Status: Complete

Accidentally In Love

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Jordan left Mandy in her room after being forced to go home and sleep by none other than Mandy. He hailed a cab since he came straight from the airport. He got in and laid his head against the cool window and opened his phone. He smiled down at his new background of Mandy holding Avery with the biggest smile on her face.

“Congratulations.” The cab driver said causing Jordan to look up at him in the rear view mirror.

“Thank you.” He smiled

The ride was quick and quiet, just what Jordan wanted by this point. The cab driver waved the fare for Jordan as a congratulations on Avery’s birth. When he got inside, Jordan went straight to Avery’s nursery and looked around. He was a dad. He had a daughter. He grabbed the car seat and a blanket from the room before taking them out to the living room so he wouldn’t forget them when he went back to the hospital to see Mandy and Avery.

Jordan quickly showered and then called their parents before lying in bed. He opened his phone and looked at the picture of Mandy and Avery as everything from the morning came back to him.
Jordan knew something was wrong when his phone rang for the second time that night. He looked at the standard alarm clock the hotel had and saw that it was three in the morning. There was only one person and one reason why they would be calling at this hour.

“Hello? He answered trying to wake up.

“Hey, you know I wouldn’t wake you up if this wasn’t important, but I, uh, thought I should let you know that I’m going into labor.”

That woke him up.” What?” He said, a bit loudly. He glanced at Kris who was still asleep “Are you sure?”

“I am, I woke up about five minutes ago and my water broke. We knew this was going to happen.”

“Why is he so stubborn? I told him he had to wait until at least tomorrow night.” He chuckled. Jordan was determined they were having a boy.

“He’s a Staal.” Mandy laughed, but then groaned in pain.

Jordan sat up in bed. “Man, are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, just a contraction.” She panted. Jordan heard some movement on the other line and he figured Taylor had shown up to take her to the hospital. It was times like this when he was happy Mandy had her sister so close. Jordan heard the sound of a door closing and a tiny voice speak up.

“Is it time for my cousin?” Stephanie asked, something she had been doing for a while now.

Jordan heard Mandy chuckle and he was happy that she wasn’t in too much pain just yet. “Yes it is Steph.”

“Steph is there?” Jordan asked with a smile. “Let me talk to her.”

“Steph, you awake enough to talk to Jordan?”

Jordan didn’t hear the little girl’s reply, but then she was on the line so he got his answer. He made the five year old promise to keep an eye on Mandy and her cousin until he was able to get there. While he was talking to the little girl he slipped into his sweats and made his way to Dan’s room.

“Hey.” Mandy whispered, when Jordan told Stephanie to give the phone back to her aunt.

“I’m heading to Dan’s room now. I’m getting on the quickest flight back home as I can. I’m not missing this.” He said as soon as she got back on the phone. He needed her to know that he was going to be there for the birth of their child. There was no way he was going to miss this, even if he got fined for skipping the game.

“Please hurry Jordy, I want you.” Mandy whispered.

Hearing her so upset broke his heart. Why did this have to happen when they were on the road? Why couldn‘t he be there? “I know, baby. I’m going to go talk to Dan. I’ll keep you updated on everything okay.”

“Okay, I love you.”

“I love you too, baby. You’ll be fine.”

“I hope so.” she whispered.

“You will be.” he reassured her.

As soon as they hung up, Jordan knocked on Dan’s door. He waited impatiently for his coach to open the door and when he did the look he gave Jordan was one that he doesn’t want to see again.

“What’s going on Jordan?” He asked, sleep still evident in his voice.

“Mandy just called me…she went into labor. I was wondering if I could go home.”

Dan smiled at the center. “You will be a healthy scratch for the game. Get home to your fiancée and tell her we are thinking about her.”

Jordan smiled. “Thank you, Dan.”

He returned the smile. “Don’t mention it Staalsy and congratulations. I expect to see pictures of the little one.”

“You got it.”

Jordan quickly made his way back to his hotel room and threw his suit into his bag before zipping it up. He double checked to make sure he had everything and made his way outside to get a cab. Once he flagged down a cab he called the airport and got the earliest flight back to Pittsburgh. Once he had a ticket he sent a text to Sidney.

