Cowgirl Don't Cry

Tu es belle

Vincent Lecavalier’s revelation of who he was shocked me into silence. It wasn’t everyday that the man you were out to drinks with turned out to be the Assistant Captain of the local NHL team. Vincent stared across the table at me, his forehead wrinkled in concern. Well, at least it all made sense now – the countless stares, the gold number four pendant, the random pause while he was introducing himself and his friend.

“And Brad?” I asked in a soft tone once I found my voice.

“Brad Richards. We’ve been playing together since we were 16 in prep school.” He leaned forward against the table. “Look, it’s not like I lied to you to make a joke about everything, but you have to see where I’m coming from.” His look turned from something of guilt and concern to a look of steely resignation. “I was drafted first overall when I was 18 years old. Girls have always been after me for my money and my status. People are constantly asking for my autograph.” His eyes shifted downward, “I guess that when you didn’t seem to recognize me,” he peered up at me from beneath thick eyelashes, “I wanted you to like me for me, not for my name and my job.” He wrung his hands as he leaned back against the seat in the booth.

My mind whirled as I took in his reasoning behind his lies. It was very easy to see that he was being sincere; he really wasn’t trying to be cruel or to make a fool out of me.

“I guess I kind of understand. I’m really just a person who hates lying.” A flash of Maria saying ‘not every charming, good looking guy is Jake...’ “But I do see where you’re coming from.” He shot me a tentative smile from across the table.

“I really am sorry. I’m not one to lie. But I really have had a hard time getting to know girls without them being after Vincent Lecavalier the famous hockey player, not Vincent Lecavalier the Quebec boy who enjoys golf and fishing.” I smiled back and nodded.

“I really do understand Vincent.” He grinned, but his grin faded as he saw the serious look on my face. “But I’m a small town girl. I don’t like the spotlight and crowds. I enjoy my privacy. And I assume you don’t get too much of that.” He shook his head and looked me in the eye.

“But it’s not always crazy. And I do love my fans. They mean well. And most of the time, when I’m out, like we are now, people let me alone, because they respect the fact that I have a personal life outside of my hockey career. Are there crazy people? Of course, but I deal with them as they come.” His eyes shifted uneasily and he reached across the table to tuck a strand of my hair behind me ear. “But Sydney, I’d really like to get to know you.”

I blushed at his words and smiled tentatively.

“I would like that too. But I should probably head home, I have to be up early tomorrow to go riding.” I smiled at him and slid out of the booth, waiting while he too slid out.

“I’ll get you a cab. “ We headed outside and I waited as he flagged down a cab. He handed the cab his credit card, I assume to pre pay my cab ride home, and as I moved to slide into the cab he wrapped me in a hug and kissed my cheek. “I had a lot of fun tonight Sydney. Expect a call from me tomorrow.” I smiled at him and squeezed his arm.

“I look forward to it.” I slid into the cab and waved, noticing that he waited until I had pulled away before hopping into a second cab. I relaxed into the seat of the car, concern etched in my features. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to get to know Vincent, I really did – I liked what I knew about him and really had enjoyed myself tonight – but I was concerned with how it would work. He was a famous professional athlete; he could have any girl he wanted, why would he want me? And would we ever have any privacy? He swears that people respected his personal life, but I really had a hard time believing that. And the jersey chasers? I had seen those girls in action many times in college, I really didn’t want to have to deal with them personally, and I didn’t know if I had the ability to trust a man enough to know that he would turn down those girls when they threw themselves at him.

By the time I got back to my apartment I had thought of a thousand reasons why I shouldn’t ever see Vincent Lecavalier again, but something told me that by the time I fell asleep that night, I would have a thousand and one reasons as to why I should.

- - -

Six came about extremely early the next morning, and I rolled over and hit snooze not just once, but twice. Something I almost never do. By the time I finally rolled out of bed I had to rush through brushing my teeth and changing into my riding pants and boots. My rides were long and relaxing, and I was only gone from the apartment for a few hours.

