.

“How’s this?” He said and stepped through the door. “Hey there.” He smiled, shoving his phone in his pocket.

“I’m going to go out there with Taylor and the kids.” she kissed my forehead, and placed a hand on Jordan’s arm. “Watch it, she’s not in a good mood.” She chuckled. “Come get me when everything is done.”

I smiled at my sister and then looked at Jordan. I noticed the bags under his eyes and the rumbled look he sported., but his eyes shone. “You look tired.”

“You look fucking exhausted.” He chuckled and kissed me. “I’m fine, I’ve been running on adrenaline since you called me.”

“I’m glad you were only in Washington and not fucking LA.” I admitted.

“Me too, that would have sucked.”

“You’re telling me.” I sighed and closed my eyes.

Twenty minutes later I was pushing so hard, I thought my head was going to explode. I had Jordan’s hand in a death grip and tears running down my face.

“Okay, you can relax. I’m going to have you push in another minute so get ready.” Dr. Lopez coached.

I shook my head. “I can’t, I can’t do this anymore.” I cried.

Jordan leaned down and kissed my forehead, moving my sweaty hair out of my face. “You can do this. You’re almost done, baby. I can see its head. You’re almost there.”

“Alright, Mandy. Here comes another contraction, I want you to push on this one.”

I nodded and took a deep breath before pushing. I pushed with all my might and finally the pressure disappeared and the room filled with cries. I looked at Jordan and smiled in relief, I was done. He leaned down and kissed me.

“I love you. I’m proud of you. You did such a great job.” He said.

“Jordan, would you like to cut the cord?”

Jordan nodded and followed the doctor’s instructions on where to cut and then they whisked the baby away to get weighted and cleaned up.

“What did we have?” Jordan and I wanted to wait and see what the baby was going to be when I had it. Taylor had freaked on me because she hated when people did that.

“A girl.” He smiled.

“Avery Michelle.” I smiled and Jordan did too.

“Here you go mama, your beautiful little girl.” a nurse smiled handing Avery to me.

As soon as she was in my arms, tears filled my eyes and spilled over and down my cheeks. She was beautiful. She was staring at me with Jordan’s eyes. I looked over at Jordan and saw that he was crying as well.

“Hi there Avery. I’m your daddy.” He whispered, kissing her forehead softly. “We are so happy you’re here.” Jordan then snapped a picture of Avery and I, sending it to his brothers and teammates.

I handed Avery to Jordan and smiled at the sight. She looked so tiny in his large arms, but she couldn’t have been in a safer place. Jordan was going to be wrapped around her finger before she could even walk or talk. I chuckled to myself and took my own picture of the two of them.

After Jordan and I had some time alone with our daughter, I sent Jordan to get my sister and Taylor. Stephanie was the first one in the room and she didn’t hesitate as she jumped on the bed with me and crawled over to look at her new cousin.

“Avery, meet your cousin Stephanie.” I said to the new born. I looked at Stephanie who had a smile on her face. “Steph, meet Avery.”

“She’s pretty Aunt Mandy.” She looked up at me with a small smile. “Can I kiss her?”

I smiled at my niece, “Of course you can, just be gentle.” She nodded and leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on Avery’s forehead. I heard the distinct sound of a camera click and looked to see Taylor snapping a picture of her daughter. “Tay, you want to hold her?” I asked my sister.

She smiled and nodded walking over to the bed, I handed the baby over and laid my head on Jordan’s shoulder. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed my forehead as we watched Avery get passed between her aunt and Taylor. After about an hour a nurse came into the room to take Avery to the nursery for a while. Sidney’s sister left after she got her chance to hold the baby because she had class. My sister left soon after that because both kids were getting restless and I knew she had to be tired. Leaving Jordan and I alone. He laid down next to me and wrapped his arms around me, placing a kiss on my neck.

“I love you, so much Mandy. I’m glad I made it on time.” He whispered.

“I was going to kill you if you didn’t” I chuckled, yawning.

He chuckled as well. “Sleep, you need the rest. I’ll be here when you wake up.”

“Call our parents.” I told him before falling asleep.

***

Later that evening, Jordan and I were watching the Penguins game while Avery slept in my arms.

“You are probably wondering where Jordan Staal is tonight?” Bob Errey said to know one in particular.
“Staalsy is not at the game today, he is a healthy scratch because his fiancée Mandy went into the labor early this morning and Jordan flew back to Pittsburgh to be with her.” Paul Steigawald added.

“Right you are Steigy. Mandy and Jordan welcomed their daughter, Avery Michelle Staal, into the world at six thirty this morning. Welcome to the Penguins family Avery.”

The two of them started rambling about the Staal family and the third generation. I looked down at our daughter and smiled and looked at Jordan who was smiling as well. All the fears I had about being a mother months ago flew out of the window the minute Avery was in this world. I knew that I could handle it and I knew Jordan could too. We were ready for this. I looked at Jordan again and leaned forward and kissed him.

“Did you ever think we’d be here?” I asked quietly.

He looked at me and down at Avery and back at me before answering. “If you asked me that six years ago, my answer would have been no. I would have never even thought about having kids let alone getting married. I wasn’t ready for that. Now, yes I knew we would be here eventually. I knew since the first time you came to Thunder Bay, I was in love with you and you were the one I wanted to spend my life with.” He kissed the top of my head. “What about you?”

I shook my head. “Nope. I thought that after you came to Taylor’s graduation party that was going to be the last time I saw you. Also I never expected to get pregnant and let’s face it, I didn’t want kids all that much, but now that she’s here and in my arms I couldn’t be more excited to be a mom.” I looked up at Jordan and smiled. “I can’t wait to be your wife and together we can raise our little girl.”

Jordan smiled and kissed me. “I can’t wait for you to be my wife either.”

We snuggled together the best we could on the small bed and watched the Penguins beat the Capitals in their final regular season match up. Jordan was in a good mood, but I’m sure not even a loss could have brought him down. Avery went back to the nursery and I made Jordan go home to get some real sleep. Reluctantly he left and I checked my phone before going to sleep. I saw that I had a few text messages, but the one I opened was from Sidney.

We won that one for little Avery. Expect a visit tomorrow. Love you

I smiled and responded to Sidney before drifting off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited