‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 15.

Weeks passed on board the ship. They didn't care what happened between me and Willow as long as I jumped on their command, I always did. Willow was treated pretty well I guess. They never raised a hand against her or even gave her a second glance. I thought that until I caught my boss spying on us one night. He doesn't know I saw him ,but I know it was him. She never saw it either ,but the more I think about it the more I notice they've never seen each other either. Funny story, it strikes my curiosity and makes me want to growl in the same three seconds.

"Aaron? You awake?" Willow whispered, as I rolled over facing her.

"Can't sleep?" I whispered, stroking her face lightly with the back of my taloned hand.

"I haven't since you left last year," she told me softly.

"I was scared of them hurting you," I said holding her close to my chest," I still can't forget the pain I saw on your face when they electrocuted you in the labs. That was all my fault. It really was."

"Aaron," she said as I looked at her," It was worth this."

I had to smile at that. I was sore, barely full, and completely exhausted ,but I had to smile. It was so wonderful to have her back. She was my love and only hope. She was my light and worst weak point. She was the key to my anger and my heart. She's all those cheesy romance lines from the stupid movies people watch today.

"I'm glad it was to one of us," I said softly as the door opened and I pulled her close against my chest.

"Raven, it's time to get up," a voice whispered as I moved to a sitting position keeping Willow against my chest ,but shielding her with my wing.

"I need to rest longer then three hours to be able to do this," I said softly ,but then I was jerked out of bed by my free arm.

"Aaron," Willow breathed on the floor with me looking at my boss," That's my dad!"

She got very quiet and her grip tightened on my shirt. I felt my wings open and extend their full length as I got to one of my knees. I knew that wild look the ring burned in my eyes was back as I pulled her to me with my left arm and kept her there as they put the metal on my arms, talons, legs, chest, back, and wings. Once they were done I picked Willow up and ran through the ships halls. Men ran out ,but then a crazy thing happened. Finny caught up to me.

"Hey bud, I'ma clear you a path, get to the deck," he panted as he pulled out a gun.

"Will do. Willow, this is Finny," I introduced them as she held out her hand over my shoulder.

"So you're the girl he cried himself to sleep over. Take care of him for me," he said as I growled.

Finny shot down people in our way as we made it to deck I got to the railing then did something I'd never forget. I froze. I froze staring at the crashing waves, roaring winds, and moon lit sky. I froze thinking it'd only take a few minutes for us to freeze if we fell into the waves. I froze thinking we didn't have a chance at all. I'd be the death of her.

"Go boy! Get out of he-" and like that Finny was shot and killed.

Willow screamed as I turned back to the violent seas, we'd be killed anyways. I wanted to die getting out of here. I jumped down to the sea and opened my wings flying to the clouds. Bullet were fired and it was a miracle we weren't hit. The bigger one was I was in the air. I felt blood on my hand and looked at Willow for an instant. Her arm was shot, okay, the palm of her hand.

"Shit," I breathed and got above the clouds.

She tried not to cry ,but I knew it hurt. Minutes later I was exhausted. I tried my everything to stay in the air ,but I found it hard so I slowly descended from the clouds. We were over Ireland, I think. No, Greenland. I found a decent forest area, thankful the cold slowed the bleeding. I looked at her after I put her down.

"I need to get the bullet out of you," I saw the look on her face and knew what she thought.

"You're going to dig it out of me with your claws," she breathed and I looked down, pulling out my needle and thread.

"It's that or get infected and die of blood poisoning from the lead," I said as her face went white.

"Do what you need to," she said and closed her eyes tight.

I wanted to close my eyes but I didn't. I put her arm under mine, my back to her, and held her hand tight in my human hand. My wings were inside my back for this because I didn't want her to break one if she kicked me. My beak was gone because it interferes with my sight at times and I had to be extremely careful.

"Ready?" I asked.

"No," she answered honestly.

"Sorry then," I breathed and began to dig out the bullet, glad I gave her a rag to put in her mouth.