‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 19.

“For the next week, we are safe from the FBI. This means…you’re going to be a average teenage boy.” she said and smiled.

I felt a grin begin to grow across my face. I pulled the metal off of me and threw it in a near by river. I stretched my wings then pulled them inside my body as my talons followed, except the ones on my feet. I looked at her then remembered my money. I pulled out two hundred dollars out of my pocket.

"We need new clothes and I need shoes. I'll stay here and see what we've got to work with as to shelter in case something goes bad in town," I told her and kissed her lips softly," Be careful."

I offered her a gun and she shook her head before kissing back and running to the road. I walked to the stream. I tested the water, it was very cold but I was bloody. I couldn't go into town like that. Willow wasn't soaked in blood so she'd have the better chance. That and she knows how to appear human. Bird feet aren't too human.

"Can I be a teenage boy?" I asked myself.

"I think so," a familiar voice said as I turned holding the gun eyes sharp," Easy kid," Finny said holding his hands up.

"Finny?" I asked, tilting my head down lightly.

"Every cat has nine lives," he told me as his feline ears stood up.

His eyes switched to a cat as his claws came out. I stared in disbelief and stepped back slightly, in my mind this was an illusion from exhaustion and hunger ,but I knew it was also reality. He shook his head laughing lightly.

"Kid, you need to relax," he said ruffling my hair causing me to glare up at him before we both bust out laughing.

I guess I was really losing my mind and going into hysterics. I have no clue in all honesty. I was just happy to see someone else who I knew I could just barely trust. He leaned against a tree and sighed lightly. He looked me over then shook his head.

"You're alive by the skin of your teeth. I thought I was a mad man ,but kid, you've got me beat by far," he told me as I looked up at him.

"I was insane the day I escaped my lab. I live cutting it close," I told him washing my body with the cold water.

"No, we both know you could last years alone on the streets. You know you were heartless and ready to sacrifice anyone to get away. I saw you in the ring," when he said that I looked at him from the corner of my eyes," I told you we were tinker toys."

"I'm not in the ring. I'm going to find a way to get free," I said to him.

"That's what makes you a leader. You know what you are, who you are, and why. You have a motive that you'd die standing by. That's why I want in. I know the city, I can give you a place to stay, I can help you around here. I can help you and your girl," he told me, I felt his eyes burning into my back.

"I'll think about it," I told him and closed my eyes lightly.