Maria was just waking up when I got back to my apartment. I chatted with her amicably for a few minutes and hopped into the shower, readying myself for a full day of studying. Medical school was much tougher than I had imagined it to be. I had always thought that it wouldn’t be much more difficult than getting my undergraduate degree had been, but boy was I wrong.

- - -

A sharp ringing broke me out of my studying zone. I looked at the clock above my desk and sighed. I had been studying for 6 hours straight. I smiled as Vincent Smith flashed on the screen.

“Hello?” I giggled slightly as I answered, finding it quite amusing that I hadn’t changed his name from Vincent Smith to Vincent Lecavalier yet.

Hey Sydney, it’s Vincent. What’s so funny? I smiled and moved from my desk chair over to my bed, sprawling out across it to be more comfortable.

“Oh nothing, I just still have you in my phone as Vincent Smith. Probably should change that.” I laughed again as he groaned.

Sorry again about that. How are you?

“I’m good, I’ve been studying all day. How are you?”

Ouch, I can’t remember the last time I had to study. Actually, I don’t think I ever studied. I wasn’t much of a student. But I’m good. Skated for a while today, training camp starts in two weeks, so I need to be in shape, ya know? I smiled as he talked, I could tell he really loved what he did.

“Yeah, studying isn’t much fun, but I think it’ll be worth it in the long run. And yeah, I understand about being in shape. I conditioned my horses this morning, we have a show in Ocala in two weeks.”

Oh that’s cool! Well, I was calling to see if you were free Wednesday night? Maybe we could do dinner and go out for drinks? I smiled and grabbed my calendar off of my desk.

“Yeah, I’m free. That’ll be fun!”

Okay, I’ll pick you up at 6 on Wednesday then. I smiled and wrote it down.

“Sounds good. See you then.” We said our goodbyes and hung up. It was a quick conversation, but I was impressed that he called so soon after our trip to the bars the night before.

- - -

I got up from the bed and wandered into the living room, where Maria was asleep with her face in a textbook.

“Maria! Wake up girl.” She jumped up and looked around sleepily.

“Ugh, I must’ve just fallen asleep.” She grinned at me sheepishly. “It’s this damn anatomy and physiology. It’s so boring.” We chuckled and I shrugged, deciding to forgo the fact that Anatomy was my favorite class this semester. I was fascinated with how the different body systems worked.

“Do you wanna go grab some food? I thought I’d go get some Chinese and then head to the library for the rest of the night.” She waved a hand at me.

“Nah, you go ahead, I’m gunna just stay in tonight. I think David’s bringing me a sub anyways.” I nodded and grabbed my backpack and keys.

“Alrighty, I’ll see ya later.” I waved as I left the apartment and headed down to my black Toyota Tundra truck. I absolutely loved the truck I had gotten from my parents as a graduation gift. The past year had been horrific, and the fact that I had gotten into a good medical school and successfully graduated from the College of Biological Sciences, the University of Minnesota’s most difficult college, with a degree in Genetics, Cellular Biology and Development was outstanding.

- - -

After quickly gobbling down a quick meal of orange chicken and fried rice I arrived at the main library on campus. I had donned a maroon and gold Minnesota Equestrian sweatshirt because the libraries were kept frigid in an effort to keep students from falling asleep. The medical school section of the library was packed, par norm, and there were no free seats except for a single seat secluded from everyone else across from a blonde boy vigorously scribbling away at a notebook while staring at his laptop. I leaned down over the opposite end of the small table, waving my hand slightly and smiling to get his attention.

“Hey, do you mind if I sit here? It’s full everywhere else.” The boy’s eyes lifted to meet mine and I held back a gasp. He had the faintest blue eyes I had ever seen, they were simply stunning, and he blinked rapidly before smiling and nodding towards the seat.

“Feel free. Yeah, I think the first years have their first big test coming up, and with clinicals I know we’re all always here.” He gestured around and shrugged.

“Oh, I’m actually a first year. And yeah, we have an Anatomy test on Wednesday. “ I grinned at his shocked expression. “So you’re a third or fourth year?”

