Age is Only a Number

The Tantrum

Jakob was in a mood – as Billie would often say – and when he got into these moods, it was best to leave him alone. This time was no exception; toys were thrown everywhere, books were scattered about, and clothing was strewn in all directions. Tré watched from the doorway as the little bundle, anger finally spent, lay sobbing on his bed. He looked so lost that Tré knew he had to do something. Unknown to them, however, were the effects it would have on their relationship in the long run.

Silently entering Jakob’s room, Tré laid down next to him. Jake lifted his head slightly, sniffling, to see who had disturbed him. After realizing it was only his uncle Tré, he cuddled up against his body and fell asleep.

A few hours later, Billie and Adie came home to find the two cuddling in Jake’s room. Nudging Tré awake was easy, but prying Jake out of his arms was no easy task. Jake seemed ready to fight – tooth and nail – to get Tré to stay put.

Billie and Adie, shocked at Jake’s determination, exchanged glances. It was then that Tré finally spoke up.

“Guys, can one of you hold your son?” asked Tré. “I really need to pee.”

Billie smiled, taking the sleeping form into his arms as Tré left. Unfortunately, Jake had just realized that Tré was gone, and was now freaking out.