Ebsylyn-Jane Hart

First day and Week of School

I woke to the whine of my alarm clock I grabbed my new clothes out of the wardrobe and got ready. snatched my bag and pencil case off my locker, to leave for school.
I got down stairs James had warned everyone about last night but somehow I was okay. I nabbed a slice of his marmite toast as we crossed on the stairs and turned round to go to the kitchen grabbed my money and lunch off the side.
I was about to leave when I realised I didn’t know where I was going.
Dad ran in and said “Sorry, alarm wasn’t set. forgot to tell you I'm dropping you off then you’re getting the bus back, Ebsylyn” he panted
“Daaad! its Ebsy.” My mum and dad nearly always call me Ebsylyn or Ebsylyn-Jane which is my full name. My brothers and everyone used to call me EJ like tom did but I always preferred Ebsy which is what my Nan called me.
We drove 2 miles to Hamden high “it was the only school on the way to work. Ebsylyn is that okay?” said dad worried obviously about the mood they all expected to burst out of me.
I could see he wasn’t going to catch on with the name thing so I just said “it’s great I get to spend time with you on a morning”
We got there just before the buses he gave me an extra ten dollars and said “I’ll see you to night Ebsy.” I got out the car. He was catching on.
“bye dad. Oh can I do my driving test soon?” I asked hopeful
“we’ll talk Ebsylyn.” He then smiled and drove off.

School
I stepped back in awe at the 3 story high, High School. It was humongous compared to my old school in London (England).
I walked to the office labelled reception and signed in I got a welcome pack filled with my time table, book list and everything I’d need for this year. My time table said

English 132 7:31 - 8:16
Art 243 8:20 - 9:05
Maths 89 9:09 – 9:45
Break 9:45 – 9:55
Chemistry 100 10:00 - 10:43
PE Hall 10:48 - 11:32
Biology 102 11:36 - 12:10
Lunch 12:10 – 1:00
Physics 104 1:00 - 2:10
America history 200 2:14 - 3:00
Cheerleading Dinner room. 3:30 – 5:00

My dad had signed me up for cheerleading !

I made it to English just as the bell went.
Mr Meagre took my name and made me sit next to Dana Roberts (who I found out later was the head cheerleader) then asked me “you know Chaucer” while he was handing out books. I didn’t understand the question so I said “You mean do I know any Chaucer? if that was your question, then yes I’ve read Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales in class.”
His face screwed up and went red “Get. Out. Now!” he bawled in my face making each word stand alone.
I left the room in disgrace.
The bell went for second and I left for art in room 243 where I met Miss “Innovative” when I walked in 2 minutes late she said in a tone as light as a feather “Ah, you must be Miss Hart I am Rachel Innova or as my students and fellow art critics call me Miss Innovative , in this room you creative spirit will be nurtured. None of that writing crap about artists, except for homework of course but you will chose who to study.” She smiled warmly I smiled back. Then she cackled hoarsely “you should know better Miss Hart. Never be late to my lessons Ever! Go sit and write about Van Gogh I want one hundred and fifty words before the bell.” I went and sat opposite another girl who had nobody else on her table. As soon as bitch left she leant over and said “Innova is a cow, she failed her drama exam and got left with art as her only qualification, so, she uses it against us. Her favourite prey is the freshmen in the 9th , but her ultimate prey is the new kid in the upper who should know better.” She nodded at me “ Oh and don’t call her Miss Innovative that really pisses her off.” I nodded thankful for the advice, the girl then carried on “ Oh and Mr Meagre’s wife just left him. She was a limey just like you so watch out.”
“Wait is that why he screamed? And like me how?” I asked angered
“no he’s always that angry...” said art-girl. then Innova walked in and the class went quiet again . I had written two hundred words when the bell went so I very tiredly walked in to maths and guess what it was Algebra and Pythagoras’ theorem. The maths teacher made no sense. E.g. 2S + 7H = Sq/ 6Q
I then trudged to chemistry -what is a chemical compound?.
Ran to PE football like rugby!
And dragged myself slowly to biology- the body produces how much waste a year?.