“Fourth year. One year left. I’m so ready to be done. I feel like I’ve been in school for forever.” He scowled and shrugged. “Well, I guess technically I have.” He paused for a second, glancing back down at his notes before turning his eyes back to me as I hauled my large Anatomy textbook and notebook out of my bag and flipped open to the page I had been working on back at home. “I’m Derick, Derick Sevard.” He reached his hand out across the small table.

“Sydney Maestro. So, Dr. Sevard, where are you from? Where did you go to undergrad at?” I winked at him at the mention of him becoming a doctor in the near future, and a slight pink hue flushed his cheeks.

“I’m from Birmingham, Alabama, and I went to Bama for undergrad. Roll tide!” He winked back and I finally registered his sweet southern accent. “And yourself?”

“Pensacola, Florida. But I went to Minnesota for undergrad. Go figure.” I grinned as he shook his head. I motioned to my textbook and he nodded, motioning in turn to his laptop. “Time to get to work.” He nodded again and smiled.

The rest of the night flew by, as my new friend and I simultaneously studied away for our respective subjects. At around midnight Derick began to pack up his laptop and notebook, rubbing his eyes wearily.

“Well Sydney, sorry to leave ya, but I have to be at the hospital at six, so I should probably head on home to go to bed. But I’ll be here tomorrow night, so maybe I will see you then. “ He flashes a smile, causing me to notice his perfect teeth and white dazzling smile, outlined by thin red lips. He was a handsome man, that was not debatable. And those eyes!

“Hopefully! I’ll be here for sure.” I waved as he departed, once again burying my nose into my textbook. I was down to my last chapter to re-read and re-take notes on, and I was planning on finishing it before heading home for the night.

- - -

It was two in the morning by the time I pulled into my designated parking space at my apartment complex. I had finally finished that last chapter, and had sleepily lugged my backpack and myself out to my truck before beginning the ten-minute drive home. I was extremely thankful that my first class in the morning wasn’t until noon, so I would be able to get a full eight hours of sleep before going to class and then out to the stables.

As I readied for bed I thought about the handsome man I had met tonight. It seemed that good looking, successful men were simply milling around this city – definitely something that I could get used to. I attempted to imagine the type of normalcy that would come with dating one of my fellow medical school students as I desperately tried to fall asleep. But the only picture that remained behind my eyes as I finally drifted off was the tall, dark eyed, handsome hockey player I had met this past weekend. Oh boy was I in for some trouble.

- - -

The next two days didn’t go exactly as I planned. Instead of getting to the library to study, and meet up with Derick, I ended up spending the entire afternoon and night at the vets office, getting Tie stitched up from where he had somehow cut his flank while in the paddock, leaving me very little time to study that night. The next day was spent completely in the library after class was out, but I never did see Derick. The good news was that I was ready to dominate my test Wednesday morning – which I did.

I had just collapsed onto my bed for a little post-test nap when my phone buzzed on my bedside table.

Get all dressed up tonight, I got reservations at this nice restaurant on the harbor. See you at six.

I groaned at his text. I really wasn’t a ‘get dressed up’ kind of girl, but I guess it may be fun. My mind shifted to the vision of Vincent in a suit. Now that was going to be the big perk!

I allowed myself the luxury of napping for a few hours before hopping up to jump in the shower and getting ready for my pending date with the big shot hockey player. I ended up decked out in a short, strapless, black dress and silver heels, with my hair dried pin straight. Instead of leaving my makeup as natural last time I saw the handsome man, I added a grey smoky eye look, which I absolutely loved. I was just finishing up when I heard a knock at the door. Checking my watch I smiled, he was about five minutes early, which, in my mind, was much, much better than five minutes late. I absolutely hated when guys were late, especially for a first date.

