‹ Prequel: Left In The Dark

Into The Light

Chapter 5.

I find myself sitting in the darkness of my room. Only the small fire place keeps light now. The weather is getting bad and we've all been confined within our rooms. It was slightly cold ,but not too cold. I couldn't see my breath now that the fire was lit. My wings cloaked me keeping me warm, the burns weren't that bad now. In fact they were much better and didn't hurt. I still fear my wing falling off.

When someone knocked on my door and walked in my body tensed. Some habits can't be broken. The person was someone I had started to call an ally ,but I wasn't sure yet. He was allot like me just older and more bitter. His ID says his name is Fnick. He told me to calls him Finny. I wasn't going to argue. They call me Raven here, not Aaron. I let it ride since I was in a new area. I was colored like a Raven anyway since my hair is getting darker.

"How you holding up ,Raven?" Finny asked as I looked at him.

"I'm still breathing," I answered as he sat beside me.

"They're talking about shipping us out next month," he told me and I kind of looked at him.

"Anywheres warm?" I asked as he sighed.

"You're only seventeen," he said and my eyes narrowed," You aren't cut out to be a solider. You need to grow up ,kid."

"You don't know me ,Finny," I told him and he looked surprised.

"I know you aren't like the rest of us, I know you have someone out there looking for you, and I know you'll change the world," he said as I looked at him.

Finny was a weird person who could read me like an open book. He was the only human I associated with as well. I was funny about the rest of them. Humans with guns, explosives, knives, and swords. It was a death trap to me and soon I'd be going into more of them. It wasn't my idea of fun ,but I wasn't about to walk away either. I was alone out here and I had no idea where Willow was. I doubt she was even coming.

"I was never like a human," I said as the wind died down and I got dressed.

I was under five layers of clothes that my wings could move easily in. The fabrics were custom made for me. I looked at my burnt wing in the mirror and nodded at my reflection. I looked better then I ever did. I was well fed and muscular. I didn't look like a mutt that was kicked out on the streets and left to die. I looked incredible. I have only been here three months and I was doing well.

"You were like an animal. Always tense and scared. Always ready to bite first," he said as my eyes moved to him.

"I know. I'm going to fly. Enjoy the fire," I said and walked to the window.

I opened it and felt the wind rush through me. I breathed in deep through the scarf covering my beak. I was king of the sky. I was the master. I jumped out and crawled up the ice covered wall using my talons. When I got to the roof I pulled the goggles over my eyes. I ran and opened my wings catching the wild winds. I let them move me and steer me through the clouds. I felt alive. I was home. I shot up above the clouds and laughed. Joy surged through me and I swirled around smiling wide. The sun warmed my wings and the burned one was holding out great.

"I am king of the winds! I am Aaron!" I shouted and let my guard fall for the first time since the fire.