Not playing tonight. Heading home, Mandy went into labor. Good luck out there.

The next text he sent was to his brothers and then he made sure to call Taylor.

“Hey Jordy, she just fell asleep.” She said as soon as she answered. “You still have plenty of time to get here.” She paused for a second. “Please tell me you’re coming home.”

“I am, I’m on the way to the airport now. I’m a healthy scratch tonight. I’ll be there as soon as I can. Tell her to hold off as soon as she can.”

Taylor chuckled. “Jordan, that’s like telling Sidney to skip something on game day. Not gunna happen, but I’ll try my best.”

“That’s all I ask. I’ll see you when I get there.”

“Hurry, Jordan.”

“I will.”

By the time Jordan finished with texts and phone calls, he made it to the airport. The plane ride to Pittsburgh was the longest flight of his life. The entire time he was praying that he would make it there in time, that he wouldn’t miss the most important day of their lives because he was thirty thousand feet in the air. Three hours later the plane touched down and Jordan was already on his feet waiting for the cabin door to open. He was the first one out and he ran through the empty airport and hopped into the first cab he saw. He turned his phone back on and saw that his mom, brothers, and Sidney had all responded. He quickly responded to his mom’s before sending one to Taylor telling him he was leaving the airport.

The ride to the airport was just as long and agonizing as the plane ride from DC. When he arrived at the hospital he practically ran to the maternity ward, the nurse on duty simply looked up and rattled off Mandy’s room number. As he was walking down the hallway he could hear the doctor talking to her and she was being her normal smartass, sarcastic self. Then his phone rang and it took all his might not to laugh at her as she scolded him.

“Jordan Lee Staal, you better be fucking close to this hospital because I don’t know how much longer your damn child is going to wait.”

Jordan bit his tongue and walked into the door way of her room. “How’s this?” He asked, slipping his phone into his pocket. He took one look at her and knew she had been having a rough morning. He teased her about it and she took it like a champ. Twenty painful minutes later, Jordan was cutting the cord to their beautiful baby girl. It was that moment that Jordan’s life changed once again.


He closed his phone and hugged Mandy’s pillow, sleep taking over his body. His adrenaline rush from the morning and the tiny nap he had in the hospital were the only things keeping him running all day. He needed sleep and sleep is what he did.

The next morning Jordan woke up and packed a bag for Mandy and put some things in it for Avery before jumping in the shower. When he was done with his shower he went to the hospital, but not before stopping for breakfast for himself and Mandy. When he arrived at the hospital, he noticed there were people in Mandy’s room. When he walked in he saw Nathan and Kathy Samules talking with their daughter.

“Good morning everyone.” He said walking into the room. “If I would have known you two would have been here I would have gotten you something as well.” He said holding up the bag of food.

Kathy waved him off. “Don’t worry about it, we ate already.” She smiled and walked over to him. “So Jordan, how does it feel to be a dad?”

Jordan smiled. “It feels great. It took a little while to sink in after she was born, but now I couldn’t be any happier.”

Nathan chuckled. “I know what you mean. It’s a great feeling though.”

“Giving birth on the other hand, not a great feeling.” Mandy chimed in from the bed, causing the group of people to laugh.

Jordan walked over to her bedside and kissed Mandy. He noticed that she had changed into sweats and a Penguins shirt. “How does breakfast sound?” he asked, holding up the bag.

“Amazing.” She all but groaned.

As the two of them ate breakfast, they chatted with Mandy’s parents. Once Mandy and Jordan finished breakfast, he went in search of a doctor or nurse to see if they could bring Avery to the room to meet her grandparents. While he was waiting for someone to come to his aid, he heard an all too familiar voice come up next to him.

“Jordy!”

Jordan cringed and turned to the girl next to him. “Heather, hi.”

“What are you doing here? Is everything okay?” She asked, placing a hand on his arm.

Jordan cleared his throat and took a step away from her. “Everything’s great. My fiancée just gave birth last night. I’m just waiting for someone to let me know if they could bring Avery to the room to meet her grandparents.”