Opening the door I was pleasantly surprised to see the tall handsome man holding out a bouquet of sunflowers. I let out a small ‘aww’, and peered up at his face. The breath was nearly knocked out of me as my light brown orbs met his deep, chocolate ones. The saying that the eyes were the window to the soul seemed to be spot on in his case. They were open, honest, and very, very deep, and held a sort of vulnerability that I could only ponder. He wore a black dress pants and shoes, with a white shirt, open at the collar, and a black jacket. His small gold pendant hung outside of his shirt. He was, in the only way to say it, smokin’ hot.

“For me? How did you know I loved sunflowers?” I took the bouquet from him and ushered him into the quaint apartment. I busied myself getting a vase and filling it with water while Vincent sat down on the couch and thumbed through my photo album.

“Who’s this?” I came over and looked over his shoulder to see a picture of me holding the lead of Tie laughing while looking up at a young man sitting atop the black gelding. I groaned, I totally had forgotten that that picture was still in the album.

“Um, my ex. I guess I forgot it was still in this album.” I watched as he closed the album and looked up at me.

“No worries. You look beautiful by the way, are you ready to go?” He smiled and stood, taking my hand when I blushed and nodded.

“I am. You look pretty great yourself Mr. Lecavalier.” He grinned and tugged me forward, allowing me to grab my purse on our way out of the door.

- - -

“Reservation for Lecavalier.” Vincent smiled at me as he said this to the hostess at the front of the swanky restaurant on the harbor in downtown Tampa. It looked to me as if this girl new exactly who she was, as she was practically swooning at the sight of my date. I grinned at the girl and she mouthed ‘lucky!’ to me. I giggled and Vincent raised his eyebrows at me in question.

“Oh nothing! Don’t worry about it.” I smiled up at him and patted his chest affectionately. We followed the hostess towards the back of the restaurant.

“I hope this is okay. It was written down to seat you as secluded as possible.” The hostess, a girl no more than 18 years old, glanced at Vincent before looking at the ground.

“Oh no this is perfect. Thank you.” Vincent pulled my chair out for me and I tilted my head and thanked him quietly as he slipped around to his side of the table. The view out the window was spectacular. With the sun just beginning to set we had an unobstructed view of the sunset over the bay. “Great view huh?” He followed my eyes out over the bay.

“Yeah it’s beautiful. Reminds me of home.” I turned my focus back to the man sitting across from me. “My parents have a house overlooking the intercoastal up in Pensacola. The sunsets there are phenomenal.” Vincent lifted his eyes to mine and smiled, and I felt my stomach flip over anxiously. I returned the smile and placed my hand on the table in front of me, scanning a menu that the hostess had left. A man hadn’t given me butterflies since I first started dating my ex, and that was a very long time ago.

“I bet that is great. I love sunsets here. There is nothing prettier in my mind.” The waitress appeared and he turned to her, “may we have a bottle of Riesling please?” She nodded and darted off. “So when did you end things with your ex boyfriend.” I gulped at that question and shifted uncomfortably in my chair. He took notice and touched my hand comfortingly. “You don’t have to discuss it if you don’t want to, Sydney.”

“Oh no its fine.” I smiled up at him, breaking eye contact to look down at our hands. “He’s actually my ex-fiancé. And we broke up the summer before last.” Vincent squeezed my hand, causing me to raise my eyes back to his.

“Well it was his loss.” I rolled my eyes at him and giggled, taking a sip of the wine that the waitress had just set down.

I was amazed at how fast dinner flew by. Between the easy, friendly conversation, and the sizzling eye contact that made my heart lurch, I was really enjoying my time with the tall Canadian man. When the waitress laid the check on the table, I reached for my wallet, every intention of paying at least half of the tab.

“Don’t even think about it Syd.” Vincent chuckled and snatched the check off of the table before I could even glance at it. I narrowed my eyes at him jokingly and stuck my wallet back into my purse.

“Fine, but I get to buy our first beers.” He nodded and shrugged in consent.

“Whatever you want mon amour.” I smiled and took his hand when he offered it, pulling me up out of my seat. His hands were rough and large, and they completely engulfed my petite, soft ones. He was the picture of a gentleman, holding the door open, and opening up the car door while I slid inside. As I settled in I rotated my ankles. These stiletto heels were killing my feet. I really couldn’t wait to take them off under the table once we got to the bar.

