‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 17.

I felt her struggle in her sleep. We were resting in a cave where a small fire was lit. Just enough to keep us from freezing to death. I looked at her, watching her toss and turn ,but as I looked at her the scream from earlier echoed in my head. Her pain, her struggle, fighting tears, trying not to cry out. I looked away.

"Take it from me, squirt. If they see your in pain they think you need more of it. They like it. Trust me, I've been here for six years," the older kid said as we waiting for our shots and mad "doctors".

"Why?" I asked, still teary eyed from yesterday.

"Because they have no respect for us. We're tinker toys," he told me and I bit my lip.

I couldn't believe my father would think of us like that, it was impossible! I was his
son wasn't I? His pride and joy, his best friend, all those things that were happy. Fishing partners, hunting buddies, and now I was told I'm just a tinker toy. At that point I had no clue he was right.


"Willow...wake up," I told her ask she struggled against me.

She wouldn't wake up, I looked at her and then to the mouth of the cave. There stood the bald man I once called boss. I opened my armored wings and stood over Willow. He pulled out a gun and I lifted Willow up, holding her close to my chest. I folded my wings over her and just stared at him.

"What do you want from us?" I said, tonelessly.

"You and your wings. Her and her body. I want your lives," he said as my grip on her tightened.

"Not happening. You lost the deal when you said her," I turned and walked deeper into the cave.

"This isn't up for debate," he said shooting my kidney as I broke into a run.

My body accelerated as I ran in the heavy armor, pain ripping through me. I felt my blood seeping down my back and my eyes crossed Willow's sleeping form. I had to get to a town. My wings opened in the huge camber at the heart of the cave. I glided up towards the ceiling where a hole was. I felt her waking up as I made it into the sky. My eyes shifted around, he came alone. In relief I sighed gliding to a town. It was a small Irish country side where Finny said his family lived. My eyes shut and I listened closely hearing change clank around in my pocket. It told me I had that twelve hundred dollars and fifty-nine cents in my pocket. I looked at her as her eyes fluttered open. She looked up at me and I smiled some.

"What's going on?" she shouted starting to panic.

"We're finding a place to stay," I whispered.

"Why?" she asked very tense.

"No big reason," I said, closing my eyes as my head started to spin.

We weren't close to any town ,but the blood loss and starvation was knocking me down. I wasn't rested either. My form was failing me. The metal wasn't helping. I had to ditch the bullet proof armor and stop to tend my wound.