‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 29.

Climbing through the wind I felt every inch of me seem to flex like one strong muscle. Then everything fell apart. Pain shot through my ribs knocking me out of the air. I opened my wings as wide as they could open using them to slow my fall. I saw Finny waiting below me, just as he went to catch me he was shot down like a rapid dog. Three, four, five shots to the chest and one to the head. Blood seemed to pour out of him making me wonder how I looked. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. The shocks of pain, the bullets flying, the sound of my choked breaths.

"You're pathetic ,Aaron," a voice said as I hit the ground face first.

I closed my eyes and tried not to let them hear my whimpers of pain. They jerked me up and dragged me into the castle as I shut my eyes tight, set my jaw, and tried not to think of all the needles.

Before I really knew it I was strapped down and locked against a table. I felt them digging around inside me but soon I couldn't feel pain at all. I saw a camera being put in my face. They kept saying how perfect I looked. How strong I am. How lucky they got. I didn't find any of it true. They never got lucky, they never were lucky, I wasn't luck. I was a freak of nature.

"You're extraordinary ,Aaron," a voice whispered.

"I have a name now? Wow, impressive," I said hoarsely.

"Your father wanted us to call you Aaron from now on," the voice said to me as I scoffed.

"I have no father," I said and they quit talking to me.

Soon a needle was shoved into my throat. I coughed hoarsely and saw them jerk it out. All my pain was completely gone. Then they began to cut chunks out of my skin and doctor the muscles. I had no clue how they stopped the bleeding. I watched them tend the scars in the tissue and sew the skin together. Piece by piece they tended my whole body. Every little piece of skin and muscle tissue they could get to was tended and mended then recovered by skin that was sew together again. All my old stitches were removed. I was breathing through a tube and left to watch as everything was done to me. It was all I could do. I was now a tinker toy left in the hands of curious humans. I'm fucked