Vincent drove to the first bar we had been to the other night and quickly rushed around to my door, grabbing my hand to help me out of the swanky sports car. As I stepped out the Frenchman snaked a hand around my waist and pulled me flush against his toned body. I peered up at him from under my mascara-enhanced eyelashes, allowing my hand to rest against his side, steadying myself. I hadn’t realized just how tall Vincent was until just this moment. He had to stand at about six foot four. I couldn’t deny that I had a fetish for obscenely tall men; there was just something about feeling so small in comparison that compelled me. Vincent’s dinner plate sized hands moved up to cup my cheek as he leaned towards my mouth, causing me to tilt my head slightly farther back. His lips brushing against mine softly caused an eruption of butterflies in my stomach, and my knees to want to buckle.

“Tu es belle.” His lips were near my ear as he whispered those words and I almost lost all sense. It was as if he knew exactly what to say, and how to say it, just to cause my blood to boil. Who could really resist a sexy man speaking a foreign language in their ear? If I was honest with myself, at this very moment I wanted to jump his bones, but I refrained and smiled dazedly at the handsome man as he wrapped an arm around my waist and led me into the bar. I was so happy I was almost dizzy. What had I been thinking the other night that this wouldn’t be worth the trouble? He was perfect! Tall, dark, and handsome, intelligent, focused, goal oriented, gentlemanly – the list goes on and on.

We separated just seconds later, me to head to the table in the back, and Vincent to head to the bar to grab us beers. I settled in a table near the back, waiting as he brought back two long necks. Our conversation picked right back up, flirty and fun as we told stories about our past. Every time our eyes locked from across the table a flush would rise on my neck and I would have to break the sizzling contact. He was so attractive it was killer. What on earth was he doing here with me?

A few beers later I had to excuse myself to use the ladies room. The bar now had plenty of people in it, and I had to weave through lots of scantily clad women to reach the women’s restroom. Not seconds after I locked myself in a stall did I hear the clack of heels entering the room.

“Oh my god. I came here because I like heard a Lightning player was here. And I show up and it’s Vinny.” A squeal echoed in the room causing a distained look to grace my face. I decided to wait until these obnoxious jersey chasers to exit the bathroom before I left the stall. “But then I like saw that he was with some ugly like white trash girl. I mean seriously? He could do like soooo much better than her. She’s like all low class looking.” I felt tears welling up in my eyes. Is this how it would be with him? Always being judged by other women? It was like this girl had just stepped on here insecurities. He was too good looking for me. I wasn’t stupid.

“You’re like so right. I saw her. So nasty.” I heard the clack as they exited the bathroom, their voices fading from earshot. I attempted to blink back tears as I exited the restroom, washing my hands quickly. I arrived at the table where we sat and kept my eyes from meeting Vincent’s.

“I think I should head back. I can grab a cab.” I blinked rapidly in an attempt to keep the tears that threatened to fall from my eyes at bay.

“Woah, woah, mon amour, what’s wrong?” He stood up and placed his hand on my back, ushering me out of the bar. I shook my head and slipped into his car. He kept quiet as he drove to my apartment, placing his hand on my arm as I attempted to leave the car without saying anything. “Sydney, can you tell me what is wrong?” I turned my eyes on him, no longer full of tears, now just sad.

“I’m sorry Vincent, I really did have a lovely time tonight.” He raised his eyebrows in confusion.

“Then what is the problem?” I sighed and put my hand on the door.

“I just don’t think I can do this, dating a famous hockey player thing. It just won’t work.” I pulled away from his touch and rushed into my house, leaving the young star with a bewildered and upset expression on his face, wondering what he had done to upset the young object of his affection so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
eeek. i love writing this. I have so much free time on my hands now that college is out.
Comments will determine how fast i get the next chapter up, cuz feedback is just a morale booster :) Lemme know what you think!