Finally it was lunch I walked into the 4000 capacity dining hall I had my own lunch in my bag so I went and sat at an empty corner table. I was about to bite in to my soggy congealed egg cress sandwich when a guy with auburn hair came over and said “Unless you want to die new girl I’d move it if I was you.”
“huh,” was my very smart and attractive reply when he grabbed me by the arm, scooped up my lunch and dragged me to his table just in time before Dana Roberts and her posse sat down.
“That's what your huh’ing about , that's their seat , the way we sit is like this new girl...” he looked at me inquisitively.
“Ebsylyn-Jane Hart. Ebsy” I swallowed .
“Nice to meet you Ebsy, the seating goes like this to the right “nerds”, “fashionistas”, “ book worms ,not to be confused with nerds”, further right “ Emo”, “Goths” and “the probbies” ...,”
“Probbies?” I replied confused, I’d never heard of them before,
“Probbies are the people who couldn’t stay in their original cliques, for reasons like ....” he then did quote marks, “Fashion disasters.” oh they were clique crossers.
“we called them the individuals at my school in London.” I replied matter of factly taking a bite of my distressed sandwich.
“Oh, Benji you already met her,” art girl sighed sadly realising as she sat down “ain’t her accent sweet?”
“Benji?”I whispered checking if that was his name.
“Benjamin. I'm called Benjamin Ardley not Benji, I'm Ben, my mom called me Benji. She left the other year.” he Speedily told me.
“he don’t like to talk about it , I'm Canny by the way “ smiled Canny.
I smiled a sickly sweet smile back .
“So Ben she’s a limey ...” canny prompted
I fumed “I’m not a limey!”
“She doesn't mean it horribly , she just means you’re one of us.” Ben said politely
“One of you?” I queried
“yeah canny moved here 2 years ago and me a year ago when I came to live with my dad. Were all limeys at this table after 3 years you can join a clique.”
I just gave him a puzzled look
“Let’s move on. So Hamden high is different to schools in the UK as we start at 820 and end at 210 ....” canny informed me politely
“what. No I finish at 5 pm.”I blurted
“let’s see your time table ...You took 3 electives! No wonder English on a morning, American history and cheerleading!”
“I took three electives.” I groaned and put my head on the table dramatically but it landed into something cold and squishy. I looked up as a boy with a black mop of hair sat down
“ That's egg-selent” he laughed as I wiped my head
“no that's egg salad and she's Ebsy.” canny smirked “this is my...”
“I'm her twin Noah aren't I Catherine.” Noah smirked back “only joking I'm her brother and legal guardian. Plus I'm training to be a teacher, I'm six years older and in my first year at Uni ...” Noah laughed at the fact I thought them twins.
“online Uni” canny huffed
“only coz I'm looking after you.” Noah reminded “so you’re the girl who got Meagre and Innova mad?”
“No Meagre hates limeys and Innova is an over dramatic ...”
“what am I miss Hart?”a noise sounded behind me as miss “Innovative” sat on my right .
“Rachel were you scaring the new kids again?” Noah joked
“Hi I'm Rachel Innova,” she giggled “ I'm on the same course as Noah sorry about the shouting its only because many people chose art as they think it’s easy” she shrugged.
“Rachel got an GCSE in art a two years early. She's an ex limey” laughed Ben who obviously finished his lunch and was infatuated with Innova.
Canny nudged him “Stop drooling nimrod!” she grunted under her voice.
I giggled. Then sighed to myself “Oh genie would love this!”
Everyone on the table turned and stared “ Genie is ....” she wasn’t my friend but... “some girl who I knew in London.” I started to tear up
“hey babes you can still be friends overseas...” soothed Rachel passing a tissue.
“I don’t think so. she and tom have got together I have only been gone two weeks...” I mumbled just loud enough for the five of us.
“I'm guessing Toms your boyfriend.” Replied Canny
“yeah first real boyfriend of nine monthish ending last night,” I nearly sobbed but the bell went the boys disposed of our rubbish and we ran to the 3rd floor bathroom opposite homeroom to tidy our selves.
The warning bell went for physics so we swapped digits and decided to leave it till tomorrow .
I liked physics. Gravity experiments. 
I skipped to AH (American history) which Noah was teaching. The halls were quite empty.
 Boston tea party (research)
I then ran to the locker room and changed into the cheerleading costume I had been lent for try outs.
I then walked in to the cleared hall with mats, trampolines, etc.
Tryoutees had to do cart wheels then climb the tower and jump on the trampoline do a flip and land. I walked straight back out.
Got changed in to my joggers and went for a run around the circuit.
Coach Weaver had finished tryouts so it was free. I jogged the 100 metre then sprinted it , stretched and ran the 400 in 5 minutes 45 seconds. I loved running then to cool down jogged slowly back to the lockers. Grabbed my bag and went for the bus but I just missed it. So I plugged my mp3 in and jogged home.
I had dinner and then slept silently.
I repeated this pattern for 5 days and when I got home on Friday there was messages on the note pad by the phone.

note one:
Ebsy your dinner is in oven.
Dad and I have gone to the cinema.
The boys are out as well.

note two:
Canny: party at hers 7 30.
67 Pickeret drive Noah will drop you off later.
You can go if you want mum x
09987865434

note three:
Coach Weaver:
Ebsy, do you want to join the athletics team?
Tell him on Monday

I phoned Canny “hey Catherine and Noah” her voice spilt down the phone.
“Hey could Noah pick me up now and as it is a Friday can I stay over?” I asked Canny
“Hey I didn’t think of that ‘course. Ebsy he’ll pick you up in 10 okay .” she smiled down the phone line.