Jordan watched as her smile faltered. “I can do that for you. What room are you in?” She waved Jordan off. “Never mind, it’ll be on Avery’s chart. I’ll bring her right to you guys.” Then she walked away.

Jordan heaved a sigh before heading back to their room. When he walked in Mandy gave him a look but he just waved it off. Then Heather came in pushing Avery’s bassinet.

“Hello everyone.” She smiled and rolled Avery up to Mandy’s bedside. “If you need anything, just come get me.” She walked out of the room.

Mandy looked from the door where Heather just walked out of and back to Jordan. “Was that..?”

He sighed and nodded before kissing her forehead. “Yes, but there is nothing to worry about.” He whispered. “Remember the reason we are here.”

She nodded and got out of bed, picking up Avery. “Good morning, baby. How was your first night?” She asked.

“Mandy, she’s beautiful.” Nathan gushed over his newest granddaughter. “Jordan, she has your eyes.”

“She does and I hope she keeps them.” Mandy admitted.

“She’s going to be a heart breaker when she gets older.” Kathy smiled and Jordan groaned.

Mandy handed their daughter over to her parents and watched them interact. Sometime later there was a commotion in the hallway while Mandy and Avery were napping. Jordan got out of his seat next to Avery and went to investigate. Standing at the nurses’ station was a group of three guys all with balloons and teddy bears in their hands. Jordan smiled to himself and went over to them.

“Heather, they’re fine.” Jordan said, gaining the attention of his friends. Jordan turned to Sidney and smiled. “Great game last night.”

Sidney chuckled and hugged Jordan. “Forget the game, congrats on being a daddy.”

Jordan blushed slightly. “Thanks. You guys are more than welcome to come into the room, just be quite because the baby is sleeping and when I left Mandy was too.”

Kris stepped up. “We can come back later.”

“No, it’s fine. Plus they are going home later.” He smiled.

The group of men followed Jordan into the room and placed their load around Mandy. Sidney said hello to his in-laws and reintroduced Kris and Marc-Andre to them. Sidney slowly made is way over to Avery and with a glance at Jordan, picked her up. If Jordan had not seen Sidney with his own kids, the sight before him would be comical. Avery looked so tiny in his hands, but he knew she was safe there. Sidney passed the still sleeping baby to Kris who was a little scared to hold her, but with a little coaching from Kathy and Sidney, he was fine.

The group chatted quietly as to not disturb the sleeping baby and mother, but soon Mandy woke up and smiled at her friends. Sidney was the first to congratulate her.

“She’s beautiful, Man. You did good.” He teased.

“I had some help.” She smiled and winked at Jordan.

“Staalsy, you are going to have to beat the boys off with hockey sticks when she gets older.” Marc-Andre teased.

“I hope just because you said that you and Vero end up having a girl.”

The group chuckled and began talking about the game and the life ahead for Jordan and Mandy with little baby Avery. When noon rolled around, Sidney left and took Kathy and Nathan to his place so they could visit with their other grandkids and Taylor.

“Knock, knock.” Dr. Lopez said walking into the room. “Ah, I see we have a full house today.” He smiled at Kris and Marc-Andre.

“Just missed my parents and brother-in-law.” Mandy stated as she fed Avery, which made Jordan’s friends quite uncomfortable.

“I saw Sidney, but I must have not seen your parents. How do you feel today?”

“I feel good a bit sore, but I’m doing well.”

“That’s good news and I have some news for you. You and Avery can go home today. You are both doing well so there is no need to keep you here any longer.”

Mandy smiled. “That’s great. Can’t wait to sleep in my own bed.” She chuckled.

Dr. Lopez nodded. “Most people say that. I’ll go start your discharge papers.”

Mandy turned to Jordan and smiled which he gladly returned. Kris and Marc-Andre left saying that they want the new parents to move their little girl home without the extra company. An hour later the new family was on their way home. Jordan and Mandy put Avery in her new room and sat on the couch.

“I cannot believe we just brought home our daughter.” Mandy gushed, resting her head on Jordan’s shoulder.

He chuckled and kissed the top of her head. “Me either.” He said quietly. “I love you Mandy.”

She leaned up and kissed him. “I love you too, Jordan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited