‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 1.

I must've fallen asleep ,but it was another dreamless one. I tried to open my eyes ,but they were heavy. My whole body was. I felt heavy and cold. Finally they opened and everything rushed into me. The light, the sounds, the cold metal on my back. Everything came so fast. Then I felt the pain of my burned wings. Tossing and turning, I began to struggle. My wrists were in metal cuffs that were bolted to the table.

"It's useless ,boy," a man said walking to my side.

He traced my bare chest and sighed. He went to his computer and started typing. I froze and stared at him. I was naked ,but my lower half was wrapped in a towel that bound my legs together. He didn't look at me ,but I never took my eyes off him.

"What do you call yourself," he asked me and I stared at him," Answer me ,boy!"

"Human/avian hybrid experiment number 132. I am also called Aaron Knight," I answered listening to the clicking of keys on his laptop," Why?"

"I need to call you something. I bought you after all. You fetch quite a penny," he told me and I glared.

I was sold. My creator and Father sold me? I don't even know where I am. I know I'm cold and hungry. I know my name. I know I am on my own again. I jerk up and spread out my wings, the burned one flapped frantically with the healthy one as I jerk against the cuffs. I felt the metal begin to bend. It started to come apart at the end and slit open my wrists. Just then the man bashed my chest down and knocked the wind out of me. He hit the release button as the cuffs let me up and I rolled onto the floor gasping for air. He touched my wing as my talons came out and I slashed his hand.

"Don't touch me!" I said sharply as he stared.

I struggled to my feet taking in slow deep breaths and ruffled my good wing's feathers. He seemed awed and when I turned my head showing my beak his jaw dropped. It was then he said the words I never wanted to hear. He said: You are the perfect solider.

I narrowed my eyes at his words and walked to the wall resting my head on it. The towel had fallen to the ground leaving my human body exposed. He seemed interested in how I was made. He examined the place where my wings attached to my back and I let him. I needed to think ,but everything seemed everywhere. I couldn't sort my thoughts. I couldn't breathe. No, I could breathe but it didn't feel like it.